Inverter capable of running the leaf charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

Has anyone seen an inverter that can run an EVSE and leaf charger? I'm flexible on the input voltage.

I need to offset some of my on peak solar to off peak. I want to charge batteries during the day and use it to charge the car at night.

I can say that my Prosine 1800 will shut down due to over temp in about 10 minutes charging with L1. I thought it would run it but maybe some power factor issue requires more apparent power. The inverter is in a compartment but overheats even with the door open. For what it is worth.... good luck.

Yeah I think this might do the trick.

http://www.solar-electric.com/maenms4444wa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

turbo2ltr said:
I want to charge batteries during the day and use it to charge the car at night.
Curious to know what batteries you are thinking of going with. I know the Morningstar series of MPPT charge controllers have voltage points that could be adjusted for LiPO4. Lead acid isn't too efficient at high SOC, and for flooded cells, is maintence intensive. Of course, whatever you go with is going to cost kilo-bucks! But you already knew that. :roll:

Jeremy

Well I have access to some Odyssey PC2150s. We've use them in our hybrid conversions for quite some time and they are very good batteries.

But yes, I looked at the ROI of such a system, and even if I pay nothing for the energy storage (I would pay something, but much less than retail), it still doesn't make much sense. Saving maybe a couple hundred a year, I'd need to replace the batteries before I got an ROI in it.

I should just run an extension cord to my neighbor and sell them power.. lol.

turbo2ltr said:
I should just run an extension cord to my neighbor and sell them power.. lol.
You say that in jest - but it's very likely cheaper and easier than trying to charge batteries! Round-trip efficiency of lead-acids is not very good, either...

turbo2ltr said:
Has anyone seen an inverter that can run an EVSE and leaf charger? I'm flexible on the input voltage.

All the Outback VFX inverters will do this. I have tested it at my off-grid cabin with my 10A 230V EVSE (drawing 2300 watts). Models are available in 12V, 24V and 48V input voltage.

Drawback is only the international 50Hz models will deliver 230V from a single inverter, the US ones deliver 120V. If you only want to charge the Leaf at 2.3kW, a single EU model is your best bet as the Leaf won't mind the 50Hz.

If you need 240V and 60Hz you'll need to pair up two Outbacks. The advantage of that is you now have 5.6kW available and can charge the Leaf at 3.7kW.

Back