Great ... a garage fire with a plug in vehicle in it

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarwin

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/29687054/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing has been determined as to the cause of the fire, and I would think it was likely not the EV charger, but that doesn't stop the hype. This will probably be used as FUD against EVs even if it was caused by something completely unrelated.

This is the email I just got from Duke Energy since I'm on the same pilot:

We have recently learned that firefighters in Mooresville, North Carolina, responded to a garage and house fire late on October 30. There was a plug-in electric vehicle, a charging station and a number of other items in the garage at the time of the fire. We have no reason to believe that the charging station contributed to the fire, but out of an abundance of caution, we suggest that our current pilot participants consider not using the charging station installed as part of Duke Energy’s Charge Carolinas and Project Plug IN pilots until we have additional information. We are working closely with the local fire marshal and our own experts to determine the cause of the fire and will update you as the cause becomes clearer.

I would be surprised if the EVSE caused the fire. I would think they would have a lot less fire risk than your average 220V electric clothes dryer. If it did, there will probably be all sorts of 'EVs will kill your children! herp derp!'

My Leaf has not yet arrived, but if it were here, it would be plugged into the Siemens EVSE right now.

-Zarwin

Well, I predicted this very issue from the previous Volt fire elsewhere. Anything different is suspect, and the finger pointing will come next, regardless of whether the car or EVSE are to blame.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=141490#p141490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok, it was (another) Volt:

"even the possibility of a fire hazard from the chargers for electric cars is getting attention. Sources told Eyewitness News car maker General Motors, Seimen, which makes the charger, as well as the installer, Duke Energy, and the U.S. Department of Transportation have all been talking to investigators."

TonyWilliams said:
Well, I predicted this very issue from the previous Volt fire elsewhere. Anything different is suspect, and the finger pointing will come next, regardless of whether the car or EVSE are to blame.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=141490#p141490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you use a crystal ball to do that? :D This has been going on for about 10 years so I would not call it a prediction but more of a pattern. Same thing with frying a turkey on Thanksgiving, etc. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473QNZss0PM&feature=fvsr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting that it was a Siemens EVSE and a GM vehicle, yet they showed lots of images of the Leaf in the video. I'm betting it was one of the "other" things plugged in near the source as they alluded to in the report.

palmermd said:
Interesting that it was a Siemens EVSE and a GM vehicle, yet they showed lots of images of the Leaf in the video. I'm betting it was one of the "other" things plugged in near the source as they alluded to in the report.

Most likely not, since Nissan is not going to be part of the investigation. Showing the Leaf in the video, shows that the Leaf is the current EV public image. Still they should have shown Volt, some will associate the fire with Leaf.

tps said:
Hey, doesn't the Volt have a tank with highly combustable gasoline? I wonder if that contributed in any way?
Most unlikely. Car gas tanks have stringent safety features and undergo mucho testing. It's almost pointless to guess what might have caused it at this point. We simply have no idea what the guy might have had in the garage besides the car and EVSE.

Well actually we do know that the portable Volt EVSE cable was too thin, was overheating and the insulation was drying out. Since this EVSE was installed by Siemens, I assume its a wall EVSE so it's not the same EVSE, but if the wall EVSE was made by the same company....

Nothing is more fun than generating thoughts when we have very little actual facts to go on... ;)

padamson1 said:
Well actually we do know that the portable Volt EVSE cable was too thin, was overheating and the insulation was drying out. Since this EVSE was installed by Siemens, I assume its a wall EVSE so it's not the same EVSE, but if the wall EVSE was made by the same company....

Nothing is more fun than generating thoughts when we have very little actual facts to go on... ;)

This is a photo of my EVSE, installed by Utility Partners of America for the Duke Energy program. The one in the incident should be identical, and have been installed by the same company. When it was installed, the installer was very professional and knowledgeable. He spent 3 hours installing and testing the unit and did a very thorough job.

5OXfq.jpg

Well, that looks like it is going to burst into flames any minute. At least it's the size of a fireplace, where do the logs go?

The Volt EVSE that had the overheating issues was not made by Siemens, and that Siemens unit is very nice looking btw..

What kind of battery chemistry does the Volt use? If they're like the Tesla's, they could have become overheated and caught fire. The LEAF's may have less density, but at least they are pretty safe.

LEAFfan said:
What kind of battery chemistry does the Volt use? If they're like the Tesla's, they could have become overheated and caught fire. The LEAF's may have less density, but at least they are pretty safe.

its a manganese spinel chemistry, very safe .. the cobalt cells used in the Tesla are more dangerous but they have a bunch of safety features, including two fuses built inside each cell.. put perhaps rats were chewing on the wires.

I am taking delivery of my Leaf tomorrow and have a Siemens EVSE installed by Utility Partners of America as part of the Duke Energy EV pilot program. They have asked us not to use the charger. Guess I will be using my L1 charger for a bit.

I'm hoping that if it turns out to be the EVSE, they choose some other unit for their pilot program and swap these out soon... I've had the unit for 3 weeks without a car to plug into it, and now I'll have a car with no (allowable) unit to plug it into (I'm sure Gilbert and Sullivan could come up with something for that phrase).

Are there any folks with Siemens chargers out there besides the Duke Energy pilot program folks?

I know its painfully expensive and unfair, but perhaps a proper installation of a 240V EVSE by an electrician after proper city inspections would reduce some of the blame when these things happen. Note this one was a professional installation.

Herm said:
I know its painfully expensive and unfair, but perhaps a proper installation of a 240V EVSE by an electrician after proper city inspections would reduce some of the blame when these things happen. Note this one was a professional installation.
And it still doesn't appear to help, does it?

So would hiring a professional race car driver to safely drive your kids to school be a wise option? That way you have less blame when there's an accident.

Nothing "reduces" blame in the US, anyone can sue you for anything, then you still have to go into court and defend yourself.

Where does one stop at the liability reduction game? Maybe it's safer to eschew all forms of energy and go off-grid.

-Phil

I'm putting an electric fence around my home, that way no one can get near my property and get hurt.

Back