Is Carwings glitchy for you?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oceanblueleaf said:
I have an iphone 5. yesterday it switched to LTE when we didn't have LTE coverage here before?????
i read in a few places before that carriers were hoping legacy 2g customers would cancel services to free up frequencies for LTE???
i was also told that the leaf cellular radios are 2g only?
speculations at this point but could we be having 2g issues with AT&T?
anybody has a 2g phone that can confirm if it's still working?

All my communications with the car are via wi-fi.

eclecticflower said:
I later pushed the stop button on the EVSE so I could turn on climate control (maybe I didn't have to do that?).
Nay, nay. The car uses the charger to run the CC and the EVSE doesn't know the difference between that, and charging the car. To the EVSE, the car's charging when climate control is running from it. So telling the EVSE to "stop" will probably make the car now think it's unplugged. Not 100% on that (I've never used the buttons on an EVSE with them - just use the upgraded EVSE "brick" at home), but it's probably better to just turn CC on and the car will override the charge if it's set to do so (I think remote climate control always does).

Only weirdness with being plugged in is that *only* air-conditioning will run from the charger while the car's charging when you're inside the car - but NOT heating. If you turn the car on while it's plugged in, and try to use the heater, you'll just get cold air! Maybe a 2011 thing fixed for 2012 or a firmware update I don't have, but kinda frustrating. I've got far too much experience sitting in the LEAF for 4-6 hours at charging stations waiting for a charge while on a weekend road-trip to/from San Jose... :p

mwalsh said:
oceanblueleaf said:
I have an iphone 5. yesterday it switched to LTE when we didn't have LTE coverage here before?????
i read in a few places before that carriers were hoping legacy 2g customers would cancel services to free up frequencies for LTE???
i was also told that the leaf cellular radios are 2g only?
speculations at this point but could we be having 2g issues with AT&T?
anybody has a 2g phone that can confirm if it's still working?

All my communications with the car are via wi-fi.

to my knowledge there the leaf does not have WiFi features.
http://www.larrymillernissan.com/nissan-leaf.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Okay, this morning after several attempts I got the heat going through Carwings - past time to leave for work and I can't get carwings to turn it off. Is there a key combination that will turn the heat off from inside the cabin while plugged into EVSE? When I press the off/on button the whole thing lights up and flashes. I can't afford the battery usage for heat so I have to heat up before leaving and ride it out as long as it lasts.

No, I haven't searched the manual but then again, I suspect Nissan figured Carwings was fool proof and wouldn't need a work around (just like we wouldn't need a fan on without heat). I already spent money to fix that little oversight.

Thanks for any tips.

UPDATE - I unplugged and the CC went off. No more waiting around for Carwings to turn it off for me.

The problem is with the servers at Nissan. All communications with your car go over a cellular connection. You can set the climate control timers in the car to turn on the heat, and these work regardless of the presence or absence of a cell signal. It's a pain when your schedule is irregular; however.

zowland said:
The problem is with the servers at Nissan. All communications with your car go over a cellular connection. You can set the climate control timers in the car to turn on the heat, and these work regardless of the presence or absence of a cell signal. It's a pain when your schedule is irregular; however.
^ ditto.

That's why timers would be a solution - they're entirely separated from Carwings. And the car also doesn't have Wi-Fi, which is a completely different kind of local-network setup that operates totally differently from a cell-phone service that the car's telemetrics unit uses. Just to clear a few things up... :geek: Although I am curious about the "HomeLink" transceiver thing that's said to be part of the car as well... never heard of such a system before LEAF. All's I know it does is open garage doors and apartment gates :lol:

This morning I plugged in the car and tried Carwings to get CC from wall power.
Tried a couple times to get CC started to no avail. So I went out to the car
and pushed the on button twice and set CC to auto and went back inside
to get kids ready. Twenty minutes later I went out and the car was still
cold! CC was just blowing cold air around, and none of the windshield frost
was melted! Packed the kids back inside the house, removed the plug
from the car, and really turned the car on. Another 15 minutes later the
car was warm and ready to go.

Tomorrow I will try setting the CC timer in the morning instead of trying
to turn the car on. Unfortunately, I never seem to be able to leave within
the same 15 minute interval, so I'd hate to waste CC joules or come
out to a car that used to be warm 15 minutes ago. Is this the only way
to get CC preheat from the wall when Carwings isn't working?

I really wish there was a button that did the same thing as CW in the car
or on the fob. *sigh*

Yes CW continues to disappoint. Set timer with it late last night. It appeared to work. The signal never made it to my car though. It was cold this morning. I was trying to check to make sure it was on (remotely with my Iphone while brushing my teeth) but I was dressed, packed up and in my cold car before CW could deliver status. (still hasn't).

Chris

ChrisBriley said:
Yes CW continues to disappoint. Set timer with it late last night. It appeared to work. The signal never made it to my car though. It was cold this morning. I was trying to check to make sure it was on (remotely with my Iphone while brushing my teeth) but I was dressed, packed up and in my cold car before CW could deliver status. (still hasn't).

Chris

Even when CW is working, if you want to "guarantee" consistent charging and/or pre-conditioning (like heat), use the timers built in to the car. When you turn the car off, the dash will always tell you whether they are on or off (and they always work if set properly).

Got my normal "Charging stopped" text this morning, but CarWings steadfastly refused any subsequent attempts at updates or climate control.

Being in IT myself it's hard to imagine a problem like this being unresolved for so long. But from my recollections of the LEAF reservation process, IT is definitely not Nissan's strong suit. :roll:

Nubo said:
Got my normal "Charging stopped" text this morning, but CarWings steadfastly refused any subsequent attempts at updates or climate control.

I haven't received a "charging stopped" text since last week; I've never seen it this bad.

FalconFour said:
Nay, nay. The car uses the charger to run the CC and the EVSE doesn't know the difference between that, and charging the car. To the EVSE, the car's charging when climate control is running from it. So telling the EVSE to "stop" will probably make the car now think it's unplugged. Not 100% on that (I've never used the buttons on an EVSE with them - just use the upgraded EVSE "brick" at home), but it's probably better to just turn CC on and the car will override the charge if it's set to do so (I think remote climate control always does).

Only weirdness with being plugged in is that *only* air-conditioning will run from the charger while the car's charging when you're inside the car - but NOT heating. If you turn the car on while it's plugged in, and try to use the heater, you'll just get cold air! Maybe a 2011 thing fixed for 2012 or a firmware update I don't have, but kinda frustrating. I've got far too much experience sitting in the LEAF for 4-6 hours at charging stations waiting for a charge while on a weekend road-trip to/from San Jose... :p

Yes, cutting off the ESVE will result in the heater running on battery power. Better to leave ESVE plugged in and in ready to charge mode. When heater comes on (CC timer or Carwings command--whenever the latter really works again), the ESVE will power up and run the heater on wall power.

If charging and heating at the same time, charging may take priority over heating, depending on how you have configured the priorities in the climate control settings. AC takes less energy than heating, so there may be enought juice to charge and run the AC at the same time. My heater uses over 3,000 watts when it first turns on; the AC probably half that or less, if I remember correctly.

Remember that the climate control timer in the Apple App or Nissan web page sets the time the heat comes on, and the heat stays on for up to a couple of hours if you are plugged in and the climate control has priority; if I remember correctly, it only stays on for 15 minutes if car is not plugged in since it is running on the battery.

The climate control timer in the car is different--the time you set is when you plan to depart, and the car calculates when it needs to turn on before that to heat up the car. If you end up leaving late, the heat will have already gone off (but the car will still have some residual warmth).

FalconFour said:
Although I am curious about the "HomeLink" transceiver thing that's said to be part of the car as well... never heard of such a system before LEAF. All's I know it does is open garage doors and apartment gates :lol:

Yes, Homelink is like a universal remote for your TV. I t learns what signals your garage door transmitter sends, and then can send them from the car. Nothing to do with Carwings.

It's completely stuffed. Four attempts to get cc to go on this morning. Twice there were connection errors; one time I got kicked off the server entirely and had to log back in; and the fourth time I got the DNS error some have been seeing.

I did end up starting the car and running the cc manually for a half-hour. But it absolutely did not get as warm in the car as it would have done with the remote cc (have no clue why). However, it didn't cost me any SOC, which I suppose it good.

This has gone from mildly irritating to completely unacceptable, and today I'll be emailing any and all contacts I have at Nissan corporate to let them know it. I've had enough of us getting nowhere with the help line. In my mind, this is pretty endemic of how we've been treated this year as owners concerned with the small (but significant to us) issues we've had this year.

mwalsh said:
This has gone from mildly irritating to completely unacceptable.
The Nissan app for android is clunky to begin with. But it is truly annoying when it doesn't even work. How can a simple system be performing so poorly for so long? Swamped by customers? Probably not. Are they transferring US users to US-based servers in conjunction with MY13 production? Or maybe just good old-fashioned incompetence?

Back