Is Nissan likely to lower buy-out prices on leased cars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Could be the scale of each. My residual is $21,500. Let's just pull a number from the air and say the fair market price of it then is actually $16k. It's going to go at auction for under $15,000. Perhaps they shave $5000 of mine, sell it to me at $16-16,500. Now they make a bit more money and I sing Nissan's praises forever about how they sold me the thing for so much less :)
I'm fairly sure, they would prefer another Leaf sale. Besides, they wouldn't want to "renogotiate" the residual and set a bad precedent.

What I've heard is Nissan is working on some "loyalty" program that rewards people upgrading to 2013 Leaf. They want to move more MY13 Leafs - that is their main goal.

I Leased Mine as well. $299 per month + slight negative equity bringing the payment still under my traded vehicles payment.
Residual value at $17.5k on Dec 2015. (39month lease with 47k allowed for miles)
Currently Owe (payoff is 32k) there are numerous dealer owned LEAFS for $26k around the DC Metro Area. I would contemplate buying mine out of LEASE if they shaved a few K off it brining it down to the current market value, if not.... Ill just have to suck it up and turn it in at the end.

One reason to buy out now, Is i was hit with a Personal Propert Tax for the vehicle. Nissan is billed directly from the state/county, when personal owners of electric cars are exempt from personal property on vehicles, and military (myself, a FL resident) are also exempt from the personal property tax.

The additional $450 per year in taxes makes me want to buy it out, or trade it for another car....someones always out to make a buck!

Of some importance here is that Nissan has committed to setting a replacement battery price sometime this spring. That could affect the value of the car if the price of a replacement battery were not too great. You'd have a near-new car for less than a near-new price.

I think used prices are going to be pretty low with so many of the original Leaf customers having opted for leases AND the new Leafs are coming down in price and adding desirable features. I'm thinking of leasing a 2013 and trading in my 2011 before the bulk of the leases come due. Factory leather, heated seats and the faster charger are pretty cool and the lease payment would be considerably less than my loan payment.

2011 Leafs in 2014 for $15,000? That seems plausible. Going to be some really good opportunities for people who couldn't afford a new Leaf to get into electric cars!!!!!!

SteveInSeattle said:
I think used prices are going to be pretty low with so many of the original Leaf customers having opted for leases AND the new Leafs are coming down in price and adding desirable features. I'm thinking of leasing a 2013 and trading in my 2011 before the bulk of the leases come due. Factory leather, heated seats and the faster charger are pretty cool and the lease payment would be considerably less than my loan payment.

2011 Leafs in 2014 for $15,000? That seems plausible. Going to be some really good opportunities for people who couldn't afford a new Leaf to get into electric cars!!!!!!

This doesn't seem plausible after looking at the CURRENT prices of NEW 2012 leafs. $19,499 for cars with six miles on the odo. That is all over too. Not just one dealer selling one car. It made me sick to see the prices my car is going for new 11 months after I got mine! If only I didn't buy into the hype price!

I have never heard of a leasing agency selling you the car you just returned for less than the stipulated residual.. not sure why, they probably are not setup to sell returns and it goes straight to the auction.

Herm said:
I have never heard of a leasing agency selling you the car you just returned for less than the stipulated residual.. not sure why, they probably are not setup to sell returns and it goes straight to the auction.

It depends on the company. For example, GMAC doesn't negotiate anymore, but NMAC still does. If they don't feel they can auction the car for close to residual or more, they will negotiate. The residual was obviously over-inflated for the LEAF (and still is), so I think if Nissan will be screwed if they have to take back all these cars.

evnow said:
...What I've heard is Nissan is working on some "loyalty" program that rewards people upgrading to 2013 Leaf. They want to move more MY13 Leafs - that is their main goal...

I hope it is generous. I bought a 2011, and plan to trade it in for something else in the next couple of years.
Perhaps a 2013/2014 LEAF, or an EV from another manufacturer. (If nothing good enough comes along I wait for Tesla Gen3 sedan.)

You can count on there being lots of effort put into making sure Leaf lessees don't wander off the plantation when the lease is up. If not another Leaf, maybe another Nissan or Infiniti would interest you?

ksnogas2112 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I think tbey will take the 3year lease cars, drop a new pack in themand sell them for $20,000 all day long
I don't think so Dave. As long as 28000-7500 is there no one will buy a used for 20k until gas is at $5/gal.

Yeah, confused why you would buy a used car for $20k when you can buy a new car for $21k, or lease it??

ksnogas2112 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I think tbey will take the 3year lease cars, drop a new pack in themand sell them for $20,000 all day long
I don't think so Dave. As long as 28000-7500 is there no one will buy a used for 20k until gas is at $5/gal.

uhhh ya but not an equal thing

* one has several $$ of bling the S does not have

* not all can get that $7500

and then again, they may sell them at $18k. i fully think that they can get new batteries VERY cheaply after the various factories iron out the kinks

LTLFTcomposite said:
If not another Leaf, maybe another Nissan or Infiniti would interest you?

They brought me into the brand but have no other product to interest me other than the LEAF. I would imagine most LEAF lessees feel the same way and have little brand loyalty. What can I upgrade to that I can also afford? An SL maybe.

At this point, it's looking like I might go to Ford once I turn in the LEAF (unless I can negotiate a great deal on the buyout). I'm hoping there are a lot of options in 2015.

kubel said:
At this point, it's looking like I might go to Ford once I turn in the LEAF (unless I can negotiate a great deal on the buyout). I'm hoping there are a lot of options in 2015.
Leaf will likely remain the best value in EVs for years to come.

kubel said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
If not another Leaf, maybe another Nissan or Infiniti would interest you?

They brought me into the brand but have no other product to interest me other than the LEAF. I would imagine most LEAF lessees feel the same way and have little brand loyalty. What can I upgrade to that I can also afford? An SL maybe.

no matter what?? even if you got much more amenities, better range and a LOWER price you would not be tempted?

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_vehicles/1207_infiniti_le_from_concept_to_ev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA said:
no matter what?? even if you got much more amenities, better range and a LOWER price you would not be tempted?

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_vehicles/1207_infiniti_le_from_concept_to_ev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link.

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks for the link.

no problem!! the LEAF might have been the first to start the new EV revolution, but this is the car that will create the buzz. it wont be over the top like the Tesla. it will just be a better fit for a greater amount of people. not mainstream mind you, just another niche. but the niches are getting bigger and bigger

DaveinOlyWA said:
evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks for the link.

no problem!! the LEAF might have been the first to start the new EV revolution, but this is the car that will create the buzz. it wont be over the top like the Tesla. it will just be a better fit for a greater amount of people. not mainstream mind you, just another niche. but the niches are getting bigger and bigger

I like the Infiniti LE but if it does not have liquid cooling TMS and true 100 mile range with heater or a/c on, they will be getting my Chili back and moving on to something else.

Ian B

Back