How to drain windshield washer fluid

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENEV

Does anyone know how to drain the existing windshield washer fluid from the reservoir?

I want to start fresh with my OWN fluid.

It's probable there is an outlet pipe towards the bottom of the resevoir somewhere, with a line to the washer jets that you can disconnect. I have a little hand pump with a long plastic tube for jobs like that. I would suspect you'll either need to get at the bottom of the resevoir from underneath or get a pump like mine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What kind of fluid are you putting in?

I have 5 gallons of this stuff ready for winter time: http://www.amazon.com/South-Rainx-Rx68106-Windshield-Washer/dp/B002N2CRFO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GREENEV said:
Does anyone know how to drain the existing windshield washer fluid from the reservoir?

I want to start fresh with my OWN fluid.

Whatever the Nissan Dealer put in. Not sure what brand.

I want to add the Rain-X De-Icer washer fluid.

What switch on the sprayer are referring to?

The one that washes your windows. If you pop the hood, you can disconned the rubber line going to the sprayer and put it in a bucket. Then when you "spray" the windows, it pumps it into a bucket for you. I wouldn't run it for more than several seconds at a time as that pump is not designed for continous load.

FairwoodRed said:
The one that washes your windows. If you pop the hood, you can disconned the rubber line going to the sprayer and put it in a bucket. Then when you "spray" the windows, it pumps it into a bucket for you. I wouldn't run it for more than several seconds at a time as that pump is not designed for continous load.

And you'll be abusing your 12v battery (but not in a sexual way, unless you're very naughty with that rubber hose!). :?

FYI - the washer fluid tank capacity in a 2012 model is 2.5 liters.

You can also drain the fluid with a wet vacuum and a flexible 1/2" hose. I used clear vinyl tubing. It takes about 4' of tubing to reach the bottom on the washer fluid tank from the fill port. You have to twist and turn the tubing a bit to get it to the bottom of the tank. I used my hand to make a seal around the vacuum hose and tubing to get good suction. I used Einszett washer fluid which has to be diluted 1:100.

Back