Is the Nissan Leaf Ugly?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I wrote this article over on InsideEVs... I'm expecting quite a controversial conversation from it.

http://insideevs.com/op-ed-is-the-nissan-leaf-really-ugly/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, it is. However, it's not as bad as a Gen II Prius (a car I owned for five years).

The Volt is more attractive (and the fact that its battery isn't going to reach end-of-life in less than three years, makes it even better).

it is not ugly. it is beautiful.
the front is an anime cartoon creation and the back, with the unique lighting array, is positively space age.

Hardly anyone ever notices it, it's just another car. No one has ever commented on the look, except my daughter, who says it's "froggy". Same headlights as the Rouge, but they look better on the LEAF.

Weatherman said:
Of course, it is. However, it's not as bad as a Gen II Prius (a car I owned for five years).

The Volt is more attractive (and the fact that its battery isn't going to reach end-of-life in less than three years, makes it even better).

Funny you say that.. I have owned many Prii, including a second generation. I thought it was a very attractive car. In fact, I think the 2nd gen is the best looking of all of them. I'll admit the 1st gen is very plain. I wouldn't call it ugly, but just plain boring.

Beauty is on the inside, mine would be more beautiful with a 10KW charger and and extra 50 miles in range.

The Leaf is not the prettiest car, and from some angles (particularly the front) it looks downright goofy. But I think the side profile, with its Murano-esque kick-up of the rear window glass, is the best looking view of the car, as well as the view from inside the car as you pass a gas station :lol:

When it was first introduced to the American public, the VW Beetle was thought to be ugly as well. But it is now considered a classic.

I'm going to quote something from the article that I'd like to discuss here:

Now, I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I also realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also realize there is not a car in existence that somebody doesn’t think is ugly. Heck, I’ve even been known to express my personal opinion about cars I feel are ugly. (The i-Miev, for example) Keeping that in mind, however, I don’t see other cars getting the amount of flack that the Leaf does.

The reason the Leaf is getting so much flack for its looks, when other equally (if not more) ugly cars don't, is simple: Besides Tesla, the Leaf has been the world's most well-known pure electric car. It had major advertising exposure long before the car was ready for market, and now nearly 1 out of every 2 EV's in the world is a Nissan Leaf. I've only heard the "1 out of every 2 in the world" description given to just one other car: the Ford Model T. Compare that to the iMiEV, where supposedly less than 1800 have been sold in the US since it was introduced here.

Except for the Tesla Model S, all the other major EVs are adaptations of existing ICEVs, so unless the thing is actually plugged in, few Americans will know how to recognize the EV versions of the Fit, Focus, 500, Spark, or Smart from a distance. Just like with the Prius, with the Leaf there's no doubt that it's not a conventionally powered car, though there's still a few that think there's a hybrid or some sort of range extender in there somewhere.

With that kind of publicity comes negative publicity as well. With higher profile targets come higher profile haters.

Crazy thing is some people actually think - something like this can be stated as a "fact", instead of it being subjective.

When I first got the Leaf I thought the bug-eyed look was rather strange, but within a few months I grew to like it so much that I don't want to give it up. The only reason to change the design would be because other people think it is ugly, and a more conventional design might sell better.

Women think it's cute; most guys think it's ugly. It's because of the back-end. As derrieres go, it's more masculine than feminine. But the rest of the car is not muscular so men don't find it attractive.

Most cars aren't particularly pretty. The only truly beautiful car I've owned is the original Miata.

Nice article. I guess I'm an engineer-type since I think fit and function are more important than visual aesthetics. Personally, I don't care what it looks like since I'm inside driving it. Getting into and out of the vehicle is more important to me since I often drive multiple, short trips less than 5 miles. Because of this, I've always had to replace multiple tail pipes, mufflers, starters, and alternators on my ICE vehicles (the real reason for my EV grin). Finally, my ICE never warmed up in the time it took to drive to work so I really like the EV pre-warming function. My advice: Enjoy and don't worry about what other people think.

One of the most successful ad campaigns and, arguably the most successful automobile of all time

vw_skindeep.jpg

I love the rear and the side profile, but the front of the car is ugly. It looks like a catfish. I would say, however, it is consistent with Nissan styling- so it's not like it's an Aztek.

Nubo said:
Women think it's cute; most guys think it's ugly. It's because of the back-end.

Because it looks like it has a big butt? Sir Mix-a-Lot may take issue with that :lol:

Back