How hard is it to pop out the battery and change it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EV1 said:
stone said:
But in the mean time, how about a towed generator trailer?
That's the ticket, yeah!
Heh!

Ah, classic idea. see:
tzero_rxt-g_in_red-518x381.jpg

rav_longranger01.jpg

I sure wouldn't want to have to parallel park these monstrosities---or even back up more than a few feet. :roll: :roll:

Why wouldn't you simply disassemble the battery pack from the wrecked leaf, reassemble in a different configuration in your trunk and put the stuff you would have carried in the trunk in a roof box. I have seen a Leaf w/ a roof rack installed.

If you didn't have any luggage, you could drive a little less than 2x as far without the roof box.

henrysunset said:
Why wouldn't you simply disassemble the battery pack from the wrecked leaf, reassemble in a different configuration in your trunk and put the stuff you would have carried in the trunk in a roof box. I have seen a Leaf w/ a roof rack installed.

If you didn't have any luggage, you could drive a little less than 2x as far without the roof box.
Even if that were feasible, from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_specs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the battery pack weighs 648 lbs (not sure if that includes the black housing). That ends up being quite a significant amount of the Leaf's passenger and cargo load capacity (860 lbs. per http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Adding the driver + ~648 lbs doesn't leave much else...

derkraut said:
EV1 said:
stone said:
But in the mean time, how about a towed generator trailer?
That's the ticket, yeah!
Heh!

Ah, classic idea. see:
tzero_rxt-g_in_red-518x381.jpg

rav_longranger01.jpg

I sure wouldn't want to have to parallel park these monstrosities---or even back up more than a few feet. :roll: :roll:

No problem to back-up with this trailer

" The micro trailer incorporates intelligent "BackTracker" steering which automatically maintains trailer-to-vehicle alignment during backing to avoid jack-knifing"

Member "Ingineer" have done this:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1070677_2012-nissan-leaf-gets-unofficial-jet-powered-range-extender-quick-charger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I dont want a generator that use petrol or LP gas, I just want to extend my range the week-end. It is why my idea to toe a second Nissan Leaf battery pack

henrysunset said:

It is a good idea, but the car will become a two seaters because of the added weight and the space needed to fit 48 battery modules.

Each module have a weight of 8,4 pounds, size: 12" x 8,8" x 1,4" + the BMS

You will not exactly double the range because of the added weight, but it will have a very interesting range.

I thought the battery had 2 or 4 parallel strings of cells. Maybe split the battery in half or quarter when you reassemble. Could that fit in the trunk? Then sell the other half as a kit ready to go.

smkettner said:
I thought the battery had 2 or 4 parallel strings of cells. Maybe split the battery in half or quarter when you reassemble. Could that fit in the trunk? Then sell the other half as a kit ready to go.

You could probably remove the parallel cells for a 12kWh pack at 300 pounds. Even the cell voltages are measured in pairs, so BMS access to all 96 cell voltages remain proper at 4.1v max per cell.

What won't work is Gids, which obviously would be half. Will the firmware assume that it has lost 50% capacity?

TonyWilliams said:
You could probably remove the parallel cells for a 12kWh pack at 300 pounds.
Logically this can be done, but physically the parallel cells are in the same modules. I don't get the impression that these modules are serviceable, so I think you need the full set of cells to get the voltage right.

RegGuheert said:
TonyWilliams said:
You could probably remove the parallel cells for a 12kWh pack at 300 pounds.
Logically this can be done, but physically the parallel cells are in the same modules. I don't get the impression that these modules are serviceable, so I think you need the full set of cells to get the voltage right.

If "men" put those cells in a container, I'm confident that "men" can remove them.

Yes, the module is the serviceable part for a dealer, so you wouldn't be able to use an unmodified serviceable cell module.

I don't think there's any "serviceable" parts inside the EVSE, but I know some guys who don't let that slow them up much.

Bern101 said:
But I dont want a generator that use petrol or LP gas, I just want to extend my range the week-end. It is why my idea to toe a second Nissan Leaf battery pack

get a generator that burns organically produced ethanol or E85 or biodiesel.. ethanol can be made from wood waste, sewage etc... a few gallons should last you a while.

TonyWilliams said:
If "men" put those cells in a container, I'm confident that "men" can remove them.
You say that as if the cells are four identical units that are placed in the container. In fact they ARE identical BEFORE they are robotically trimmed, assembled and welded into the module. At that point, they are different.

If you want to connect four cells in series in a LEAF module it could be done at the factory (but with some modifications, since you need five total connection points and there are currently only four places for tabs). But if you wanted to do it after the fact you will find that ALL FOUR cells are welded to the terminals of the module. To put them in series, you need two cells in each module NOT welded to either terminal, but cells that do not connect to one of the two terminals do not exist in any Nissan LEAF today.

I'll say it again: Don't expect to see any LEAF modules which have been reconfigured as four series cells.

Back