ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
klapauzius said:
63.4 Miles from Seattle to Burlington. Do you think this is doable at 80% charge & 60 MPH?
Tony's range chart says 66 Miles at 70F,no elevation. Could be a fun trip....

"No elevation" is not true, there are plenty of big hills on that trip. 100% would do it if you are good.
I base that on my experience and experiment of driving the Lake Washington Loop I-5 and 405 at freeway speed (68 mile trip for me)
Getting a 100% charge in Burlington could be a nuisance to the queue of other Leafs.
L3 charging in Marysville would be a good place.

If you drive just 60mph north of Stanwood, the semis will be drafting you!! :D

Levenkay said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
klapauzius said:
63.4 Miles from Seattle to Burlington. Do you think this is doable at 80% charge & 60 MPH?

no way
It probably speaks well of all of us that nobody is suggesting drafting semi trucks...

JohnnySebring said:
klapauzius said:

"No elevation" is not true, there are plenty of big hills on that trip. 100% would do it if you are good.
I base that on my experience and experiment of driving the Lake Washington Loop I-5 and 405 at freeway speed (68 mile trip for me)
Getting a 100% charge in Burlington could be a nuisance to the queue of other Leafs.
L3 charging in Marysville would be a good place.

Yes, I know that there are elevations. What I meant was that "at 70F AND no elevation" according to Tony's chart we could expect 66 Miles.

As soon as the QC is online I am certain we will get a detailed report about this trip.
Good things its going to be May, so the 70F condition will actually be met.

Some friends of mine want us to take my LEAF up to a ball game at SafeCo field. It would be a 74 mile trip one way. I'll probably have to stop a SeaTac for an hour or so to ensure that we make it.

Has anyone charged at the site on Occidental Ave near the field? What are the parking rates there and the charging costs? Do the chargers fill up?

Just in case the chargers are not available I have a couple of backup chargers in mind but I don't know if I'll be allowed to use them. There is the charger in the Sears parking lot about a mile from SafeCo and one at North Cost Electric Company that's about 1.5 miles from SafeCo field.

My Recargo app says: Parking Free – Public, customers preferred. Do you think I would get towed away if I charged my car there for six or seven hours?

Luft said:
Some friends of mine want us to take my LEAF up to a ball game at SafeCo field. It would be a 74 mile trip one way. I'll probably have to stop a SeaTac for an hour or so to ensure that we make it.

Has anyone charged at the site on Occidental Ave near the field? What are the parking rates there and the charging costs? Do the chargers fill up?

Just in case the chargers are not available I have a couple of backup chargers in mind but I don't know if I'll be allowed to use them. There is the charger in the Sears parking lot about a mile from SafeCo and one at North Cost Electric Company that's about 1.5 miles from SafeCo field.

My Recargo app says: Parking Free – Public, customers preferred. Do you think I would get towed away if I charged my car there for six or seven hours?

I've used the North Coast Electric charger, you can get access. Haven't used Sears.

I go to Sounders games and park in the gargage just north of Safeco - pay parking, but it has 2 chargers. I can get on one of these if I get there more than an hour before the game. Otherwise, tend to be filled with other Leafs.

There is a Nissan Dealer - Statdium Nissan, just East of Safeco. If it's during business hrs you can charge there.

Also there is a charger at the Starbucks HQ, I think you can get access to that as well.

Good luck!

Does anyone know the status of the Monroe DC QC station that is suppose to be going in? Has the hardware been installed yet? Any progress at all?

klapauzius said:

My wife and I have gone from Kirkland to Anacortes on a 100% charge several times in the last month. We usually have about 13 - 18 miles and 2 bars left when we get there. Burlington to Anacortes is about 14 miles farther. We are driving no faster than 60mph in the right lane and very conservative (ensuring maximum regeneration down hill). My wife did this drive in February as well, but had to stop at the L2 charger at Kohl's in Marysville on the way up and L2 charger in Burlington on the way back since the temperature was under 40 degrees. We are seeing upwards of 20 miles of increased range since the temps have risen.

I am considering to try a trip from Kirkland to Cle Elum. It shows 80 miles, but then I have to go over the pass. Is this doable? Is there any charger on the way?

IBELEAF said:
I am considering to try a trip from Kirkland to Cle Elum. It shows 80 miles, but then I have to go over the pass. Is this doable? Is there any charger on the way?
There are two Blinks in the City of Snoqualmie. They were "on" the last time I went through with my ICE but I didn't try to charge. :( http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=620&p=169127&hilit=snoqualmie#p169127

Check this thread out for advice: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4988
and let us know how it goes.

Reddy.

Are you going to L1 in Cle Elm? There is no L2 there that I know of. Also I've considered a trip from Snoqualmie to Easton but don't think it's doable without a QC at the pass. A leaf will not take kindly to that mountain...IMHO.

But then I am conservative in order to keep the turtle away :)

IBELEAF said:

I remember reading here in the forum last summer that someone actually dared to climb Snoqualmi pass on a Leaf and get back successfully, even posting some pictures.

But I doubt you'll be able to make it on a single charge from Kirkland.
I think it is doable to make it to Easton or even Cle Elum if you top off to 100% in Issaquah ChargePoint, drive conservatively and will have time to fully charge at destination.
Other choice would be to go over Stevens pass, they have a charger there, but you'll have to spend hours charging over there, maybe do some skiing...

But yea, Snoqualmie pass I think would be the perfect location for QC station... or at least L2, I would go skiing with my Leaf then and won't need ICE the whole winter!

saywatt said:
Are you going to L1 in Cle Elm? There is no L2 there that I know of. Also I've considered a trip from Snoqualmie to Easton but don't think it's doable without a QC at the pass. A leaf will not take kindly to that mountain...IMHO.

But then I am conservative in order to keep the turtle away :)

IBELEAF said:

Woo-Hoo. There is a quick charger at the Centralia Wendy's! (Not turned on yet.)

scaled.php

Last week I went from shoreline (175 st exit) to mt Si trailhead and back with only about 45 minutes of charging in Issaquah at http://z-home.org/ on the way. Z-homes is the site of the nations first zero net energy development project and there is plenty to see there while you charge up... and the electrons are net solar! If you plan ahead, setting up a tour while you wait is very worth it, the integration of renewable technologies is breathtaking!

Gaining substantial elevation takes some patients, you need to drive in the right lane, stay within 2-3 bubbles on the power meter. Of course coming back uses much less power and heavy traffic across the bridge helps too. I was able to do it at around 50 MPH on the steepest part of the climb and about 70 on the way down. By focusing on the power use, the distance you can go is pretty constant, it's the speed that has to vary.

Keep in mind that driving conservatively is the key, to attempt a trip like this I employ hyper miling to some degree. I accelerate and drive within 2-3 bubbles max, use map quest or favored alternative to calculate round trip distance, factor in about 7 miles per bar, zero climate control, hit the trip odometer at the beginning, add the distance traveled to the GOM and keeping the total within the max range needed, favoring bars the first half of the trip and the GOM the second half, shooting for a MPKw average of about 4.5ish.

by using the tools the car came with, you can learn to maximize distance or speed depending on your priorities, and pinpoint VLB to the mile even with fluctuations in elevation.

The longer I own the car the more brilliant I find the range management system and that's saying something considering how impossibly complex and unreliable it seemed at first.

George, I'm confused. Are you describing 1 trip or more?

1. Shoreline to North Bend (Mt. Si) and back to Shoreline
2. Shoreline to zHome to Snoqualmie Pass and back to Shoreline
3. Shoreline to North Bend to Snoqualmie Pass to zHome and back to Shoreline

Wow, if you could keep a max of 3 bubbles going up that last grade to the pass that is fantastic. I might try it this weekend.... or the next time the sun comes out!

Geoff

GaslessInSeattle said:
I just went over the pass from shoreline last week. I went from shoreline (175 st exit) to mt Si trailhead and back with only about 45 minutes of charging in Issaquah at http://z-home.org/ on the way. Z-homes is the site of the nations first zero net energy development project and there is plenty to see there while you charge up... and the electrons are net solar! If you plan ahead, setting up a tour while you wait is very worth it, the integration of renewable technologies is breathtaking!

Snoqualmie pass takes some patients, you need to drive in the right lane, stay within 2-3 bubbles on the power meter. Of course coming back uses much less power and heavy traffic across the bridge helps too. I was able to do it at around 50 MPH on the steepest part of the climb and about 70 on the way down. By focusing on the power use, the distance you can go is pretty constant, it's the speed that has to vary.

Keep in mind that driving conservatively is the key, to attempt a trip like this I employ hyper miling to some degree. I accelerate and drive within 2-3 bubbles max, use map quest or favored alternative to calculate round trip distance, factor in about 7 miles per bar, zero climate control, hit the trip odometer at the beginning, add the distance traveled to the GOM and keeping the total within the max range needed, favoring bars the first half of the trip and the GOM the second half, shooting for a MPKw average of about 4.5ish.

by using the tools the car came with, you can learn to maximize distance or speed depending on your priorities, and pinpoint VLB to the mile even with fluctuations in elevation.

The longer I own the car the more brilliant I find the range management system and that's saying something considering how impossibly complex and unreliable it seemed at first.

Sorry, not quite over the pass, from shoreline to Z-homes/Issaquah to charge then on to to Mt Si trailhead and back home with 1 bar remaining. thanks for catching that, I corrected the post to make it more clear.
g

saywatt said:
George, I'm confused. Are you describing 1 trip or more?

1. Shoreline to North Bend (Mt. Si) and back to Shoreline
2. Shoreline to zHome to Snoqualmie Pass and back to Shoreline
3. Shoreline to North Bend to Snoqualmie Pass to zHome and back to Shoreline

Wow, if you could keep a max of 3 bubbles going up that last grade to the pass that is fantastic. I might try it this weekend.... or the next time the sun comes out!

Geoff

GaslessInSeattle said:
I just went over the pass from shoreline last week. I went from shoreline (175 st exit) to mt Si trailhead and back with only about 45 minutes of charging in Issaquah at http://z-home.org/ on the way. Z-homes is the site of the nations first zero net energy development project and there is plenty to see there while you charge up... and the electrons are net solar! If you plan ahead, setting up a tour while you wait is very worth it, the integration of renewable technologies is breathtaking!

Snoqualmie pass takes some patients, you need to drive in the right lane, stay within 2-3 bubbles on the power meter. Of course coming back uses much less power and heavy traffic across the bridge helps too. I was able to do it at around 50 MPH on the steepest part of the climb and about 70 on the way down. By focusing on the power use, the distance you can go is pretty constant, it's the speed that has to vary.

Not a problem - you got me thinking that maybe I can do it. I'm in Issaquah behind Tiger Mountain - 40.7 miles from the pass. I have Tiger Pass on SR-18 to go over before I get to I-90 and there would be several (but spread out) opportunities to abort the trip. I might try it early Sunday morning to avoid traffic and allow me to stay between 50 - 55mph. Will keep you posted if I make the attempt. :mrgreen:

Geoff

GaslessInSeattle said:
Sorry, not quite over the pass, from shoreline to Z-homes/Issaquah to charge then on to to Mt Si trailhead and back home with 1 bar remaining. thanks for catching that, I corrected the post to make it more clear.
g

saywatt said:
Way Cool! ! ! Thanks for posting. :)

Luft said:
Woo-Hoo. There is a quick charger at the Centralia Wendy's! (Not turned on yet.)

+1!! ah so Tonia who was VERY Evasive about any potential sites and could not reveal any locations... this site was leaked on FB 4 months ago, Thanks Tom and Chad (mostly because it was one of the two...just dont remember which one)

Revenge of the Electric Car

If you missed the theater showing several months ago, it is running on the PBS Independent Lens series.

KCTS, Sunday, April 22, 12:00 AM. I happened to catch it by chance last evening.

Bill

Back