iPhone 5...really worth it, again?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty spiffy to me.. I've been an Apple fan since the first nano.. That being said, not enough here to justify dumping my 4S any time soon.

As per upgrading dock connector, it was bound to happen eventually. I'm curious what the 8 pins are.. +5V, gnd, 2 for USB.. and 4 for some high speed data connection? They said it was all digital, which means that little $29 adapter has at least an audio DAC built in and possible even a video DAC if they're going to support the old video cables. I'm sure we'll see a lot of interesting devices for this mystery connector in the future. Of course it doesn't change anything for the Leaf (or any other car) as you still have bluetooth and a supplied cable from the 8pin to USB.

i have both 3G iphone 4S's and Droid LTE's and for the speed alone, i would do it in a heartbeat if using a 3G phone right now. the internet speed difference is unreal.

i can stream netflix to my droid 4G but its not even an option on a 3G phone. it only takes seeing a you tube video loading in 3 seconds a few times to convince most people

My wife's phone is due for replacement and her birthday is approaching, so I'll be ordering one of these beauties Friday.

We both have been Apple users since the days when Michael Dell declared that it would be in the best interest of everyone concerned if Apple would just liquidate. :lol:

My wife and I are getting a 5. It is not a technological leap from the iPhone 4S but we've been on iPhone 3G for ages and they are pathetically old and slow. I do plan to look at a Galaxy since it seems to be a good phone but having used Android I am not as impressed with it as iOS. Plus I just generally like having all my Apple devices work seamlessly and effortlessly with everything else I own without having to spend half an hour on the web trying to figure out the magical app or incantation that gets stuff to do what I want.

I was very happy to see them finally come out with a better dock connector! Reversible, people, it's reversible!!!! Why is USB (and HDMI for that matter) not reversible? They could have been so much better being reversible... When the connector is almost wider than the device you are plugging it into (iPod Nano/Shuffle) it is time for a change. As to the open-source comment--Apple has never been about open-source products. They are about proprietary, consistency, and a higher level of quality. You do sacrifice flexibility but to me it's a personal choice which road your prefer.

MrIanB said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but, the retina display really only comes to play when you want to take that phone picture and enlarge it without seen pixels as you enlarge it. To me a cell phone pix is just a pix, I do not print or anything. It is a memory of the moment. ...
No, the display really has nothing to do with the quality of the pictures the phone takes or how much you can blow them up. If the camera has the pixels, then you can zoom in and see them no matter the display.

The retina display simply gives you a more detailed display and allows you to either display more information, or more detail in an image. Some people will really like it and some just won't care.

As far as the "memory of the moment" a LOT of people are essentially taking all of their photos with smartphone cameras these days. Sure, a dedicated camera will do a better job, but the phone cameras are pretty good, and always with us.

I'm thrilled so far w/my iPhone 5 other than the one that Apple sent me was defective (earpiece audio quality problems, not repro via wired headset or speakerphone). Made an appointment at the Genius Bar, they confirmed the problem and swapped out my phone.

It is WAY faster than my iPhone 4. LTE/4G performance is WAY better than 3G on my iPhone 4 ever was. The maps aren't bad. I like the 3D building view. I'm glad to finally have some features that the iPhone 4 never got (e.g. Siri, voice text input).

I sold my out of contract 16 gig AT&T iPhone 4 yesterday for $230. :) Not bad...

ya, after getting the LTE droid, it took less than a day for me to realize that i would never go back to 3G speed under any circumstances. its bad enough when i have to do something on my SO's 4S. its sooooo pathetically slow getting online

I'd like to enjoy the luxury of an apple store, but in Maui we dont have one. Oahu does however

Mauileaf said:
I'd like to enjoy the luxury of an apple store, but in Maui we dont have one. Oahu does however

Luxury...ha ha ha....of an apple store .... ha ha ha. You clearly have never been to one.

coolfilmaker said:
Mauileaf said:

Luxury...ha ha ha....of an apple store .... ha ha ha. You clearly have never been to one.

We were talking about exchanging and getting our equipment fixed. If we cry to the minimum waged worker then we get what we want! Not some bull phone rep that makes you pay $$$$

No..its not "worth" it. Coming from a long time iOS user and recent Android transplant, i can't belive i lived that long with such a boring an non interactiver user interface. I got a galaxy S III recently and regret being stuck in the Apple brainwash for so long...its kind of sad/funny though how much sammy wants to be apple though...the gsiii is a blue phone and comes with white samsung earbuds...its a damn shame!

downeykp said:
It is always top of the line tech and a work of art.
Yes - esp. the maps. Looks like Picaso's idea of maps. More art than fact :lol:

photo.jpg

I'm keeping my over 3 year old 3GS another year at least. It still works very well, no problems with the battery or dock connector. I do love the rounded back of the 3GS and iPad2, hopefully they will return to this design with iPhone6 as the square form of the iPhone4/4S/5 is much less ergonomic.

Pardon me for actually asking a Leaf related question here, but does anyone have experience using an iPhone 5 or the new iPod Touch with the Leaf?

I currently have a 4th Gen' Touch. I use it in the Leaf via the USB input to listen to podcasts in a smart playlist. I also have an iPhone 4 (work provided) that I connect to the Leaf Bluetooth only for phone functions. This has worked quite well for me. My family wants some new devices, and I am considering replacing my Touch with the new one or an iPhone 5.

Can playlists on the 5th Gen. Touch or iPhone 5 be controlled via the Leaf control head?

BrianNX9O said:
Pardon me for actually asking a Leaf related question here, but does anyone have experience using an iPhone 5 or the new iPod Touch with the Leaf?

I currently have a 4th Gen' Touch. I use it in the Leaf via the USB input to listen to podcasts in a smart playlist. I also have an iPhone 4 (work provided) that I connect to the Leaf Bluetooth only for phone functions. This has worked quite well for me. My family wants some new devices, and I am considering replacing my Touch with the new one or an iPhone 5.

Can playlists on the 5th Gen. Touch or iPhone 5 be controlled via the Leaf control head?

I use my iPhone5 via bluetooth in the LEAF to listen to streaming radio, and it works very well, and all of the transport functions are supported too.

evnow said:
downeykp said:
It is always top of the line tech and a work of art.
Yes - esp. the maps. Looks like Picaso's idea of maps. More art than fact :lol:

photo.jpg

I think I'd take that left turn and quickly end up doping a j turn onto the on-ramp while texting and driving on 1 bar.

Got the 5 a few days ago.... seems to work ok. I don't really see an advantage or disadvantage to the size increase. Other than that, it feels like the old 4. That's good.

Back