gotta love the new London taxis e-nv200s

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but that front end is even uglier than the NYC version. Just hideous.

Nissan must be doing some serious schmoozing (or worse) to be even considered for London's black cabs. Basically one manufacturer has had a corner on that market for decades. I'd also like to know what they did to meet the 25 foot turning circle requirement. FWD vehicles bigger than say a Mini Cooper are not known for small turning circles, due to the limitations imposed on the steering by the FWD.

RonDawg,

They (Nissan Design Europe) apparently styled that way on purpose (!), the cabbies wanted to keep the traditional look that has so long been an identifier of London's cabs. I'm sure the regs about the turning circle were easily tossed out the window seeing how this zero emission van replaces the soot spewing ones currently in use.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I think that's still the NV200, not the eNV200, so this one still spews emissions, just less so.

Yea the report I saw showed both, the vertical slat chrome grille is the ICE (and yes it is drastically cleaner) and the blue lined one is the BEV. Knowing how strict London's emission regs are getting I wouldn't be surprised if they begin requiring the BEV only for in-city use.

GIBBER said:
They (Nissan Design Europe) apparently styled that way on purpose (!), the cabbies wanted to keep the traditional look that has so long been an identifier of London's cabs.

Well I would hope it wasn't done accidentally! Otherwise you might hear this over at Nissan's Sunderland plant:

Sorry guv, but one of the blokes mated the bonnet and grille of an old black cab onto our new van. He did it as a joke after becoming pissed at the pub. Blimey, it wasn't supposed to become finalised in that form!

They did widen the track of the front end to decrease turning radius... apparently expensive... but they made it.

As to the blue electric grille and front end... I like the retro modern style.

DarrenG said:
GIBBER said:
I'm sure the regs about the turning circle were easily tossed out the window seeing how this zero emission van replaces the soot spewing ones currently in use.
Nope, a 100mm wider track and an entirely new custom front suspension and steering arrangement was designed to allow it to meet the requirements by a UK engineering company.

See http://www.cbt.com.my/2012/08/07/nissan-nv200-london-taxi-electric-e-nv200-to-follow/

Any manufacturer can offer a London Taxi so long as they meet the Hackney Carriage regulations. But they have been so niche that few manufacturers have considered it worthwhile. Mercedes have a Vito that employs rear wheel steering to reduce the running circle but it's so expensive that few cabbies would choose it.

Back