It it ok to sell your Leaf reservation?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgonzalez

Hi there,
I have a go-live Leaf reservation for this Month February 2011, is it ok to sell my reservation (I am located in Concord, CA)?

Order the car yourself, and arrange for a buyer to go with you to buy the car. I wouldn't care who I got the check from...

mossyleaf said:
Order the car yourself, and arrange for a buyer to go with you to buy the car. I wouldn't care who I got the check from...

Reputable dealers are not going to let this happen-- This is clearly in violation of the spirit of the whole ordering process that started 10 months ago. My dealer clearly said he would NOT sell the car to a third party that came with the customer.. and I applaud that!

Reputable dealers? If someone wants to transfer their spot and brings them to the dealer, then why not? Leon seems reputable and very upfront.

mossyleaf said:

The BIG problem with that is this: The original buyer will NOT get the $7500 fed tax credit NOR the CA $5000 rebate nor will the second buyer. So if they can find a buyer that's willing to forfeit that credit and rebate, and pay full price minus Leon's discount, then good luck finding someone.

LEAFfan said:
mossyleaf said:

The BIG problem with that is this: The original buyer will NOT get the $7500 fed tax credit NOR the CA $5000 rebate nor will the second buyer. So if they can find a buyer that's willing to forfeit that credit and rebate, and pay full price minus Leon's discount, then good luck finding someone.

I understand the state credit is prorated back if not held for 3 years, but what of the Fed? If someone purchases the car and sells it, why would they lose the Fed rebate? If this true only in the first year or if the car is sold after two? At what point does the original owner get to keep the credit free and clear?

garygid said:
I thought that to "qualify" for the federal tax credit, one should buy the EV without the intent to resell?
Correct. From http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml
The following requirements must also be met for a certified vehicle to qualify:
  • The vehicle is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale. (The credit is only available to the original purchaser of a new, qualifying vehicle. If a qualifying vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit.)
Ray

planet4ever said:
garygid said:
I thought that to "qualify" for the federal tax credit, one should buy the EV without the intent to resell?
Correct. From http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml
The following requirements must also be met for a certified vehicle to qualify:
  • The vehicle is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale. (The credit is only available to the original purchaser of a new, qualifying vehicle. If a qualifying vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit.)
Ray

Thanks....I'm not a big fan of rules being written on "intent" because it's difficult to prove. Although, if you are showing up to pick up the car with the secondary buyer....good luck at the audit.

mossyleaf said:

Though Leon would have to clarify himself, I read the statement to mean the reservationist orders the car, goes to pickup and orphans it, then presents a new buyer to purchase the orphan. This appears to be perfectly legal, and does not violate any credit/rebate criteria. The new buyer is the only buyer of record. The reservationist has canceled his order, and can get his $99 back.

It should be noted that the dealer is under no contractual obligation to sell the orphan at the previously negotiated price, or to the new buyer presented by the reservationist. Each dealership is free to decide how they want to handle day of pickup orphans.

Back