How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkjayakumar

Excellent article that answers a lot of questions.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That article says some of the things that we already know here through emperical evidence Two reasons that have a significant impact on the battery capacity:

- Keeping the battery at a high SoC for prolonged periods
- High temperature

It covers a variety of scenarios such as impact due to fast charging. Excellent work, highly relevant to Leaf owners.

This site is very generic and very out of date. Use it for general info if one wants to compare/contrast lithium, lead, and nickle, but don't expect any of the info to give details on the Leaf battery.

Lithium R&D is going much quicker than books and websites can keep up - 5+ year old info about 'lithium' on a website might as well be filed under 'history'... ;)

I just stumbled on this site... very interesting.
What I found most shocking was the degradation table based on 1yr at various temperatures and SOCs..
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries
Specifically, lithium capacity after one year @
25 degrees C and 40%SOC: 96%
25 degrees C and 100%SOC: 80%
40 degrees C and 40%SOC: 85%
40 degrees C and 100%SOC: 65%
And not too surprising, 60 degrees C *AND* 100%SOC... 60% AFTER 3 MONTHS (!)

Now the Leaf never sees 100% (4.2V) but this makes me wonder how much better 80% (4.05V) is than "full" (4.10V)?
40% btw 3.75V...
Does anyone know of a larger two dimensional table (temperatures, SOC/voltage) showing how fast degradation happens at various temps and voltages?
Preferably for the lithium manganese variety specifically..

Back