It looks like I may be selling my Leaf...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again. Here's an update:

My wife and I spent a week in Georgia, and we thought it was actually quite nice. Our plan is now to buy a house in Canton, Georgia. That area is semi-sorta-rural, (kind of like a very spread out suburb of Atlanta, if I tried to describe it in Californian terms) so a Leaf is probably not a great "fit", range-wise. Coupled with the expense of shipping it out there, and my desire to get out from under the monthly loan payment, my plan is now to sell the car.

I'll be selling it to another Californian, so hopefully the refund issues we've already discussed can be handled with a minimum of fuss. I'll be following up with the relevant authorities in the weeks ahead. (I'm really busy, trying to get our house ready to sell, but soon I get it listed I should be able to spend more time on the Leaf.)

Man, that would be awesome if I could get more than $20k for the car, but I'm not going to count my chickens before they are hatched. I figured I would check Craigslist, and maybe eBay Motors to try to get a feel for what cars like mine are going for. It seems crazy to me that someone would pay close to $30k for a used Leaf, since they would not be able to get any rebates. It seems like $33k, minus the $7000-ish federal rebate, would be the max any sane individual would pay. And that assumes zero used-car depreciation.

I just called Mossy Nissan and asked for a used Leaf for 20k and they put me on hold while they laughed their asses off in the background. They came back on the line and asked me what I was smoking.

30k minimum for an SL (seriously) is what they said.

I think one sold on Craigslist for like 30k recently too. CA people will pay if they can get the HOV sticker faster too. A few months earlier in the carpool lane == priceless.

Here is the ad from Craigslist:

Used Leaf being sold, they are asking MSRP. Much more than 30k. If someone is willing to buy it, more power to them to "get it now" and "save against paying the premium"

===========

Nissan LEAF ELECTRIC (Newport Beach)
Date: 2011-10-18, 10:09AM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
We bought this car very recently when we did our final stage of ordering for our wait listed car....they had an "orphan" and offerred to sell it to us at a premium. We paid a premium of $1000....other dealers wanted (and all now apparently are asking for) $5000. They told us it would be until December before our car would arrive and we wanted the car right away. But, our car actually came in very soon after. We prefer the car that we ordered and have waited a year and a 1/2 for. So, we are willing to sell the car at sticker price ($1000 less than we bought it for very recently...as we are able to buy our car under sticker price becuase of the contract they made with us to buy form that dealship, and we realize that it is used now)...so, you can get a very nice (mint condition) nissan leaf and save $5000 now....or you can wait a year on the waiting list and get one that will be at a higher price...they are raising the prices already. THen we will both be happy with our new cars. It is red and has the solar panel.

the surprise I've had with selling green cars used is that there are a remarkable number of folks out there who philosophically, perhaps out of guilt, will not buy a new car, but are surprisingly willing to pay practically just as much for a used one with low miles. there have been times around here, a while back, where a used Prius was more than a new one... It's hard to believe, but it has happened. don't undersell, you'll likely have more than one chance and can always lower the price later.

DaveNagy said:
Hi again. Here's an update:

My wife and I spent a week in Georgia, and we thought it was actually quite nice. Our plan is now to buy a house in Canton, Georgia. That area is semi-sorta-rural, (kind of like a very spread out suburb of Atlanta, if I tried to describe it in Californian terms) so a Leaf is probably not a great "fit", range-wise. Coupled with the expense of shipping it out there, and my desire to get out from under the monthly loan payment, my plan is now to sell the car.

I'll be selling it to another Californian, so hopefully the refund issues we've already discussed can be handled with a minimum of fuss. I'll be following up with the relevant authorities in the weeks ahead. (I'm really busy, trying to get our house ready to sell, but soon I get it listed I should be able to spend more time on the Leaf.)

Man, that would be awesome if I could get more than $20k for the car, but I'm not going to count my chickens before they are hatched. I figured I would check Craigslist, and maybe eBay Motors to try to get a feel for what cars like mine are going for. It seems crazy to me that someone would pay close to $30k for a used Leaf, since they would not be able to get any rebates. It seems like $33k, minus the $7000-ish federal rebate, would be the max any sane individual would pay. And that assumes zero used-car depreciation.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

About Blink:

In the original contract with Ecotality, the worst that could happen is that they take away the Blink unit.

In recent updates, they have been known to put in a clause that could require you to refund the cost of the EVSE as well as the cost associated with the installation (up to $2650). If you didn't respond to their request to sign an "updated" contract, you should be fine.

Hi Dave,

I for one would be interested in the car if/when you do decide to sell it. Good luck with finding the right information vis-a-vis rebates, and please do keep us posted. :)

Hi, everybody.

Another progress report: I spoke to Colin at energycenter.org. (California Center for Sustainable Energy) It turns out that they have stopped letting people "pass along" the rebate when they sell a car. So, regardless of whether I take the Leaf out of state, or sell it, I will need to return a pro-rated portion of my California rebate. So, that's about $4,000 worth of bad news for me. Oh well. On the other hand, since I don't need to sell to another Californian, that increases my potential market. Maybe.

HOLD THE PHONE! Colin just called back to say that, actually, I might be able to keep the rebate after all. Apparently, they were burned in the past by people "flipping" Priuses, and decided they didn't want to deal with the hassle. But, for "special" cases like mine. exceptions can occasionally be made. He will let me know once a decision has been made.

Either way, I'm preparing to sell the car. I was thinking I would "list it" first on this forum, since, well, I like this forum. I guess I'll create a thread in the "Private For Sale, Want To Buy" sub-forum. If it turns out that it's preferable for me to sell only to a Californian, I might stick a post in "Local / Regional Discussions", too. If that's okay.

DaveNagy said:
Either way, I'm preparing to sell the car. I was thinking I would "list it" first on this forum, since, well, I like this forum. I guess I'll create a thread in the "Private For Sale, Want To Buy" sub-forum. If it turns out that it's preferable for me to sell only to a Californian, I might stick a post in "Local / Regional Discussions", too. If that's okay.
Sorry to hear about this. Wish you the best.

I do think you should be able to sell Leaf for over $30K.

evnow said:
That still sounds crazy to me, but man-oh-man, I hope you turn out to be correct!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how/where to sell it? Besides listing it on this site, would you recommend Craigslist? eBay? Somewhere else? I have very little experience with this sort of thing.

I talked to Ron at Northbay Nissan, where I bought the car. He said that the dealership would certainly be interested in buying the car back, but recommended that I sell privately, for mo' money.

DaveNagy said:
evnow said:
That still sounds crazy to me, but man-oh-man, I hope you turn out to be correct! Does anyone have any suggestions on how/where to sell it? Besides listing it on this site, would you recommend Craigslist? eBay? Somewhere else? I have very little experience with this sort of thing.
A used SV with rather high mileage was sold for $28,500 on eBay not long ago http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5951&p=150992#p150992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so I should think you can get $30K especially if it's made available nationally.

DaveNagy said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how/where to sell it? Besides listing it on this site, would you recommend Craigslist? eBay? Somewhere else? I have very little experience with this sort of thing.
I'd list everywhere - where it is free. if you don't get the right responses, then you can try e-bay.

It's to bad that you aren't bringing it to Ga. We would love to have another Leaf owner. If your moving close to Gainesville you can charge it at my Dealership.
If not, then good luck to you. When you get here and decide that you want another Leaf, look me up. I'm giving 1000.00 discounts on all Leaf sales.
Carl Eunice
Leaf Sales Rep
Carriage Nissan
Gainesville, Ga.
770-532-6335

Hi Carl.

I met you in August when we talked about the LEAF. I was the guy with the LEAF T-shirt. We were planning to move to Cumming but our house sale in NH fell through.

When we finally get to GA I will be seeing you again about buying (leasing) a new LEAF.

It is good to see you on MNL forum! And good to hear you are having good results with your LEAF sales.

DaveNagy said:
If you put the car on Cgaigslist, recommend you arrange meets with prospective buyers during broad daylight and at very public places.

Are there any DIY sales lots in your area?

Bill

ebill3 said:
DaveNagy said:

If you put the car on Craigslist, recommend you arrange meets with prospective buyers during broad daylight and at very public places.

Are there any DIY sales lots in your area?

Bill

Also, when doing a private sale, be VERY careful about any form of payment other than cash! Do NOT transfer title until you have confirmation that the funds have been transferred. Don't accept checks (of any kind) for an amount over the settled on price with a return of the excess either! If you accept a bank check, take it to the bank that issued it and cash it before transferring title. If you can't do that, wait for it to clear before transferring title.

Best of luck! Maybe we will bump into each other in GA when I get my move completed. :)

Thanks for the advice.

Jim, we'll be living in Canton, GA, so our paths may very well cross! :)

I figure that I will list the car on Craigslist, just because that seems like a good way to restrict the "audience" to people that are within Leaf-range. I will list it on this forum for a while first, however. I'm going to go create a post in the for-sale sub-forum in a minute.

EDIT: Or not. It looks like you have to me a paying member of the forum in order to post in there. I gave them some money. We'll see how long it takes for my status to change.

Regarding private sales, I'm lucky in that my bank, and my AAA office (which can do DMV stuff), share the same parking lot. So, if I get a buyer, we will go to the bank and deposit the money, together, and then go do the paperwork together as well.

I'm going to ask $26,000 to start. I'm totally pulling that number out of my... hat. Feel free to comment. :)

I was given special dispensation to "keep" my California rebate. I was told that I was the first resident to be given this benefit, and since they are changing their policy, I may be the last as well!

jimcmorr said:
Also, when doing a private sale, be VERY careful about any form of payment other than cash!

I don't normally accept cash, either. Bank draft transfered at the issuing bank, that is then made out to a check in my name to take to my bank (in other words, I paid cash for that check, therefore not connected to the buyer in any way that they could trace it to my bank, or stop payment on it, or report it stolen or lost.

I won't have to worry about being knocked over the head with $30k cash in my pocket, possibly by the very person who bought the car from me.

I created an actual "For Sale" thread here. I appreciate all the comments, ideas, and well wishes I received here. Hopefully I can find my Leaf a good new home, somewhere.

Questions and comments can be directed either here or there. I'll do my best to keep an eye on both threads.

Cool. Would be good to know the final outcome and what it ends up selling for, just as reference.

I'm unable to reply to your for sale thread, but just had a dumb question.... the buyer isn't eligible for any part of the $7500 Federal tax credit and wouldn't be eligible for any of the now $2500 CVRP, right?

If somehow a CA resident were still able to get a new orphan 2011 SL w/QC and had enough Federal tax liability, they should be able to get it for $33720 + $ 700 - $7500 - $2500 = ~$24420 or less, right? (The sales tax would be on the full price of the car though...)

Back