I feel nauseous after driving the LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentr

This is the first time for me driving a car that makes me feel nauseous. I thought it was something that I ate, but after a while I figured that it was the LEAF. I think it is a combination of the soft suspension, the rocking from side to side and the feeling of disconnect, lack of communication between the car and myself. It is more pronounced when in ECO mode because of the pedal delay of acceleration. I'm fine in the morning, then I drive to work and feel nauseous afterwards and then again when driving home. Anyway, this might be just me., now where is the vomit smiley? :mrgreen:

trent

trentr said:
This is the first time for me driving a car that makes me feel nauseous. I thought it was something that I ate, but after a while I figured that it was the LEAF. I think it is a combination of the soft suspension, the rocking from side to side and the feeling of disconnect, lack of communication between the car and myself. It is more pronounced when in ECO mode because of the pedal delay of acceleration. I'm fine in the morning, then I drive to work and feel nauseous afterwards and then again when driving home. Anyway, this might be just me., now where is the vomit smiley? :mrgreen:

trent

call mark landsbaum. he will right a column about it.

Unless your pregnant... I would say allergies. Leave the windows down when parked until all the new interior materials finish off-gassing (yes, that new car smell).

trentr said:

trent
I kind of felt that way for a short time after I got my LEAF. The feeling went away pretty quickly, though. I thought that it might have been the odors from the new plastics, etc.

How long have you been driving the LEAF? I'm guessing the feeling will go away within a week or so.

You should know that nauseous is the effect you have on others while feeling nauseated is something you might get from motion sickness.

FWIW I also had the same problem when I first started driving the LEAF. I've gotten much better at avoiding it but if I'm not careful I can make myself dizzy in no time at all.

arnold

If you guys need to sell your defective cars for pennies on the dollar, drop me a line ASAP before you do serious harm to yourselves. I'm here to help.

DrRocket said:
You should know that nauseous is the effect you have on others while feeling nauseated is something you might get from motion sickness.
The dictionary says it's both...
Random House Dictionary said:
nauseous
–adjective
1. affected with nausea; nauseated: to feel nauseous.
2. causing nausea;  sickening; nauseating.
3. disgusting; loathsome: a nauseous display of greed.

Thanks all. I opened all the windows for the night and let whatever gas out. I have my car for three months now and did not feel sick until about three weeks ago, so it is bit odd to say the least. It also helps if there is a front passenger, less rocking? I'm coming from a very mechanical old school car. I mean stick shift, extremely stiff suspension, very rough and noisy, but it fit me like a glove. And then, the LEAF is a complete opposite. It is sort of analogous to listening to a vinyl record then switching to a compact disc. Anyway, not getting rid of the LEAF, the carpool sticker alone is well worth it. I love the car. I will just have to adapt to it by bringing a barf bag. :mrgreen:

I'm no psychologist, but I'd say it's probably from the overwhelming sensation of being one of the privileged first to take part in such a ground breaking technology... you will adjust to it over time but the realization that you are taking part in history only grows with each mile. Eventually you find yourself staying up late reading forums like this one, trying to figure out how you can get in on the action and make a fortune at the ground level because you sense there is a solid chance this technology is about to really take off. :D

g

trentr said:

trent

Are you sure it's the Leaf? Nausea could be a symptom for any of these -

Addison's Disease, Alcoholism, Antiemetics, Appendicitis, Bone Cancer, Brain Tumor, Bulimia, Cancer, Depression, Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2), Double Vision, Flu (Influenza), Food Poisoning, Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu), Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD, Heartburn), Gastroparesis, Glaucoma, Heart Attack, Hydrocephalus, Kidney Failure, Kidney Stones, Listeria, Malaria, Monkeypox, Multiple Myeloma, Vomiting, Norovirus Infection, Pancreatitis, Peptic Ulcer, Salmonella, Stomach Cancer, Streptococcal Infections, Toxic Shock Syndrome, Typhus, Vertigo, Viral Hepatitis, Yellow Fever, Bowel Obstruction, Chemotherapy, Pregnancy, and Radiation Therapy

:eek: Oh... I guess you better hope it's the Leaf. :)
http://www.medicinenet.com/nausea/symptoms.htm

I think you are feeling nauseated because you are beginning to realize how MUCH you were paying for gasoline now that you don't have to buy ANY! Or maybe you aren't getting the fumes you were getting in your old school mechanical stiff suspension ICE car and as turbo2ltr suggests, you are having hyperoxia from the clean air. :)

trentr said:
It is sort of analogous to listening to a vinyl record then switching to a compact disc. Anyway, not getting rid of the LEAF, the carpool sticker alone is well worth it. I love the car. I will just have to adapt to it by bringing a barf bag. :mrgreen:
Do you get motion sickness ? Looks like an extreme case of it ... BTW, I'd compare a harsh stick shift to a CD rather than Vinyl.

Wow, I think I figured out what is causing this motion sickness while driving the LEAF. I had this dark windshield tint strip installed as part of my tinting job a month ago and that strip is causing havoc to my peripheral vision. The dark strip 5%, so dark that it limits my vision from the outside. I had it removed this morning and afterwards during my commute, no motion sickness at all. I'll give it a week to see if that is indeed the case, but so far so good. Shame on me for blaming the LEAF, now where is that happy smiley? :D

that is really interesting! our previous car was heavily tinted, beyond legal as well, and I won't do that again, it was actually quite difficult to see into poorly lit areas at night, especially while turning.

glad to hear you may have found the solution!
g

trentr said:
Wow, I think I figured out what is causing this motion sickness while driving the LEAF. I had this dark windshield tint strip installed as part of my tinting job a month ago and that strip is causing havoc to my peripheral vision. The dark strip 5%, so dark that it limits my vision from the outside. I had it removed this morning and afterwards during my commute, no motion sickness at all. I'll give it a week to see if that is indeed the case, but so far so good. Shame on me for blaming the LEAF, now where is that happy smiley? :D

Back