I was quoted $199 and $329 for 12 month service at Boardwalk

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spies

I am curious what others are being quoted for the 12 month schedule 1 and 2 service.

Since we will have had our Leaf one year next week and we just passed the 7,500 mile mark I plan on following schedule 2 (less severe) which lists replace in cabin filter, rotate tires and inspection with EV battery usage report. Schedule 1 (more severe) adds replace break fluid. The EV Battery usage report is supposedly complimentary and according to what I have read in the service and maintenance guide so is the inspection at least at participating certified dealers.

So my plan is to find a less expensive local dealer or do the tire rotation myself along with the cabin filter. I just don't see a tire rotation and cabin filter replacement being worth $199. I suspect the cabin filter probably does not even need to be changed based on the miles we have. Speaking of cabin filter anyone have any quotes for it?

My 2¢ on cabin filters.

In general, I think the replacement intervals are unduly short. I haven't yet gotten to the LEAF filters, but in other cars I have most often inspected and tapped them on a hard surface to knock out the debris.

Yes, $199 seems a bit pricey to me. $329 is really outlandish.

Bill

Just bought a Prius cabin filter for $7 new. You really never need to replace this but it is likely similar to another Nissan part. There are Nissan truck parts used on the LEAF.

EVDRIVER said:
Just bought a Prius cabin filter for $7 new. You really never need to replace this but it is likely similar to another Nissan part. There are Nissan truck parts used on the LEAF.

Actually, at 90,000 miles I finally replaced my Prius cabin filter, and it was HORRIBLY FILTHY! I can't believe how much dust, dirt, leaves and other debris were in there. :shock:
That being said, buy the filter at the Nissan parts counter and install it yourself.

The Leaf appears to have the easiest cabin filter change available. Left side of glove box has a door you pull off and you get access to the filter. Two minute job?

First two years should cost zip, zero, nil, nada, nothing.
Don't fall into the dealers' over maintence routine from the days of driving a gasoline car.

I had my tire rotation done for free at a local Discount Tire store at the 7500 mile interval. The only thing I plan on doing at 12 month is the complimentary battery check, which is required for the battery warranty anyway.

PatricioEV said:
The Leaf appears to have the easiest cabin filter change available. Left side of glove box has a door you pull off and you get access to the filter. Two minute job?

That's good news to hear. I had an Infiniti G35 and it was hell to get to those filters. And the dealers would soak you $$ hundreds to change them out. I'll do the LEAF filters myself.

So I did the tire rotation myself in the garage today no problem.

Checking the cabin filter seems simple too but after I got the access door open in the glove box I can't quite figure out how to release the clips on the filter cover without damage to the clips or my hands for that matter. Anyone have a suggestion on how to release the clips? Are instructions in the service manual?

Changing your cabin filter is important. I just changed my 08 prius filter my self for $20 (the dealer wanted $60 parts and labor). The manual had directions and it took 5 minutes. It was filthy; it had mouse poo on it, parts of leaves and all kinds of gunk. 3 years was way too long and now the car smells way better inside.

I plan to change my Leaf filter myself and to only have the battery check done at the dealer for required service. I think I might be due for a battery check at 11k miles already. I definatley need a rotation.

Spies said:
Checking the cabin filter seems simple too but after I got the access door open in the glove box I can't quite figure out how to release the clips on the filter cover without damage to the clips or my hands for that matter. Anyone have a suggestion on how to release the clips? Are instructions in the service manual?
No specific instructions. It just says "Disengage fixing pawl" and shows a picture indicating there is one at the bottom of the filter cover.

Ray

Dealers are notorious for making up their "own" maintenance schedules. These are more frequent and obviously they do this to make more money. It's not necessary.

You might want to call Sunnyvale Nissan to ask them their 1-year price and intended services. I had a refreshingly straightforward and minimal interaction with them.

There was a brief discussion on how to remove the filter here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=94938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's my suggestion:

Instead of contacting the dealer and asking them to schedule your "one year service", which will include a lot of items you may or may not want or need, look in the LEAF maintenance guide and see what is recommended for both the "severe" and "normal" schedules. Choose which schedule fits your driving style.

Then choose which items you want to have done according to the schedule, and then call to schedule the service and mention those items specifically, i.e. Battery maintenance check and tire rotation. Otherwise you'll end up paying for extra items that you may not need.

For example, my car is 1 year old and has 5500 miles. I need the battery maintenance check and a tire rotation, but I am not having the brake fluid replaced at this time.

Back