Is black grime a Leaf phenomenon or normal for white cars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TickTock

The Leaf was my first white car purchase - I generally prefer color but was worried that the AC would be wimpy and wanted to make sure the load was kept as low as possible (I live in Phoenix, AZ). Luckily the AC rocks but now I am noticing a fine layer of black grime developing weekly - particularly on the back panels. It started out very bad at first and I thought maybe the dealer put something on the tires that was flying off. However 2 months later, I still have to wipe down the car down regularly (at least weekly) to avoid buildup. I was wondering if this happens to all cars and you only notice on a white car or if maybe the special eco-tires on the Leaf were the culprit. Any one else notice this on their Leaf or other ICEs?

Remember the old adage: " Bugs never die on an aerodynamic surface!" :lol:

mwalsh said:
It's not just on the white LEAFs. But it's also a problem common to many hatchback designs, and probably more so for the LEAF due to it's aerodynamics.

Normal on LEAFs of all colors.
Visually less obvious on Black, I suspect.

Likely the airflow under the car designed to produce a turbulance
over the back hatch helps to bring up and deposit this road "grime".

that is really funny. you didnt realize how much **** all those ICE and diesels pour in the air, along with all the trucks, railroads and, if you live near one of our glorious ports, the bunker fuel burned to import all that stuff from Asia, including the Lear.

At least, in California, they are no longer allowed to burn bunker fuel near the coast or in the ports... These days, modern cars are so clean - be it gas or diesel - it is mostly stationary, truck and other industrial sources that emit particulates...

thankyouOB said:
that is really funny. you didnt realize how much **** all those ICE and diesels pour in the air, along with all the trucks, railroads and, if you live near one of our glorious ports, the bunker fuel burned to import all that stuff from Asia, including the Lear.

U023 said:
Would splash guards reduce the dirt build up on the back on of the Leaf by much?

I would think not. I currently drive (and will be keeping alongside the Leaf when it comes) a Subaru Forester. It was my first hatch-back and from many trips to the snow and in the rain, I can tell you that the rear windshield wiper is not a nice-to-have, it is a neccissity. In rain, dirty water, basically anything, the turbulent wind deposits most of it on the back hatch (even with the mudflaps). When I get home from driving to the snowy mountains in the winter the rear hatch is typically completely covered in dirt because of what is kicked up along the drive. The Subaru is a dark, gunmetal gray and in dry weather I don't see much, but I would presume that it is very noticeable on a white car. My Leaf will be red so hopefully won't be as bad. I'm thinking the mud flaps wouldn't be a bad choice though, but for other reasons.

drees said:
mwalsh said:
That "dust" will also contain a good amount of rubber.
Brake dust, too. Another benefit of regenerative braking.

You mean brake dust from other cars? If you're talking about the LEAF, surely the opposite would hold true? I'm actually ending up with cleaner wheels between washes due to a lack of brake dust.

mogur said:
At least, in California, they are no longer allowed to burn bunker fuel near the coast or in the ports... These days, modern cars are so clean - be it gas or diesel - it is mostly stationary, truck and other industrial sources that emit particulates...

thankyouOB said:

Yea on the ships, but they dont plug in, they just keep running their engines dockside.
and the shippers are doing everything they can to avoid using the even cleaner fuels, even to the point of refusing PORT of LA subsidy to cover the costs.

mogur said:

Yes, technically you are right, but also wrong in the big picture. Working for an MPO, we are in charge of air quality and monitoring in the DFW area. While cars and other vehicles produce less pollution than industry (power plants, cement plants, etc.), the cumulative effect is greater for cars since there are more and they are used more often.

Take the idea of a mower, produces more pollution than even most industires and way more than cars, but because we use it so infrequently (like once a week for a couple of hours) the impact on region air pollution is small. Yes it makes a difference (everything does), but it doesn't compare to volume and amount of usage. At that point, cars and vehicles are the #1 source of ozone type and greenhouse gas emissions than any other source.

U023 said:
Would splash guards reduce the dirt build up on the back on of the Leaf by much?
I have them. It doesn't help.
As stated above it's not just the white Leafs, but more to do with the hatchback design. My blue LEAF does the same.
I've had a number of white cars and in general white cars look the cleanest. Black cars show every speck.

mwalsh said:
drees said:
mwalsh said:
That "dust" will also contain a good amount of rubber.
Brake dust, too. Another benefit of regenerative braking.
You mean brake dust from other cars? If you're talking about the LEAF, surely the opposite would hold true? I'm actually ending up with cleaner wheels between washes due to a lack of brake dust.
Yes - wheels stay nice and clean on the LEAF. I'm sure the back of the car is covered with brake dust from other cars. I know that brake dust is a significant source of pollution along roadways. Imagine if all cars had regenerative braking!

Pipcecil said:
Take the idea of a mower, produces more pollution than even most industires and way more than cars, but because we use it so infrequently (like once a week for a couple of hours) the impact on region air pollution is small.
If you consider 5% small for a tiny amount of use... and that's averaged over the nation - emissions are much higher in suburban areas. That could easily be basically eliminated if people would use electric mowers for your typical yard and install emissions equipment on larger mowers used for large areas. One hour of lawn mower use is like driving a gas car for 100 miles in terms of emissions.

Whenever a neighbor mows their lawn with their gas powered mower I find the stink unbearable. No suck problems with my electric mower. I wish they all would switch to electric mowers.

drees said:
Pipcecil said:
Take the idea of a mower, produces more pollution than even most industires and way more than cars, but because we use it so infrequently (like once a week for a couple of hours) the impact on region air pollution is small.
If you consider 5% small for a tiny amount of use... and that's averaged over the nation - emissions are much higher in suburban areas. That could easily be basically eliminated if people would use electric mowers for your typical yard and install emissions equipment on larger mowers used for large areas. One hour of lawn mower use is like driving a gas car for 100 miles in terms of emissions.

Whenever a neighbor mows their lawn with their gas powered mower I find the stink unbearable. No suck problems with my electric mower. I wish they all would switch to electric mowers.

Go one better an put in a lawn that doesn't need water or mowing.

Back