Greetings from new LEAF Owner in Australia!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leighf

Hi all,
I took delivery of my Cayenne Red LEAF yesterday morning and am loving it. My dealer said I was the first individual to purchase one from them so I might be the first personal (not company) owner in Victoria. I certainly haven't seen any others except as part of the Victorian Stage Government EV Trial.

Basically I've been waiting at least 15 years to buy a car as good as this. I looked at conversions (usually a bit amateur) and the Mitsubishi i-Miev (too small) and the LEAF was just right.

Looking forward to many years of emissions-free motoring.

Leigh

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Lots to learn here, as I'm sure you're already aware.

Good on ya for being an early adopter down under!

Congratulations Leigh!

Look forward to hearing more about it. Did you manage to extract a discount from the dealer?

Also, did you get sucked into the Origin EVSE or did you manage to avoid the ripoff?

leighf said:
Hi all,
I took delivery of my Cayenne Red LEAF yesterday morning and am loving it. My dealer said I was the first individual to purchase one from them so I might be the first personal (not company) owner in Victoria. I certainly haven't seen any others except as part of the Victorian Stage Government EV Trial.

Basically I've been waiting at least 15 years to buy a car as good as this. I looked at conversions (usually a bit amateur) and the Mitsubishi i-Miev (too small) and the LEAF was just right.

Leigh

Many congrats from a fellow Cayenne Red owner! Hopefully you'll share a few photos for all of us, including your home EVSE setup once you're set up. Being RHD, I wonder if you Aussies have access to some of the Japanese market only accessories that are unavailable (as of yet) to the U.S. ? What's your electricity per kWh like down under? Keep us all posted on how things are going as we all want the LEAF to succeed so we see more EV's worldwide ... having recently passed the 6 month mark of ownership myself I can tell you'll simply love the car and hopefully learn a few tips on this forum to make the experience that much more enjoyable!

Welcome indeed!

Do you have green electrons, or are you using
the dirty black electrons from Hazelwood?

What EVSE are you using?

In any case, enjoy your new ride.
Cheers, Gary

Thanks to all for the welcome. I have already learnt a lot from this forum and expect to continue doing so for some time.

Beleaf - Yes I did take the Origin EVSE installation offer. It's more expensive but at least I could get it installed fairly quickly and 2 years interest free.
Gary - The EVSE is a Chargepoint CT500. I don't have solar panels currently but I pay my electricity company extra for 100% renewable power.

I'll be interested in getting some stats on km/kwh over time.

I'll also be interested in my battery degradation over the next few years. Melbourne's climate is about 0C (32F) in winter up to about 38C (100F) so hopefully it's not too bad.

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

And g'day from a transplanted Melbourne boy as well. :) i live in the States now.

I'm curious about the EVSE that was included with the car, since it would run on the 240V that is standard in Australia. How many amps does that EVSE pull? And how long do Nissan say it will take to charge on it?

The standard mains voltage here is 110v and the so-called trickle charger takes 20 hrs or so... So installing a 240V EVSE is pretty much a given here in the States. I would have thought you might be able to avoid that in Australia.

In any case, welcome to the forum! I see you've already found it as useful and helpful as I have, and I'm sure you'll love your car even more the more you drive it.

Cheers, Bert

Hi Bert,

The included EVSE requires a 15A power point, rather than the standard 10A. These are not really uncommon as most caravans have 15A plugs so some people have a 15A socket in the garage.

Others over here have done some measurements of the included EVSE and have measured the current at 10.3A so it takes about 11 hours to change from turtle mode to 100%.

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=3136&title=imiev-and-leaf-charging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan seem reluctant to "allow" you to buy a LEAF without an installed EVSE. It's probably to avoid bad news stories about owners who get stranded because they didn't fully charge. The Nissan dealer calls the included EVSE the "trickle charger". Also the longevity of the 15A power socket with 10A continuous is questionable.

Regards,
Leigh

Welcome again, from Sacramento and Adelaide, where we have a "winter home."

Using an EV in Australia should be very functional, since the intercity distances are often too great to encourage those as drives.

But, do you have or are you keeping an ICE for those "longer drives?"

George

leighf said:
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=3136&title=imiev-and-leaf-charging
Australian Electric Vehicle Association, nice! Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a Leaf.

leighf said:
Hi all,

Leigh

G'day Leigh! Congrats on your Leaf purchase.
Will ping you for a ride in your RHD Leaf on my next trip back into Melbourne. Haha!

It was only back in March when I saw an Aussie Leaf parked at Tullamarine getting a charge off the Blink chargers installed in the departures parking complex. It was on the same day I arrived back into Melbourne. During my 6 weeks home, I also saw a MiEV on the road nearby Clayton with the Victorian trial plates.

Anyways, nice to see the Leafs getting out quickly to the Oz market now.

Cheers,
-Mike

leighf said:
Others over here have done some measurements of the included EVSE and have measured the current at 10.3A so it takes about 11 hours to change from turtle mode to 100%.

Hello Leigh,

Apologies for the (very) delayed response. I wonder what an Included EVSE would cost as a spare part replacement in Australia? Drawing 10 amps would be no problem at all on my 220v dryer socket in the States, which would make the 220v EVSE a perfect portable unit. Of course, I could also get my own 110v unit upgraded by Ingineer as well, which might be more cost effective.

Cheers, Bert

We've upgraded the standard 10A EVSE's for Australian customers to the full 16A. Obviously you need a power point that can handle it though.

10A is only 2.4kW in (about 1.9kW to the battery), so you are looking at about 13 hours for a full charge.

Once upgraded to 16A (3.84kW) you are down to under 7 hours.

-Phil

Back