I would love an EV but....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd weigh the possible repair issues and cost after warranty ends of a Tesla S against the inconvenience of having to plug in an ePlus Leaf at work in the worst Winter weather (or just slow down instead). Also, since the two cars drive very differently, drive them both. You will likely have a strong preference after that.

LeftieBiker said:
I'd weigh the possible repair issues and cost after warranty ends of a Tesla S against the inconvenience of having to plug in an ePlus Leaf at work in the worst Winter weather (or just slow down instead). Also, since the two cars drive very differently, drive them both. You will likely have a strong preference after that.

Generally overblown concern. You would lose more in depreciation on a Leaf than you would have in expenses on a Tesla.

Many Tesla owners have also purchased 4 year extended warranties (when the first warranty expires) that can be passed to successive owners. In addition, great deals are being offered in private sales.

If you buy the used car from Tesla, they offer cars that come with a 2 year or 4 year warranty depending on the deal.

The OP never mentioned what sort of weather can be expected in winter, and what sort of highways the commute involves. Both will make a big difference. With mild winters and minimal operation at speeds over 100 km/h the Leaf+ would be adequate even with significant battery degradation. If temperatures too cold for a heat pump to be effective (below about -10°C) and/or higher speeds for a significant fraction of the distance are expected I would look for more range (unless there is charging reliably available at the destination).

idontknow said:
Prius Prime would be my first choice), but 1) I do not like how hybrids drive and 2) IF its a PHEV I'd end up paying for both electric and gas which is not ideal to me. A lot (NOT ALL) of those vehicles lack the tech I'm looking for as

Thanks all.

Im uncertain what you mean by how hybrids drive.

The Volt is definitely more smiles per mile than a leaf. (Though I’ve never driven a gen II of either persuasion)

The PIP Or any Kia/Hyundai I could understand the comment given they can’t even drive as pure EVs if you stomp on it.

Even The Prime is greatly improved over the PIP, offering a true EV mode.

What PHEVs have you driven?

I'm reading this as you looking for an EV which can do a 160 mile round trip commute. Sounds like you got talked out of a Leaf e+ when someone suggested that its range would be significantly reduced in the winter. You actually haven't told us anything about where you live or about the conditions of your commute. Giving you useful guidance would be easier with better information.

Not sure I'd go for a PHEV if the primary use is long distance driving. The real niche for current PHEV offerings is for those with daily drives that are within the electric range but who need flexibility for occasional longer trips. If you are driving 160 mi/day with a PHEV you will be doing most of it on gas. If a suitable full electric isn't in the budget now, I'd save some money and go for a standard hybrid until an EV with the capabilities you need is available for a price you can afford.

Titanium48 said:
Not sure I'd go for a PHEV if the primary use is long distance driving. The real niche for current PHEV offerings is for those with daily drives that are within the electric range but who need flexibility for occasional longer trips. If you are driving 160 mi/day with a PHEV you will be doing most of it on gas. If a suitable full electric isn't in the budget now, I'd save some money and go for a standard hybrid until an EV with the capabilities you need is available for a price you can afford.

Both VOLT and PRIME are less expensive than a standard hybrid . A brand new Rhode Island prime is around $21,000 before tax breaks.

The Prime gets the same or better MPGs than it’s non plug in cousin and comes in 4 or 5 seat versions.

Either way a standard hybrid isn’t a good buy at the moment and some electric is still better than none.

Further any time he takes a short trip he can avoid the irritation of the gas motor starting to move his car a few feet. He can also heat or cool the car without the motor running.

PHEVs also tend to have required maintenance less often (oil changes every 2 years on the Volt) compared to 5000-10000 mile changes on a typical hybrid.

The PHEVs also tend to have much longer lasting engines, Sparkie the Volt was repaired and back on the road north of 450,000 miles.
He also can preheat or cool the car without the motor running.

At this point in time there isn’t much reason to buy a normal hybrid

Titanium48 said:
That would be a mistake if the choice is Toyota.

After tax credits the Prime is no more expensive than the Prius (and sometimes less !). Paying for ~ 130 miles of petrol instead of 160 miles each day is a savings of 20% in petrol if he can charge only one time a day. If he can L1 charge at work then he saves 40% in petrol costs.

I only had two objections to my Prime:
1. It had an ICE (but OP already knows that.)
2. I thought the front and side views were quite nice, but the rear view was ... objectionable. My wife disagreed. YMMV

If final pricing is the same that does change things. That's definitely not true where I live though. The PHEV versions of the Prius and the Ioniq are several thousand more than the base hybrid here. There is a new tax credit, but it is only $2500 for vehicles with batteries under 15 kWh. There are also a substantial number of used Prius on the market, but very few PHEV.

I still cant get over how some people get it in their minds that they need an EV when they have these outlandish "requirements"...

If you need to drive 160 miles per day, with no refueling, then any ICE car will do it. Trying to find an EV to do it is not realistic. No one ever said that an EV must do everything that a gas car can...

That is why we will never have electric powered planes, ships, and snowblowers... Just like the saying - For every job you need the right tool...

Electric snowblowers are available as are electric lawnmowers. I do agree on airplanes though...at least until portable fusion generators become available.

Back