Hello and Music in the car after driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markpalmos

Hello peeps,
I am getting my first EV car tomorrow, a 2015 24kw Tekna, I'm excited!

I had been under the impression that the 12v battery charged concurrently with the main battery when using the 3.3kw granny cable, but it seems https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23297 that this is not certain.

When I get home from driving somewhere, I like to sit and finish listening to music, perhaps for 10 or 15 minutes. I (think I) read in the article linked above that if I press the ignition button once the 12v will be charged. Would this be the way to make sure my 12v does not get depleated over time? If not, is there any way for me to still do my music thing while keeping the 12v healthy?

Thanks folks,
Mark.

Leave the car in Ready Mode, with the little yellow-green car icon lit on the dashboard screen, while you play music. Whatever you do, don't use the Accessory mode because that WILL drain the 12 volt battery.

LeftieBiker said:
Leave the car in Ready Mode, with the little yellow-green car icon lit on the dashboard screen, while you play music.

Hi, thanks for the response.
So when I get home, to get to Ready Mode, I first turn off the car and then press the button once (without footbrake) ?
Or is there a way to get from ON to Ready without going off first?
Thanks again,
Mark.

LeftieBiker said:
Leave the car in Ready Mode, with the little yellow-green car icon lit on the dashboard screen, while you play music. Whatever you do, don't use the Accessory mode because that WILL drain the 12 volt battery.

Hi there,
I got my car today, very excited.
So if I turn off the car and then press the start button once, will the radio then be using the car battery. I noticed the radio had a little battery charge meter on it which shows very low batter, while the car was about 60%. Does that mean I was using the 12v and that it is a bit flat?
See photos

radiobattery.jpg

carbattery.jpg

I think that the battery icon shows the level of charge in the Bluetooth device being used.

There are several modes other then Ready. One other one may keep the 12 volt battery charged, but I suggest you play it safe and use Ready mode to play music.

LeftieBiker said:
I think that the battery icon shows the level of charge in the Bluetooth device being used.

This is correct. Your phone (or whatever) had a low battery charge.

LeftieBiker said:

There are several modes other then Ready. One other one may keep the 12 volt battery charged, but I suggest you play it safe and use Ready mode to play music.

Thanks,
Ok, I suppose I have ICE in mind, to turn off when I get home...

WRT the 12v, is there any reference which explains under which modes/circumstances it will be charged?

cheers
Mark

The short answer is: the 12v battery is (periodically) charged both when the car is "on" as well as while charging (although the latter is much more often). If you are that concerned about how/when the 12v is charged, buy something like this Antigravity Lithium Tracker device (https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/accessories/battery/chargers/bluetooth-tracker-lithium/). If you are really concerned about depleting your 12v battery, then replace the stock lead acid with a LiFePO4 instead (see my sig and search for my thread on it).

Stanton said:
The short answer is: the 12v battery is (periodically) charged both when the car is "on" as well as while charging (although the latter is much more often). If you are that concerned about how/when the 12v is charged, buy something like this Antigravity Lithium Tracker device (https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/accessories/battery/chargers/bluetooth-tracker-lithium/). If you are really concerned about depleting your 12v battery, then replace the stock lead acid with a LiFePO4 instead (see my sig and search for my thread on it).

Thanks for the info, I will check that out.
I see you have replaced your main battery too.
It seems there are people in the USA who have custom fit a 40kw into an older Leaf, I'd be curious as to whether a 2015 leaf could take one of these new 64kw batteries... now THAT would be amazing.

markpalmos said:
Thanks for the info, I will check that out.
I see you have replaced your main battery too.
It seems there are people in the USA who have custom fit a 40kw into an older Leaf, I'd be curious as to whether a 2015 leaf could take one of these new 64kw batteries... now THAT would be amazing.

It's kind of OT...but then again you are the OP. :p
It is possible to "retrofit" the (newer) 40/62kWh battery packs into a Gen 1 Leaf (like yours), and it is something I'm definitely considering as my replacement pack ages (it has done considerably better than the original pack). If interested, there are a couple of forum threads you should be following, and I know there's at least 1 shop leading the way in the EU (although maybe not in the UK). Ironically, there are none in Texas (yet)...but I'm hoping another year will bring more locations and more (salvaged) 40kWh battery packs. :D

Back