ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what we have is the "bleeding edge" of that there is no doubt. very little has been done well at this point. WA has had great intentions but apparently has not provided the support needed to get the job done. now we can speculate as to why OR is done and neither CA or WA has even started yet but i have a feeling it has to do with legislation and other legal red tape across PUD's and whatnot.

the $100 Electric Vehicle tax pretty much put me in that frame of mind. now, i could be wrong, but in reading the literature provided, the deal seems to be too good to be true so what is the hold up?

i am sure its the "demand charge" issue. we know that exists in WA and CA, so what is the demand charge in OR? or has there been an exemption provided for EV charging stations?

i think it will all come together but not anytime soon. as much as OR has progressed, even they have a LONG way to go. Stringing QC's on I-5 is all fine and dandy but the real value of QC is having it available in town and on that count, OR only has a handful. when Portland Metro has 25 QCs then they will have something to talk about. right now, having them 25 miles apart on the freeway is nice, dont get me wrong, but i dont see that alone filling the needs of the masses.

I think you are forgetting that the bulk of DC QC's for WA state (something like 50 chargers) are not the green highway WADOT QC's but the Blink QC's that Ecotality was to install in the metro area. WA state, while missing deadlines is doing a much better job than Ecotality. Several of the green highway Aerovirnment chargers are in the ground and ready to be turned on... virtually nothing has happened with Ecotality, they won't even tell us any kind of time line.

saywatt said:
This string is missing the point I was trying to make a few posts back. Hey, I'm no fan of Ecotality, I signed up just to get the free charger, but Ecotality is not responsible for the ill planned and executed L3's on the West Coast Green Hwy. Ecotality's EV Project is a totally different program.

If we want to rant about the lousy system of QC chargers that we are going to get with the WCGH, lets at least put blame in the right place, Washington State. They are the ones who signed a contract with Aerovironment. :x

DaveinOlyWA said:
...i think it will all come together but not anytime soon. as much as OR has progressed, even they have a LONG way to go. Stringing QC's on I-5 is all fine and dandy but the real value of QC is having it available in town and on that count, OR only has a handful. when Portland Metro has 25 QCs then they will have something to talk about. right now, having them 25 miles apart on the freeway is nice, dont get me wrong, but i dont see that alone filling the needs of the masses.

I disagree, Portland/OR is way ahead of Seattle/WA. The way they are rolling out their infrastructure is much more forward thinking. 25 mile intervals instead of 40 is much better, they have been so successful they just got an extension of their stimulus grant for another dozen or so QC's, bringing the projected total to 35, meanwhile, WADOT is saying there is no more stimulus money to be had to add to their project. Portland State University, Portland General Electric, and the City of Portland have teamed up for an impressive research project already in place called the Electric Avenue http://pdx.edu/electricavenue/ with multiple L2 and an L3 charging station in place as of last August. If their was even a single QC in downtown Seattle, it would make a significant difference. Oregon is hitting crucial mile stones on time, encouraging the adoption of EV's, meanwhile, when we need it the most, WA state is lagging at the worst time, possibly missing the curve for encouraging EV adoption at what may turn out to have been a crucial moment for the industry.

Luft said:
... They just need to authorise Aerovironment to add more DC QC Stations so that the distance between any two is never greater than about 30 miles. This would require additional contracts and all of the hoop jumping that it takes. They shouldn't count ECOtality's DC QC stations as part of that. Let Aerovironment be responsible to ensure that we can travel the entire distance of I-5 and ECOtality can ensure that the high population density areas have sufficient QC stations. That will help promote price competition and be good for EV owners.

I think we need names and numbers so we can put pressure on the right individuals so that this thing gets done right.

I agree 100%!

I just wrote one of the WA state project heads the following letter:

There is a rising concern that Ecotality/Blink is going to fail to provide the metro area with DC QC's any time soon or even if at all. There are so many signs the company is in trouble, it's hard to count. The L2 public chargers they have installed around Seattle are unreliable, there is about a 50/50 chance that you can even find a functional charger when you need one due to hardware/software problems. Many complaints have been lodged against the company and they have known about the problems from the get go and for some reason even now, still can't get it together. They are giving no information on their QC network install schedule. The company's stock has dropped from $2.50 a share to around 50 cents and drops practically every week. Today I read a suggestion that is along the lines of what I've been thinking. It appears that OR is getting rewarded with their installs by additional stimulus money, perhaps with the initial green highway installation presumably weeks from being turned on, the WA DOT could use the momentum to ask for additional money like OR has and add a second phase focusing on the Metro area. I am passing on a suggestion from a Forum member below:

"... They just need to authorise Aerovironment to add more DC QC Stations so that the distance between any two is never greater than about 30 miles. This would require additional contracts and all of the hoop jumping that it takes. They shouldn't count ECOtality's DC QC stations as part of that. Let Aerovironment be responsible to ensure that we can travel the entire distance of I-5 and ECOtality can ensure that the high population density areas have sufficient QC stations. That will help promote price competition and be good for EV owners."

By having even a skeletal Aerofironment network through the Metro area, it would ensure that if Blink QC's either never happen or are as unreliable as their L2's that there would still be a basic network available. The Seattle Metro area, including the east side, is where most of the population of EV drivers are. The greatest need is in the metro area, the area that currently has no service and no service apparently coming any time soon.

Can you pass on to me names and numbers to people we can write to to help encourage that you get the support and additional funding you need to to assure the green highway doesn't end up with a giant gap in it in the very place it's needed the most?

Kind Regards,
George

GaslessInSeattle said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
...i think it will all come together but not anytime soon. as much as OR has progressed, even they have a LONG way to go. Stringing QC's on I-5 is all fine and dandy but the real value of QC is having it available in town and on that count, OR only has a handful. when Portland Metro has 25 QCs then they will have something to talk about. right now, having them 25 miles apart on the freeway is nice, dont get me wrong, but i dont see that alone filling the needs of the masses.

I disagree, Portland/OR is way ahead of Seattle/WA....
Kind Regards,
George

disagree on what? the # of QCs? how many does the Portland area have? 3,4?

that would be about right. they have nothing more than a start with a long long long way to go to get to the point where general range anxiety would be addressed.

but they do have a start and a much more accepting political atmosphere along with money, cooperation across many different companies, jurisdictions, etc. and that is what we appear to lack.

what we need is many different levels of charging and yes, we are no where near that. but my minimally acceptable end game is QC's no more than 5 miles in any urban area with L2's in every public parking area and minimally L1's in every employee parking lot. guidelines should be set. like 5% L2 stations for lots of 100+ spaces, 2 for other lots over 20 spaces and so on. make this a seeable measurable goal.

for long distance freeway travel, ok OR has made that goal and completed it. bravo to them, but that is like the letter A, the first and easiest.

Oregon has definitely got it together more than we have

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slideshare.net%2Finnotech_conference%2Fcharlie-allcockpg-epresentationevpanel-5-3-2012&h=OAQF-asZj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

High speed DC3 update...

According to a recent Plug Share post, the Hwy 2 Skykomish WA AV station is installed and ready for the grand opening. For myself, in Lake Stevens, this is a really choice location. Skiing/Boarding at Stevens Pass and Leavenworth trips will soon be possible.

doug401 said:
High speed DC3 update...

According to a recent Plug Share post, the Hwy 2 Skykomish WA AV station is installed and ready for the grand opening. For myself, in Lake Stevens, this is a really choice location. Skiing/Boarding at Stevens Pass and Leavenworth trips will soon be possible.

they (probably) havent even broken ground for the one in Olympia yet . i say probably because its possible i simply did not find it but yesterday i biked thru out the area and saw nothing. some new construction yes, but waaay too new to tell anything specific and it was months from completion.

Dave, you must be referring to the Tumwater exit 101 site? Keep us updated for anything going in near that exit. I have a spy keeping an eye on the Monroe site. Nothing new there.

DaveinOlyWA said:
doug401 said:
High speed DC3 update...

they (probably) havent even broken ground for the one in Olympia yet . i say probably because its possible i simply did not find it but yesterday i biked thru out the area and saw nothing. some new construction yes, but waaay too new to tell anything specific and it was months from completion.

Yep Doug, that is the rumor. there is a few prime sites including 3 corners of the intersection of Tumwater Blvd and Capital Blvd.

there is also a hotel just off the freeway not as nice since there is nothing near it as far as food or whatnot except the hotel. but guessing if it is at the hotel, there will no demand charges to speak of since the hotel probably pays it anyway which might make it a good candidate.

i will cruise the area again this thurs or Friday

doug401 said:
High speed DC3 update...

Yep I was the one to post that. Was surprised to see it last weekend on my way up to Stevens for last day of Skiing. It was not there a few weeks ago so the install must have been very quick.

They even put a picnic table next to the river so you could hang out and enjoy the view. I'm going over the pass again this weekend for mother’s day so I will take a picture and post it.

What am I missing? The PlugShare post says it is a J1772 which is L2 :shock:

derekjsmith said:
doug401 said:
High speed DC3 update...

Yep I was the one to post that. Was surprised to see it last weekend on my way up to Stevens for last day of Skiing. It was not there a few weeks ago so the install must have been very quick.

They even put a picnic table next to the river so you could hang out and enjoy the view. I'm going over the pass again this weekend for mother’s day so I will take a picture and post it.

saywatt said:

You're missing about 260 volts, and the sine wave looks different. :D

So while on a road trip to Portland this weekend, in the Prius, I stopped by the last 3 alleged station builds on the southern I5 portion of Aero Enviroments contract.

3 strikes :(
Tumwater exit 101... I went from the roundabout on the East side to the roundabout on the West side. Nothing.

Kelso exit 39... Retail sprawl everywhere. Drove around for 10 minutes. Nada. But it could easily be there somewhere, but not adjacent to the exit.

Ridge Field exit 14... Strike 3. It's a small retail area. If it was there, I would have seen it.

The only thing I got for my efforts, the distance from Centralia exit 82 to Kelso exit 39 is way to far. And the freeway speeds are 70mph the whole way. If either station is down, you're screwed. I may take the back roads west of the freeway.

doug401 said:
saywatt said:

You're missing about 260 volts, and the sine wave looks different. :D

So while on a road trip to Portland this weekend, in the Prius, I stopped by the last 3 alleged station builds on the southern I5 portion of Aero Enviroments contract.

3 strikes :(
Tumwater exit 101... I went from the roundabout on the East side to the roundabout on the West side. Nothing.

Kelso exit 39... Retail sprawl everywhere. Drove around for 10 minutes. Nada. But it could be easily be there somewhere, but not adjacent to the exit.

Ridge Field exit 14... Strike 3. It's a small retail area. If it was there, I would have seen it.

The only thing I got for my efforts, the distance from Centralia exit 82 to Kelso exit 39 is way to far. And the freeway speeds are 70mph the whole way. If either station is down, you're screwed. I may take the back roads west of the freeway.

creating a google map, other than Centrailia, the other ones are all on highway 2. now there is a few others on I-5 but have not found the addy for them yet.

derekjsmith said:
doug401 said:
High speed DC3 update...

On Hwy 2 at Skykomish:

photo.php
photo.php

Yesterday I put in a formal request at the Woodland Park Zoo for L2 charging and demonstration signage (chargepoint has a great placard on the benefits of EV's), emphasizing the obvious common environmental values. We'll see what happens. The woman at member services asked if I was the guy who called the day before asking if they had EV charging... she was jazzed up that two inquiries had come in in just two days! If you do the zoo, please consider asking them for charging stations, it's one of the perfect places for L2.

DaveinOlyWA said:
A Seattle Leafer posted pics of the Hwy 2 stations in Skykomish, Sultan and Leavenworth

Whoa.... Time out... Your saying there are DC3 stations installed in Sultan, Sky and Leavenworth?
Sultan is a surprise and none of the official releases have mentioned Sultan. A forum post did mention Sultan months ago but I figured they really meant Skykomish.

Did Monroe get scratched. That's fine with me. I didn't want to go to a Chevron station to get my trons anyway.

Where are these pictures at?
If this is true, it's really great news.

2012-05-14_12-47-19_201.jpg

this one is at 6131 Capitol Blvd se, tumwater at shell station

i have a "DCFC" map of confirmed (must have picture!@!) stations

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=217366938479529511382.0004bffffd8d6a10ca1c6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skykomish @ Sky Deli

165941_10150874572358810_549118809_9538329_1428927333_n.jpg

Leavenworth at North Central Regional Library

562618_10150874581248810_549118809_9538354_767285572_n.jpg

City of Sultan Information Center (an obvious tourist trap!! :mrgreen: )

392448_10150874592208810_549118809_9538398_1893754448_n.jpg

Solar Powered DCFC @ oppama Japan...Hey!! how did that one get in there??

579909_3521292668814_403896879_n.jpg

Back