How does spirited driving affect range in the Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatsShootsandLeafs

More aggressive acceleration decreases fuel economy in ICE cars in virtually all cases and has for decades.

What is the relationship in this car to acceleration and range, though? I did search for it, but most things talking about affect on range are weather conditions...

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
More aggressive acceleration decreases fuel economy in ICE cars in virtually all cases and has for decades.

What is the relationship in this car to acceleration and range, though? I did search for it, but most things talking about affect on range are weather conditions...

Mostly, all the same things that affect an ICE will affect any other means of propulsion. Aggressive driving will destroy the "miles per gallon/kWh".

The most extreme case that I'm aware of is a LEAF on the race track that got 0.6 miles per kWh (where typically the LEAF can get 3.9 on the freeway at 60mph).

Where things are different than an ICE is the heater. Gasoline cars generate waste heat, and electric cars have to produce the heat.

Heavy acceleration is actually one of the lesser factors for range. Speed is #1 and braking style #2. Accelleration is much lower since the batterys have very low series resistance. In fact, if your are in a situation where you must travel from point A to B in a specific amount if time(for example have timed lights), you get more range if you accelerate as fast as possible (enabling you to target a slower top speed for the remainder of the distance). This is a bit contrived for driving in normal traffic, though. Heavy acceleration usually results in higher speeds and heavy braking which will have a significant adverse affect.

TickTock said:
Heavy acceleration is actually one of the lesser factors for range. Speed is #1 and braking style #2. Accelleration is much lower since the batterys have very low series resistance. In fact, if your are in a situation where you must travel from point A to B in a specific amount if time(for example have timed lights), you get more range if you accelerate as fast as possible (enabling you to target a slower top speed for the remainder of the distance). This is a bit contrived for driving in normal traffic, though. Heavy acceleration usually results in higher speeds and heavy braking which will have a significant adverse affect.

You are correct, but this driving style seems to really irritate some ICEV drivers, in my experience...

EVs with a flatter power curve means that generally rapid acceleration will be much less of a hit on the economy. in all things the faster you drive the less following distance you have and less time to react to changing driving conditions which means braking. now if you can regen most or all of your braking, that is better than using friction braking but regen is still not something to strive for since it does lower the efficiency.

Yep, speed is the killer.

I frequently make a 52 mile trip with a mix of rural highway and suburban streets. Max speed 55, most at 35 and 45.

If I work at it really hard - slow acceleration, neutral coasting, max regen when appropriate, obey speed limits, I can get 5.1 m/kWh.

OTOH, if I just "drive" obeying speed limits, and sometimes at a light try to show off a bit, I'll usually end up with 5.0 m/kWh.

Climate cotrol cooling makes little difference, but of course heating impacts greatly.

Huh... I drive careful and efficient and normally end up around 4.3 (note that this number is quite impacted by aftermarket tires and very open rims as well as very hilly commute; I think I'd be around 4.7 with stock wheels/tires, but never tried it in flatlands :) ) -- but when I've pushed it aggressively, I've generally gotten under 3.5 (down to 3.0 in the winter pushing plus vigorous heat usage). I had thought the majority of that difference was acceleration, but I guess I never differentiated between how I handle regen, so maybe not. I'll have to try some aggressive driving with regen sometime.

TonyWilliams said:
ebill3 said:
Yep, speed is the killer.

Speed affects both ICE and EV. The OP specifically asked about acceleration and aggressive driving and ECONOMY.

Speed effects fuel efficiency of BEVs and ICEVs much differently.

Unlike BEVs, ICEVs' very low level of efficiency are reduced even further, if not driven at a speed to match the optimum rpm efficiency curve of the ICE. And ICEs are so inefficient to begin with, the increased fuel consumption at higher speeds is far less significant.

I believe that most ICEVs will increase fuel use only about 10-20% by doubling the driving speed from 35 to 70 mph, while the kWh use of a BEV like the LEAF, will just about double.

And as mentioned previously, a "lead foot" can dramatically lower fuel efficiency of an ICEV, while it will cause far less reduction in fuel economy (if any) with a BEV.

The only time I drive agressively in the Leaf is when a Camaro or Mustang driver looks over with a 'you're going to challenge me in THAT?' look. :D
To answer the OP though, yeah, that type driving negatively affects range.

coqui said:
The only time I drive agressively in the Leaf is when a Camaro or Mustang driver looks over with a 'you're going to challenge me in THAT?' look. :D

I give the same look to a Prius driver who thinks he can take me on. I don't know why, I just love leaving those guys in the dust. :p

Faster accelerations don't seem to make that much of a difference for the Leaf. As mentioned the bigger issue is speed. More or less the opposite of an ICE. This isn't altogether surprising. Mass the biggest factor for MPG for ICE vehicles, but it's third after aerodynamics and electrical loads for range in an electric. With an electric you can recapture a good portion of the energy expended to get a 3500 pound vehicle down the highway at even 20 MPH.

Faster acceleration will generate more heat in the battery. Done consistenly for a long time it might reduce your baterry capacity and in turn reducing the range.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
This is all great news because I like to accelerate very briskly in all the cars I drive!
If you're expecting a Prius you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not a sports car by any means, but the Leaf is plenty fast off the line.

I'm an extremely spirited driver in my LEAF. Spirited driving doesn't affect my range nearly as much as high speed or even rain for that matter. Drive it like you stole it. If I were worried about range, I would rather gun it from every stop light and keep it under 50MPH than accelerate slowly and maintain a steady speed of 70MPH.

Plus, it's too fun to leave all the gas cars in your dust. Most people are expecting slow golf cart like experience. It's fun to blow everyone's prejudices away.

kubel said:
I'm an extremely spirited driver in my LEAF. Spirited driving doesn't affect my range nearly as much as high speed or even rain for that matter. Drive it like you stole it. If I were worried about range, I would rather gun it from every stop light and keep it under 50MPH than accelerate slowly and maintain a steady speed of 70MPH.

Spirited here as well - on the drive home. But on the morning commute to work, I do it ECO... I'm groggy, in NO hurry to get to the office... etc etc

But on the way home, NEVER do ECO mode... love the fast acceleration from the stop light and buzzing by all the other cars... so peppy the LEAF is!

Wind resistance increases by the cube of your speed - so driving a steady 75 burns a lot more energy than a steady 60.

Driving with an eye to what's coming up and anticipating slowing so that you can do most of your braking with light braking (or better yet just shift into ECO) will increase your total range tremendously.

As others have noted, getting up to speed quickly doesn't take that much of a hit -- just remember to look ahead so that you don't have to slow down immediately.

torgazm said:
kubel said:

Spirited here as well - on the drive home. But on the morning commute to work, I do it ECO... I'm groggy, in NO hurry to get to the office... etc etc

But on the way home, NEVER do ECO mode... love the fast acceleration from the stop light and buzzing by all the other cars... so peppy the LEAF is!

I have read elsewhere in this forum that if you floor it ECO will give you the same acceleration as D. Not that I know, but that is what I read and my experience, as I drive in D, seems to confirm.

Back