I'm tired of eco mode in my 2013 Leaf S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
I have worked hard at changing my behaviour in the LEAF to always push the button to put it in Park before doing anything else.
I don't know what your "anything else" is likely to be, but normally the first thing I do when I arrive at my destination is to power the car off. That applies Park automatically. If for any reason I stop the impulse to hit the Power button, then I hit Park instead. I am a forgetful old man, but I haven't had any problem with that.

Ray

I'm with the OP. I drove the car in Eco for the first 4,000 miles on the odometer - with the intention of squeaking out every bit of energy savings - until one day I put it in regular drive. A much more enjoyable driving experience in my opinion. If I lived in an area with lots of hills I would probably suck it up and continue to drive in Eco, but I live in Chicagoland which is flat as a pancake. Eco is touchy, slow-feeling, and makes your foot ache from the constant pressure on the pedal. I never push the car to the limits of its range to test out the real-world difference between the modes and if I have to pay an extra nickel a week in electricity and toss an extra pair of brake pads on every few years for the much better driving experience so be it.

JohnTomaszewski said:
if I have to pay an extra nickel a week in electricity and toss an extra pair of brake pads on every few years for the much better driving experience so be it.

My experience with Japanese cars, including several other Nissans, is that the brakes tend to be undersized and thus the rotors will warp long before the pads themselves are worn out. I thought that was normal until I owned an Audi (my current "range extender") whose rotors remained un-warped for the entire 55k+* life of the pads.

While I don't know if this is going to be a problem with the Leaf, I'm going to use regen as much as possible for braking duties.

*possibly as long as 100k, the odometer reading at which the pads were changed. I got the car as a Certified PreOwned with 46k on the odometer so I don't know if the original pads were changed as part of that process.

I'm a new 2013 Leaf S driver. Do I understand creep can be a problem at a light because it's hard to keep the car still? Can't you just put it in neutral or park?

I would actually like a no regen d mode. I'm non traffic hwy conditions, it would be better to just conserve momentum then kick in regen on down hill segments. I know you can go to neutral, but that's annoying

I have long come to the conclusion that Eco mode is just a nuisance with no real benefit. You can get the same level of regen and better efficiency in D mode.

mkjayakumar said:
I have long come to the conclusion that Eco mode is just a nuisance with no real benefit. You can get the same level of regen and better efficiency in D mode.

While I generally don't use (or like) ECO mode, it did used to provide some benefit BEFORE they sabotaged the regen function with the last software update; the only thing ECO mode is good for now is in low traction (e.g. rain/snow) conditions since it dampens our natural desire to "floor it".

DougWantsALeaf said:
I would actually like a no regen d mode. I'm non traffic hwy conditions, it would be better to just conserve momentum then kick in regen on down hill segments. I know you can go to neutral, but that's annoying
You can also modulate the accelerator to give the equivalent of neutral for short distances, rather than shift to neutral, if that is more convenient. This is quite easy in Eco, which is mapped for constant power, as opposed to D, which is mapped very differently. Those who find it too much trouble likely aren't really interested in efficiency or hypermiling anyway IMO.

planet4ever said:
TimLee said:
I have worked hard at changing my behaviour in the LEAF to always push the button to put it in Park before doing anything else.
I don't know what your "anything else" is likely to be, but normally the first thing I do when I arrive at my destination is to power the car off. That applies Park automatically. If for any reason I stop the impulse to hit the Power button, then I hit Park instead. I am a forgetful old man, but I haven't had any problem with that.

Ray

not always parking. if were that simple, it would not be an issue. sometimes I am just stopping long enough to drop something off, pick someone up or in one case, simply wiping off my rear camera so I can see where I am going

Back