HOV stickers for EV's are they valid in other states?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braineo

Anyone knows if having an ALT Fuel vehicle tag allows for EV's to be used in HOV lanes in other states or does each state has to have their own paperwork for the exemption? (Not that I have to worry too much until my Leaf can do 500 mile trips)... just wanted to know if each jurisdiction needs their own sticker, anyone knows?

For example, a HANDICAP permit is usable everywhere.

I wouldn't try to use an out of state sticker in WA. Other than a motorcycle, the only way a single occupant vehicle can use an HOV lane is if it is designated HOT (High Occupancy Toll), and then the vehicle must have an RFID tag.

braineo said:
Anyone knows if having an ALT Fuel vehicle tag allows for EV's to be used in HOV lanes in other states or does each state has to have their own paperwork for the exemption? (Not that I have to worry too much until my Leaf can do 500 mile trips)... just wanted to know if each jurisdiction needs their own sticker, anyone knows?

For example, a HANDICAP permit is usable everywhere.
The state you are traveling TO must have a reciprocal agreement for that type of tag or permit. You'll have to check with that state, not the state the tag/permit was issued from.

You example is actually not necessarily true. Handicap permits are not automatically useable everywhere, only in states that have reciprocal agreements to allow out-of-state permits to be used.

From Oregon DMV (http://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/driverid/disparking.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
Reciprocity

Oregon recognizes disabled person parking permits that are issued by other states for the purpose of identifying vehicles permitted to utilize parking spaces reserved for persons with disabilities.

Back