Is 50 miles freeway range normal?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for good news! I got cold feet for a moment. Have an opportunity to charge my car at work - we have few L1 chargers already installed in the garage. Don’t know if I will be able to convince management to upgrade them to L2.

CASF said:
Thank you all for good news! I got cold feet for a moment. Have an opportunity to charge my car at work - we have few L1 chargers already installed in the garage. Don’t know if I will be able to convince management to upgrade them to L2.

8 hours of L1 will get you 35-40 miles back.

OrientExpress said:
I drive from South San Jose to Pleasanton over the Sunol grade which is 72 miles round trip, I set the cruise control to 65 Mph except to the top of the grade where I slow down to 50-55, drive in eco mode, and have the air conditioner on set to 79 degrees. I end the trip with 2 bars and 18 miles displayed.

Hi --

Thank you for responding to my post, I certainly appreciate it. I have a friend Pleasanton and I will try to benchmark my Leaf using the data you provided next time I'm going to visit them. It should be a nice drive and I look forward to it.

Best,
George

It would be informative if you could determine how many kWh you put in when you charge it. I realize not everyone can do this but maybe you know someone with a TED or a Blink. Actually, just the time it takes to charge it can tell you something.

gbarry42 said:
It would be informative if you could determine how many kWh you put in when you charge it. I realize not everyone can do this but maybe you know someone with a TED or a Blink. Actually, just the time it takes to charge it can tell you something.

Yes, I could do this at a Coulomb station. There are a few in our area.

You should be able to get more than 50 miles on the freeway (unless you're driving 80 or something like that). Today, the Coast Nissan dealership in San Luis Obispo was nice enough to let me take a 78 mile test drive (from the dealership to my house round-trip). I started at just shy of 100% charge and made it 78 miles with the air conditioning on (78 degrees climate setting) and 60 MPH (cruise control most of the way). This also includes going up and over Cuesta Grade which is about a 1,200 foot climb. I finished with 4 miles left according to the "range guesser" and I still had one bar left.

I was a little concerned a few times (range anxiety) as this was the first time I've taken this car for a real test drive. Mine comes in next month and I plan to make that commute everyday. At this point I'm not holding my breath about being able to recharge at work, but I will keep working on getting that option at my office.

Wow, that was a nice test drive. Yay for dealer demo cars. No way they'd let you take a test drive that long in a car they planned on selling as new!

yes, I get 50 miles as well, but there are so many factors in play here (hills, temperature, speed, lots of acceleration), so just because someone gets 80 doesn't mean you will.

You might want to check that your full charge is in fact very close to 281 battery value (your dealer can do this) and also check if there is one or more cells not playing well with others.

Also, check how far your car is off (if any) from the range chart linked in my signature. Your car should be able to meet or exceed those numbers and parameters. You might have to find a relatively level road for the test, with good tire pressure (42-44), and normal temps.

If you pass those landmarks, I think you'll find that technique on the hllls are the culprit.

My commute is from South San Jose to Mountain View, 55 miles round trip (95% highway 85). I keep my speed between 55-60 and I average 5 miles/kWh (per the dash display) which translates to 105 miles of range with a 100% charge. I use about 4 bars each way.

The dash miles/kWh indicator is a much better indicator of how much range you can expect for a given trip, as long as you reset it for each trip. If your MPK reading is high, but you're not getting the range you are expecting (i.e., the bars are disappearing faster than you expect them to), then the problem may be with your battery. If your MPK reading is low, then the problem is more likely to be environment, speed, use of cruise control and/or climate control, etc.

SparkyEV said:
The dash miles/kWh indicator is a much better indicator of how much range you can expect for a given trip, as long as you reset it for each trip. If your MPK reading is high, but you're not getting the range you are expecting (i.e., the bars are disappearing faster than you expect them to), then the problem may be with your battery. If your MPK reading is low, then the problem is more likely to be environment, speed, use of cruise control and/or climate control, etc.

Yes, this is one of the most valuable things I took away from this thread. I reset the indash MPK indicator before every trip now and it helps tremendously, it's much better than using the guessometer or relying on an MPK average from multiple trips. My MPK is between 4 and 5 on the flat stretch of 101 between 237 and Montague Expressway. Having this number makes it a lot easier to cut into the last two bars without fear of getting stranded.

OrientExpress said:
I drive from South San Jose to Pleasanton over the Sunol grade which is 72 miles round trip, I set the cruise control to 65 Mph except to the top of the grade where I slow down to 50-55, drive in eco mode, and have the air conditioner on set to 79 degrees. I end the trip with 2 bars and 18 miles displayed.

this would imply about 90 miles capacity? this is amazing... are you still getting these numbers?

surfingslovak said:
OrientExpress said:

Hi --

Thank you for responding to my post, I certainly appreciate it. I have a friend Pleasanton and I will try to benchmark my Leaf using the data you provided next time I'm going to visit them. It should be a nice drive and I look forward to it.

Best,
George

I also commute from Pleasanton to San Jose (First St/Montague area). 27 miles one way. It takes me 3 bars (I charge to 80%). Return takes 4 bars typically for a total of 7 bars on average for the round trip. I trickle charge at work. The elevation change is -300 ft from Pleasanton to San Jose which accounts for the extra energy on the return. The Sunol grade will kill some efficiency due to the ~750 ft climb needed either direction. Since the dash reports 5.2 miles/kWhr my guess is that the bars are not equal. Even I pessimistically assume 3.5 + 4.5 bars for 8 bars per day, that works out to 6.75 miles/kWhr - which is what Carwings typically gives. We all know that Carwings calculations are garbage, don't we? :D

Forgive the noob question. I'm about to likely go and lease a Leaf in the next day or so, likely based on your responses.

I've been doing a bit of research as I'm looking for a commuter car solution.

I currently commute from South San Jose (Bernal/101) to San Ramon (Bollinger Canyon Rd/680) which google maps states is 46.9 miles (home to work). I own my own office so, I plan to do the 110v charge at work, likely about 7 hours.

I've been reading about the effect of temperature on the range of the Leaf - colder gets you less. According to the graphs I've seen, 32 degrees F will get you 50 miles on a 100% charge???

The Sunol Grade is my only real hill up and down between home and work.

I'm 180lbs, car will be relatively empty and will carry a 130lb passenger from time to time. 65-75mph.

The question for this forum is (especially since a couple of the responders are doing the San Jose to Pleasanton route) - is the Leaf a reliable source of transportation given my distance of commute?

Nissan is offering a lease deal of $2k down and $100/mo. How does the age of the batteries effect battery life?

What about traffic? Is returning in bumper to bumper traffic (sometimes found between Milpitas and San Jose on my commutes) a great issue? Is this going to leave me stranded on the road? What about a/c? what kind of percentage drop in range can I expect if it runs most of the time? What about other stuff like the radio and whatnot?

I'm really hoping the Leaf will solve my issues. Hopefully you all can shed some experience and light on whether it is my solution.

newownermnl
noob said:
I'm really hoping the Leaf will solve my issues. Hopefully you all can shed some experience and light on whether it is my solution.
Kudos for considering going all electric. This is a very old thread, but I think your question is best left for folks, who commute over the Sunol grade. That said, let me note that I drove my LEAF all the way to Modesto on one charge couple of times last summer. Granted, I was better accustomed to an EV than when I bought the car, and I've learned to drive much slower than I ever thought possible on the freeway. In my experience, the LEAF has lost about 8% of range after the first year, and additional 3% of range in the following six months. I'm mentioning all that to give you an idea of the vehicle's capabilities and limitations in the relevant topography and climate.

I think the commute you are considering is quite long, and not many LEAF owners are in a similar situation. As it happens, one of our directors is doing the opposite commute from Dublin to Santa Clara. So it's definitely possible, but you will depend on workplace charging 100%. Another thing to consider is that any side trips or errands during the day might become an exercise in planning and patience, since level 1 charging is very slow and will be just enough to replace the energy your LEAF consumed in the morning commute.

On the upside, quick charging stations are finally coming, and there is one in San Ramon as well. Ideally, you should be able to top off your LEAF in 15 minutes or so and recover enough range to drive home, whenever you had an emergency or an unexpected trip. Slow traffic on the freeway is good for efficiency. Speed is what kills range. If I were you, I would get an 2013 SV or SL. The heat pump is much more efficient than the old resistive heater. This will allow you to be more comfortable in winter, without sacrificing a lot of range. Winter driving will definitely be a challenge. Low ambient temperatures combined with rain can rob as much as 20% of range. If you add cabin heater and other factors, such as wind, it's easy to see why it's important to be more careful.

The LEAF should be able reliably drive about 40 miles, even if you consider all environmental factors and battery aging. If possible, I wold try to invest into a practical level 2 charging at work. There are more options available now. Please consider joining the local FB group as well.

noob said:
Forgive the noob question. I'm about to likely go and lease a Leaf in the next day or so, likely based on your responses.

I've been doing a bit of research as I'm looking for a commuter car solution.

I currently commute from South San Jose (Bernal/101) to San Ramon (Bollinger Canyon Rd/680) which google maps states is 46.9 miles (home to work). I own my own office so, I plan to do the 110v charge at work, likely about 7 hours.

I've been reading about the effect of temperature on the range of the Leaf - colder gets you less. According to the graphs I've seen, 32 degrees F will get you 50 miles on a 100% charge???

The Sunol Grade is my only real hill up and down between home and work.

I'm 180lbs, car will be relatively empty and will carry a 130lb passenger from time to time. 65-75mph.

The question for this forum is (especially since a couple of the responders are doing the San Jose to Pleasanton route) - is the Leaf a reliable source of transportation given my distance of commute?

Nissan is offering a lease deal of $2k down and $100/mo. How does the age of the batteries effect battery life?

What about traffic? Is returning in bumper to bumper traffic (sometimes found between Milpitas and San Jose on my commutes) a great issue? Is this going to leave me stranded on the road? What about a/c? what kind of percentage drop in range can I expect if it runs most of the time? What about other stuff like the radio and whatnot?

Per the CarWings route planner, if you leave San Jose on 12/12 bars, you will arrive in San Ramon with just 2/12 bars left. 120 volt charging will not leave you sufficiently charged for the ride back home, which CarWings says will use 11/12 bars.

As the car gets older and the battery degrades, you may not be able to make it on a single charge. If you drive like people normally do on 680, you may not make it either. You may be sitting in traffic freezing or sweating like crazy because you need a few extra miles from not using the HVAC.

For your commute, you may want to consider the Toyota RAV-4 EV if you really want to go all electric.

RonDawg said:
Per the CarWings route planner, if you leave San Jose on 12/12 bars, you will arrive in San Ramon with just 2/12 bars left. 120 volt charging will not leave you sufficiently charged for the ride back home, which CarWings says will use 11/12 bars.
Yes, while a longer-range EV or a Volt was better suited for this commute, I know someone personally who is commuting over nearly the same exact route in a LEAF, and has done so for about two years now. We only had level 1 workplace charging until a year ago as well. I have not used CarWings route planner much, and what you quoted sounds slightly suspect. What does it say for driving from San Jose to Modesto? I have definitely done that, and that's nearly twice the distance. Yes, I hyper-miled, and had range to spare when I arrived at the destination.

noob said:
<snip>
I've driven that route without stopping starting 10 miles south of your home and ending 28 miles north of your office, and with about 500lb over curb weight. ... But not at 65-75. I was driving 50-55. (Well, except for coming down the Sunol grade!) And, yes, you can drive 50 on I-680 with no danger of being rear-ended. 47 miles at 70mph takes 40 minutes. At 50mph it takes 56 minutes. So the question is whether you are willing to add 15 minutes to your commute to save spending $15/day on gasoline.

My 85 miles used an estimated 19kWh, so at the same speed your drive might use 11kWh; call it 22kWh round trip. 7 hours at 120v will add about 7kWh, so you have a total of maybe 27kWh to work with in the summer, maybe 24kWh in the winter. Using 22kWh is running it a bit close, but it is workable. If you are running lower than usual in the morning, swing by Bishop Ranch 6 and pick up a few minutes worth at the free QC station behind the building there. That should be less than two miles out of the way for you. Or, as surfingslovak says, get a 240v charging station installed at your office. Since you own the place that would solve all your problems, letting you start home every night with a full tank. Shucks, with that you could drive 65 both ways with no sweat.

Ray

surfingslovak said:
Yes, while a longer-range EV or a Volt was better suited for this commute, I know someone personally who is commuting over nearly the same exact route in a LEAF, and has done so for about two years now. We only had level 1 workplace charging until a year ago as well. I have not used CarWings route planner much, and what you quoted sounds slightly suspect. What does it say for driving from San Jose to Modesto? I have definitely done that, and that's nearly twice the distance. Yes, I hyper-miled, and had range to spare when I arrived at the destination.

As I mentioned a few weeks back on my "Santa Clarita Adventure Trip" I do find CarWings to err a bit on the conservative side. But for my particular driving style, not by much. While I drive the Leaf conservatively, I do drive it somewhat similar to an ICE. That means No I do not hypermile, and Yes I use the climate control. I also try to keep my speed at around 65 MPH when possible unless conditions such as traffic, weather, etc. dictate a slower speed. Even at 65 on the right lane of the freeway I get my share of tailgaters. I couldn't imagine going 50 in a route as heavily travelled as 680 unless traffic is backed up.

CarWings says driving from San Jose (Bernal and Monterey Hwy) to Modesto (Greyhound station downtown) over 152 will cause you to Turtle It just shy of I-5 even with a 2 hour top-off in Gilroy. Over 580/680 the car dies just shy of Standiford Ave even after an 8 hour charge at Las Positas College in Livermore.

noob said:

We can travel over 70 miles at 55 MPH and 32F in our 2011 LEAF with the heat off, including two 600 foot mountain crossings (one each way) that are much steeper than Sunol grade. Given that, I would think you could make your commute for a three year lease period, even with heat on, especially if you have a 2013 with a heat pump. As others have said, you will need a L2 charger at work to make your return doable.
noob said:
Nissan is offering a lease deal of $2k down and $100/mo.
Won't you go way over the miles allowed by the lease with your commute?

Back