Is The Nissan LEAF Styling Kind Of Homely??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELROY

I read and watch all the reviews on the LEAF, and many people seem to think the styling is somewhat "unattractive."

I personally think the front is nice and modern looking.

I think the rear haunches and tail lights would have been much better looking by styling it more like the Juke, with more muscular/rounded wheel well arches, etc.

Kind of ironic, the Juke's front end has been likened to an ugly toad, lol. So front of the LEAF and rear end styling of the Juke. How many forum members think that would have been an improvement on the current design??

20130222172343753.jpg

20121202125816904.jpg

You can see how similar the rear door windows and basic profile is between the two vehicles.

The back end just seems too narrow and unsubstantial when viewed from behind. And the angle of the lower tail lights, etc, just seem to accentuate that timid look. The Juke on the other hand has tail lights the kind of take on the personality of the 350Z.
I really think the Nissan would see a lot more LEAFs if it had a more appealing look to it.

teslaandleaf.jpg

While the look of the LEAF is often disparaged here I have had two strangers, both women, tell me that my car was "cute". It was clear that neither of them had the slightest idea that it was electric, just that it was an unusual new car they had never seen before (since I have the only one within 90 miles).

My impression from previous discussions on this topic is that more women like the looks of the LEAF than men. As for me, I have grown used to the look and I tend to judge cars on their utility, not looks, anyway.

There isn't a car on the road that somebody doesn't think is ugly. That's just human nature. I think the Leaf is fairly attractive and I've had about 5 or 6 comments over the last 2 years from people (all women) in parking lots that thought it was "cute" but didn't even realize it was an EV.

I do think the Volt is somewhat more attractive, though.

I think color may have a lot to do with the perception of proportions also. I originally wanted the Cayenne Red color, but they were sold out. I think the rear of the car looks best in that color, and then the Blue color would be next best in my opinion.

A few of my friends have said that they can't consider buying a Leaf because it is so ugly and weak, almost pathetic looking. Kind of how you want to kick over a Smart car when you see it on the freeway. This will be my last puny car purchase, now that other EV choices are available.

It does seem that the car's styling isn't disparaged as much by women. Hope Nissan has noticed that 90% of EV buyers are men, and that the Leaf's styling has left the majority of the potential market unimpressed at best.

DeaneG said:
A few of my friends have said that they can't consider buying a Leaf because it is so ugly and weak, almost pathetic looking. Kind of how you want to kick over a Smart car when you see it on the freeway. This will be my last puny car purchase, now that other EV choices are available.

It does seem that the car's styling isn't disparaged as much by women. Hope Nissan has noticed that 90% of EV buyers are men, and that the Leaf's styling has left the majority of the potential market unimpressed at best.

Hope Nissan will listen to this kind of feedback. It is actually nice that the LEAF is distinctive looking...just not in the right way. I mean a Honda Fit is a nicely performing EV...but I would actually be kind of disappointed that many people wouldn't even take notice of the fact that it is a BEV as there is not much differentiation between its ICE cousin.

I think the Leaf is ugly. I don't like the front or back styling, not even a little. I like the Prius, and was mad when Honda copied it. Hopefully Nissan will come up with a Infiniti BEVx that is really sexy before my lease ends.

DeaneG said:
Hope Nissan has noticed that 90% of EV buyers are men, and that the Leaf's styling has left the majority of the potential market unimpressed at best.

I believe its actually the other way around, a majority of car purchases are selected or strongly influenced by women.. otherwise Mustangs would be way more popular than Camrys and CUVs

Its great when the search function only comes up with a couple of hits.

From my own almost-one-year review, almost-one-year ago.
...I think the underreported story about the LEAF is what excellent rural/mountain vehicles they are. Best 2wd vehicle for the snow, I've ever experienced, and regen and battery capacity gives you access to energy, that ICEVs and Hybrids have to simply dump into the atmosphere, through their brakes...

I still find the LEAF a bit homely, but if I had a homely kid, I'd still love them...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DeaneG said:

I've never heard anyone say they would have bought Leaf but for how it looks.

This shows the limitations of anecdotal evidence.

One of the "pundits" in WSJ thought Romney would win Florida because she saw more signs for him when she went there.

If looks mattered that much, FFE would be selling a lot more than Leaf.

evnow said:
DeaneG said:

I've never heard anyone say they would have bought Leaf but for how it looks.

This shows the limitations of anecdotal evidence.

One of the "pundits" in WSJ thought Romney would win Florida because she saw more signs for him when she went there.

If looks mattered that much, FFE would be selling a lot more than Leaf.

The LEAF has been selling for a lot longer than the FFE. Many people aren't even aware of some of the other new BEVs out there now. But seriously, if the FFE is quicker accelerating, has better range, and has better handling for the same price or great lease deals, I think there WILL be lost sales of the Nissan LEAF. Which is sad, because I would love Nissan to be proactive and stay on top of the game. Again some of the attractive lease offers on the LEAF are probably more of the impetus for the stronger sales compared to the FFE, RAV4, FIT EV, etc.

i like the look in the front -- sort of anime car styiing.
and the back is distinctive and easy to spot.

no complaints here.
all the other hatchbacks look pretty much alike.

I didn't like the bug-eyed look of the Leaf when I first got it, but have grown to love the styling and wouldn't want mine changed. Every single woman I have shown it to (family and friends) thought it was "cute". The Leaf as a chick magnet? ;)

Stoaty said:
I didn't like the bug-eyed look of the Leaf when I first got it, but have grown to love the styling and wouldn't want mine changed. Every single woman I have shown it to (family and friends) thought it was "cute". The Leaf as a chick magnet? ;)
Yeah, women like 'cute' small cars. I had the exact same response 15 years back when I drove onto a community college campus in the Think City I was renting for a week. I was followed everywhere by squeals of 'what a cute little car!'. I suspect the VW Bug sold to women for much the same reason, at least when it was new and rare. Minis got much the same response initially, and I'm sure Smart cars did too. I suspect the iMiEV would as well, if anyone had ever seen one.

I think the main criterion to make a car cute is to make it look like a baby, i.e. with a head too big for the body and large eyes. Personally, I find the Leaf's looks homely but acceptable, as I place a much higher value on practicality than looks. There are, however limits: you couldn't bribe me to buy a Juke or Veloster, but I'd be fine with a Honda Element or Kia Soul.

I've had nobody come up to me and call it ugly. Some of my co-workers were more surprised that I would buy a Leaf in the first place though, as the car's "tree-hugger" image in the minds of some hardly explains what I am. I did endure a few taunts of "Go back to Berkeley!" and "I thought you were a conservative?" though :lol:

Even if someone did call it ugly, I'd just reply and say "How much did you pay for gas the last time you filled up?" I paid nothing." Another co-worker remarked to me just last night how I got my Leaf "in the nick of time" as In my area, premium is right around $5/gallon at a few gas stations. And he drives a newer BMW.

I never liked Leaf much - thought it wasn't standout enough. And where it stood out, wasn't all that nice (weird headlights).

But I actually like the Juke.

I think it will take quite a few years for companies to come up with really bold designs for a car that doesn't have the same constraints as an ICE does.

kentuckyleaf said:
I think the Leaf is ugly. I don't like the front or back styling, not even a little. I like the Prius, and was mad when Honda copied it. Hopefully Nissan will come up with a Infiniti BEVx that is really sexy before my lease ends.

I feel just the opposite. I think the Prius is ugly but my Leaf is very distinctive looking (though I wish it didn't have a simular profile to the Versa). Our "Froggy" is really cute. :mrgreen:

The eye of the beholder, certainly. Going beyond that a little, the LEAF is more an example of international styling - European styling to my eyes - than typical American vehicle styling. Thus, it is not appealing to the taste of many North Americans.

Anecdotally, a friend of mine who is an interior design professional with sophisticated tastes raved about the looks of my LEAF when he first saw it. It's worth remembering that all professional automotive stylists are educated and trained in the design arts, and presumably have more developed visual tastes than the average consumer.

The conversation about the LEAF's merits as an aesthetic object can't really be appreciated without an understanding that there are multiple design yardsticks around the world by which to judge it. That it may not pass muster in the (somewhat provincial) American market is not to say that it doesn't succeed as a surpassingly good example of international design. Ultimately, if the LEAF's styling isn't appreciated in this country, it likely says more about the taste of the market than the design quality of the LEAF.

OK, my take:

Juke: Hideously ugly.
Prius: Neither attractive or unattractive; just simply there...
Leaf: Marginally attractive in a science fiction/alien sort of way.

I do wish they had done more with the Leaf styling and design, and I'd also go for a less tall vehicle (which would also help aerodynamics and make it sleeker).

Back