iPhone LEAF battery status app looking for beta testers[Full

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arghh my luck. The adapter I have only supports Bluetooth and this app is WiFi.

Back to square one and I need to buy the one suggested in a previous note.

Works like a charm, right out of the box. Great work.

Questions:

Why does the Wifi adapter not able to connect to the Leaf CAN bus and get the data when the Leaf is Powered OFF and charging? The GID meter that connects directly to the OBD port through a cable is able to get the values while charging, but not on this one ?

Should I leave the Adpater ON when parked overnight?

mkjayakumar said:
Why does the Wifi adapter not able to connect to the Leaf CAN bus and get the data when the Leaf is Powered OFF and charging? The GID meter that connects directly to the OBD port through a cable is able to get the values while charging, but not on this one ?

Should I leave the Adpater ON when parked overnight?
I haven't tried while the LEAF is charging, but when the LEAF is off, there is no response to CAN messages.

The adapter does not need to be on overnight, it isn't being used. It does drain the 12v battery although pretty slightly. If you have a switch, its easy to turn it off overnight. OTOH, leaving it on overnight shouldn't cause a problem unless you don't power on the car for days.

I haven't tried while the LEAF is charging, but when the LEAF is off, there is no response to CAN messages.

Well, I am not sure if that is correct, because the GID meters that connect directly to the port through a cable, they all report live GID values and power being fed into the battery - when the leaf is charging and the power is off. It also wakes up and provides values when I press the 'Timer off' button - when the Leaf is OFF and not charging.

This is extremely handy for me to look through the window and find out how much the Leaf has charged and if it is enough for me to unplug it - all without powering on the vehicle.

Any feedback on this?

http://broadreachsoftware.com/products/leafStat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just bought a 2015 S.

We have a line of folks waiting for charging at work (L2)

I am looking for a way to monitor charging so I can go and move my car.

Will this app and device work? Can I leave it in while charging?

Tks

John

You should be able to set up Carwings to Text or email you
when the charging is complete.
You need to set up a Carwings account on line, and set up
the message conditions both in the car and on line.

There are also some LEAF apps that allow you to monitor the
charging progress via carwings, although the fullness estimates
are just the Bars seen on the dashboard display.

Congratulations on joining EVers.

Auspexian said:
I just bought a 2015 S.

We have a line of folks waiting for charging at work (L2)

I am looking for a way to monitor charging so I can go and move my car.

Will this app and device work? Can I leave it in while charging?

Tks

John

The Wifi range is very short, local to the car, and with the S model you don't get Carwings, but if the charge stations are networked, such as ChargePoint, you can monitor it with the networks app.

Otherwise, you'll have to figure out how many hours of charge you'll need and just go move the car when the time's up. Ballpark 2 bars/hr for a 3.3, 3-4 bars/hr if you have the charge package.

Thank you. Missed that on the research, no Carwings on 2015 S :oops:

garygid said:
You should be able to set up Carwings to Text or email you
when the charging is complete.
You need to set up a Carwings account on line, and set up
the message conditions both in the car and on line.

There are also some LEAF apps that allow you to monitor the
charging progress via carwings, although the fullness estimates
are just the Bars seen on the dashboard display.

Congratulations on joining EVers.

Great idea. Will download charge point app.

Any home charger can be connect to WIFI?

Tks

John

The Wifi range is very short, local to the car, and with the S model you don't get Carwings, but if the charge stations are networked, such as ChargePoint, you can monitor it with the networks app.

Otherwise, you'll have to figure out how many hours of charge you'll need and just go move the car when the time's up. Ballpark 2 bars/hr for a 3.3, 3-4 bars/hr if you have the charge package.

Auspexian,
From Carlsbad, you could drive to my house in Laguna Hills, or some other
nearby L2 charging location, and ride with me next Saturday morning to
attend our next LEAF Gathering in Santa Ana, leaving your LEAF to 'sip juice".

We will be gathering at the Hometown Buffet just 2 blocks East of I5 on 17th street.
I usually leave at about 7:30 AM from my house. HTB is 17 miles away, and opens at 8 AM.

There is also a Tesla S coming from the Dana Point area, and you might be able
to charge at the nearby Nissan dealer, just off I5. Let me know if interested, via a PM.

From the weak ELM WiFi device, you might be able to add a WiFi repeater, if your office
is not too far away, or too shielded. Or, use the repeater as a bridge between the
company's WiFi and the car's WiFi "network".

would this work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-iCar-ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-diagnostic-Multi-scanner-for-iOS-Android-iPhone-/131256977103?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8f8686cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sevenx7 said:
would this work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-iCar-ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-diagnostic-Multi-scanner-for-iOS-Android-iPhone-/131256977103?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8f8686cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sounds like it should work. But I haven't tested with it. Not sure if anyone else has tried this particular one. Looks like a new low price for a WiFi OBDII adapter and its very small as well.

dm33 said:
sevenx7 said:
would this work?
Sounds like it should work. But I haven't tested with it. Not sure if anyone else has tried this particular one. Looks like a new low price for a WiFi OBDII adapter and its very small as well.

The few dollars you save over the lifespan of the unit (and car) isn't worth the trouble to me. :)

sevenx7 said:
would this work?

If it follows the ELM327 protocol as advertised, then it should work.

Nubo said:
sevenx7 said:
would this work?

If it follows the ELM327 protocol as advertised, then it should work.
Easier said than done. I had a number of issues with some of the first adapters I tested. They handle responses differently, especially timing wise. I've since rewritten the communications code to make it more robust.

I agree with the general statement. It should work. If it doesn't work, I'm willing to help debug it and see if I can get it to work.

Back