Here's a new tax credit story

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phastphill

I just got a letter from the IRS stating that my $7500 credit is being denied. Even more awesome, they would charge me a $1500 penalty for 'underpayment' of taxes.

The reason? Lack of documentation substantiating the credit claimed in form 8396. But wait, you say, the EV credit is form 8936! That's right, the IRS got the number wrong. Hopefully this will be pretty easy to iron out, but a hassle nonetheless.

Did anybody else get this surprise?

phastphill said:
I just got a letter from the IRS stating that my $7500 credit is being denied. Even more awesome, they would charge me a $1500 penalty for 'underpayment' of taxes.

The reason? Lack of documentation substantiating the credit claimed in form 8396. But wait, you say, the EV credit is form 8936! That's right, the IRS got the number wrong. Hopefully this will be pretty easy to iron out, but a hassle nonetheless.

Did anybody else get this surprise?
You're not the first: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8678&p=206066&hilit=8396#p206066

You got that right.

Looks like I'm not completely alone...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8678&p=206066&hilit=form+8936#p206066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well TurboTax filled out and filed Form 8936 for me. If the problem is a transposition of form numbers in somebody's system, then that's a problem between the IRS and TurboTax! :x

Edit: Also noted as Form 8936 on my 1040

Attachments

• 8936.jpg
    8936.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 250
  • 8936-2.jpg
    8936-2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 228
mwalsh said:
Well TurboTax filled out and filed Form 8936 for me. If the problem is a transposition of form numbers in somebody's system, then that's a problem between the IRS and TurboTax! :x

Yours is identical to mine (and I used turbotax too, surprise).

After sitting on hold for about 30 minutes with the IRS, I got at least verbal confirmation of the number transposition. Unfortunately, now I have the examiner's attention so I'm assured that reams of additional documentation will be requested.

I ended up having to fax the purchase agreement. And the examination letter. For a total of 18 pages. Then my multifunction refused to give me a fax confirmation sheet, so I had at it with the nearest blunt object and threw it (literally) out into the garage. So while that actually felt quite cathartic, I'm shopping for a new printer today. Maybe the IRS will send me my refund finally and it will pay for it! :?

Now when I phoned the IRS last night, they tried to tell me (as they have with others) that they needed the manufacturers certification that the car was eligible for the credit. But I was all like "But it says that right on your own web site!", and besides just how the f**k was I going to be able to get something that the IRS should already be in possession of directly from the manufacturer, and that's how we eventually ended up at the purchase agreement being sufficient paperwork.

It seems more like stalling tactics to me. But there ain't no way I pissing away $7500 I'm due. So they can sit and spin!

:x :x :x :x

I used TurboTax online (not the boxed product) in February and I verified the documents were filled out properly before I allowed TurboTax to electronically send them. Got my refund about a week later without any issues.

DarkStar said:
I used TurboTax online (not the boxed product) in February and I verified the documents were filled out properly before I allowed TurboTax to electronically send them. Got my refund about a week later without any issues.

The method of filing has nothing to do with whether a return is randomly selected for examination. The transposition error must have been introduced manually, because most people, like you, got their refunds without problems. The IRS person I spoke to said that she was going to alert her supervisor to the transposition error, but it has obviously happened again.

Back