Ideal cruise control speed to optimize LEAF range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruimegas

Did anyone already tested the cruise control option of the LEAF and what speed should be choosen to optimize the range in a more or less flat driving circuit?

Thanks.

ruimegas said:
Did anyone already tested the cruise control option of the LEAF and what speed should be choosen to optimize the range in a more or less flat driving circuit?

Thanks.

I'm sure this (not the optimal speed, but the optimality or not of using cruise) has been debated before, if not here then among hypermilers in other forums, and I may be completely wrong, but my feeling (based on my experience driving a hybrid as well as conventional ICE cars) is that cruise control, if there is any traffic or any variation in the terrain (even if it's more or less flat), can't possibly be 'optimal' compared to interactive, anticipatory driving. If the question is "I'm going to use cruise control, period because I like it and it's easy - so how do I optimize my range given that?", that's one thing, but if the question is "how do I optimize my range? (by sticking to a maximally efficient speed at all times using cruise control)" I think the answer is "don't use cruise control". Being able to anticipate changes in terrain, regen opportunities, make accommodation for brief drafting opportunities etc. will provide more optimization. Counterarguments welcome...

I am thinking the slower the better so probably the minimum is about 25 mph to operate CC.
This theory is based upon batteries in general are more efficient at lower discharge levels.

If the climate control is on.... well that would take some math ;)

Anyway I plan to generally run mine 55-60 to have a reasonable balance between speed and convenience

ruimegas said:

Thanks.

Flat with no AC/Heater should be around 38. If you are using AC/heater, it is better to go faster.

38 mph is just about the sweet spot for a Prius as well. now it would seem that we would need to weigh the balance between speed, convenience, other electrical needs and practicality.

greater speed means more air resistance. but up to around 35 mph, the drag is relatively negligible.

with significant "optional" electrical needs like climate control, headlights, etc. the longer your time on the road, the greater the charge going to support those services. i am guessing only climate controls and headlights would use enough to be measurable.

as far as motor efficiency, there is no real transmission to speak of although someone did post some gear ratios, so interested in what the scientific word would be for optimization of speed verses power consumption.

now, i fully believe that to get the best from your Leaf, potential, kinetic energy and gravity needs to be fully understood and utilized, but i failed in my attempt to convince anyone on another "rolling hills" thread, so i will leave that subject open to reporting real life events

wsbca said:
ruimegas said:

Thanks.

I'm sure this (not the optimal speed, but the optimality or not of using cruise) has been debated before, if not here then among hypermilers in other forums, and I may be completely wrong, but my feeling (based on my experience driving a hybrid as well as conventional ICE cars) is that cruise control, if there is any traffic or any variation in the terrain (even if it's more or less flat), can't possibly be 'optimal' compared to interactive, anticipatory driving. If the question is "I'm going to use cruise control, period because I like it and it's easy - so how do I optimize my range given that?", that's one thing, but if the question is "how do I optimize my range? (by sticking to a maximally efficient speed at all times using cruise control)" I think the answer is "don't use cruise control". Being able to anticipate changes in terrain, regen opportunities, make accommodation for brief drafting opportunities etc. will provide more optimization. Counterarguments welcome...

I can't speak for the LEAF, but with my Honda Civic GX, I get MUCH better mileage on the hwy with my cruise on. I watch my ScanGauge II and it does better without my foot on the gas trying to maintain a steady speed. It's very difficult IMO to maintain a steady speed without using cruise. I can always tell when a driver isn't using their cruise because they speed up, then slow down, speed up, then slow down. There's no way they can get optimal mileage that way.

I know this doesn't exactly answer this questions, but I remember an early video of Mark Perry saying that the aerodynamics of the LEAF are most efficient at 62 mph. I was surprised it was at such a high speed.

LEAFfan said:
It's very difficult IMO to maintain a steady speed without using cruise. I can always tell when a driver isn't using their cruise because they speed up, then slow down, speed up, then slow down. There's no way they can get optimal mileage that way.

You sure? Check into "pulse-and-glide" and look up how the Prius MPG world record was set. There's nothing inherently "hybrid" about the methodology. Most cars also benefit from a more dynamic pedal application to use their engine only in the most efficient powerband.

GroundLoop said:
LEAFfan said:
It's very difficult IMO to maintain a steady speed without using cruise. I can always tell when a driver isn't using their cruise because they speed up, then slow down, speed up, then slow down. There's no way they can get optimal mileage that way.

You sure? Check into "pulse-and-glide" and look up how the Prius MPG world record was set. There's nothing inherently "hybrid" about the methodology. Most cars also benefit from a more dynamic pedal application to use their engine only in the most efficient powerband.

Yeah, but I was talking about ICE cars which is the only base I have to go on.

From Nissan webpage: (I still think a little slower might do even better)

Ideal driving conditions: 138 milesSpeed: Constant 38 mph

Temperature: 68 degrees

Climate control: Off

Driving on a flat road at a constant 38 mph means less air resistance, and therefore less energy use. And at 68 degrees, there's no need for climate control, extending the range even further. The result: a range boost up to 138 miles.

Back