how inconvenient is it to charge Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halg

I wanna get a Nissan Leaf, don't I can't charge it at home, how inconvenient is it to charge in Atlanta area if I have to charge it in charging stations.

Can you charge at work? That's always the next best way.

If not, go to PlugShare.com and find the most convenient charge stations for work, home, and anywhere else you may hang out for any period of time.

There's a couple of level 3, DC quick chargers in the Atlanta area, but the PlugShare check in notes indicate that not all are reliable. They would be your fastest fill up if one works for you.

Good luck.

smkettner said:
I would not recommend any EV unless you can charge at home or at least at work.

I would go one step further: I don't recommend anyone get an EV unless they can charge @home (anything else is a bonus). I believe the "target audience" for EV's are:
1) multi-car families with at least 1 ICE car
2) an attached garage with access to L2 charging

I agree about the home charger.

I do not have a garage, and here in central NC, there have only been a few times that lack of a garage has been a problem (torrential rain or ice storms come to mind). I got a large golf umbrella that has made rain less of an issue.

halg said:
I wanna get a Nissan Leaf, don't I can't charge it at home, how inconvenient is it to charge in Atlanta area if I have to charge it in charging stations.

They have a valid point. Without home charging your convenience goes way down. But if you've got the nerve to try it anyway, just how inconvenient it will be for you depends on your situation.

How close are the stations to home, work, etc? Are they available, and can you leave the car there for hours on end? Assuming you can't charge at work and aren't lucky enough to live near a working L3.

How much range do you need daily? The more you need, the more you need to charge.

If you've got the patience to put up with inconvenience, then more power to ya I say.

halg said:
The inconvenience is largely a matter of time. You will absolutely want the faster charger built into the car, so do not get a used 2011 or 2012 LEAF. If you get a 2013 or 2014 S model, absolutely do get the optional Charge Package. If you get a 2013 or 2014 SV you should almost certainly get the Quick Charge Port option.

Given that, you will have access to everything in Atlanta that PlugShare currently shows. Assuming you can't make regular use of the QC station in the city, figure 20 miles of driving for every hour of charging. Some people here will say you can get more miles than that, and you can, once you become an expert at driving the car, but 20 miles should be safe unless you try to drive 70 mph or race between stop lights.

Ray

smkettner said:
OK so why no charging at home? You are not living off grid are you?

A lot of people in apartments or condos have no access to 120v from their parking spaces.

Heck, most people downtown here don't even have a parking space to go with their apartment.

Berlino said:
smkettner said:
OK so why no charging at home? You are not living off grid are you?

A lot of people in apartments or condos have no access to 120v from their parking spaces.

Heck, most people downtown here don't even have a parking space to go with their apartment.
Indeed:

http://www.plugincars.com/will-limited-residential-parking-put-brakes-ev-adoption-128911.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a renter in an urban area. Although I have my own off-street parking pad, the only way I could charge at home would be to jury-rig a 50-foot extension cord out a window or door and do L1. I have another option now, as there are L2s in a free public garage about 5 blocks from me, and I often walk within a block on my way elsewhere. But the L2s are Blinks and presumably have been turned down, so even at $1/hr. they're no cheaper than gas for a Prius. So, while it may be possible for the OP to make it work if they've got public chargers relatively close to home or work, they have to be willing to put up with the hassle.

Back