GOM is a Joke!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wennfred

Who bothers looking at the GOM any more, also who drives their Leaf with the flow of traffic on the hwy. In San Diego the average speeds are 70 - 80 MPH while the posted speed is 65.

Since I got the leaf I have been driving it slow at speeds of 55 - 60 MPH at night. I usually leave the house around 9pm since I work nights so there is less traffic to deal with, but since I've been playing with the LeafDD and understanding the GID numbers, that's what I rely on most. That GOM is a joke and should be covered.

Today I drive the leaf at top speeds with the flow of traffic when needed and keep it moving at 65 MPH at night. No issues, seems like I still have plenty of GID's or miles left in the trunk.

I start off with 227 GIDs and get to work with 160. When I get home I end up with 100 GIDs as the ride back home is mostly down hill, Elevation 354 down to 49.

I don't worry anymore or have Range anxiety, just drive the hell out the leaf like a normal ICE vehicle and have a blast.

Fred

Yes, it is the butt of many jokes around here. You quickly learn how to interpret what it's telling you, though, and the new percent meter sounds like a nice addition.

GeekEV said:
Yes, it is the butt of many jokes around here. You quickly learn how to interpret what it's telling you, though, and the new percent meter sounds like a nice addition.

Is the new percent meter on the 2014s?

And yes I got so freaking tired of conserving battery life so that the next days charge would read over 100 miles in ECO mode. Today's GOM charged readings range around 70 to 80 and I don't give a **** because we all know it's all a BS calculation from a previous run. GOM is the main cause of Range Anxiety. Today I am teaching my wife how to use the GIDs on the LeafDD and to not worry about what the GOM shows.

By the way, the AH stop dropping, in fact it went back up to 55.09Ah from 54.89Ah.
Not sure if this is due to the weather change as it's cooler now or something with the software. I always charge at 100%.

Fred

Wennfred said:
By the way, the AH stop dropping, in fact it went back up to 55.09Ah from 54.89Ah.
Not sure if this is due to the weather change as it's cooler now or something with the software. I always charge at 100%.
Yes, this is most likely the result of cooler weather.

If you have anything other than a model S, it is on the 2013 models. It's selectable from the dash display menu, by pressing the page ion on the upper left corner of the four way selector switch to the left of the dash.

LeftieBiker said:
If you have anything other than a model S, it is on the 2013 models. It's selectable from the dash display menu, by pressing the page ion on the upper left corner of the four way selector switch to the left of the dash.

It would be nice if Nissan gave us those updates.

Fred

It is a State Of Charge meter on the 2013 SV and SL, and presumably later cars, similar to what many variations of the Gid meter have had as an option for years... The problem with it is that, as your battery degrades, the amount of energy indicated by each percent also drops; it is relative not absolute... Think of it as a digital version of the 12 fuel bars...

Wennfred said:

adric22 said:
I think the GOM works just fine.. You just have to know how to interpret it.

Precisely. I look at the GOM. I know it's not an exact number. However, my driving is relatively fixed in that I drive the same route, the same time, same days. I've learned how to interpret the GOM just as another tool to figure out how much I've got "left in the tank".

Klayfish said:
adric22 said:
Precisely. I look at the GOM. I know it's not an exact number. However, my driving is relatively fixed in that I drive the same route, the same time, same days. I've learned how to interpret the GOM just as another tool to figure out how much I've got "left in the tank".
That may be sort of true in the flatlands, given the same route, same weather, same traffic, same driving style. But in the mountains the GOM has nothing but entertainment value.

Here's my "personal best" GOM reading, 14.5 miles into a long trip:

No, I didn't manage to go 155 miles like it said I could.

Yes, as the OP said, the GOM is a joke.

TomT said:
Wennfred said:
It is a State Of Charge meter on the 2013 SV and SL, and presumably later cars, similar to what many variations of the Gid meter have had as an option for years...
Also on the 2013 S model. I keep the "Trip computer" display on that frame much of the time. Unfortunately with the S the only way I have of seeing efficiency is using the same display, so I do switch back and forth sometimes.

Ray

I find the GOM is getting more accurate as the battery ages.
Still very optomistic at the start but only slightly pessimistic at the end when it matters.

dgpcolorado said:
That may be sort of true in the flatlands, given the same route, same weather, same traffic, same driving style. But in the mountains the GOM has nothing but entertainment value.

That's what I mean, here in San Diego, there are a lot of hills and elevation changes, from sea level to an easy 600 elevation and then back down. This drives the GOM crazy. Would be nice if my commute was all flat.

Fred

Leaf Spy has a much better calculation for distance to empty. You can also see distance to LBW or distance to VLBW. Nice feature to have.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dgpcolorado said:
Klayfish said:
adric22 said:

Agreed, that's why I mentioned all those parameters. In the few times I've had to drive hilly terrain, I clearly can see it's wildly inaccurate. But for me, it's at least in the ballpark.

BTW, how'd you get the center of your display screen split like that? I didn't even know it could do that.

Klayfish said:
...BTW, how'd you get the center of your display screen split like that? I didn't even know it could do that.
I suppose that the 2013 display could be different but when I use cruise I always get the split screen with the efficiency meter. When the cruise is turned off the efficiency meter resumes taking up the entire display. My 2012 LEAF doesn't have the SOC display, so that isn't an option (and I have a Leaf DD that is much more useful anyway).

adric22 said:

When I get into my Leaf in the morning the GOM may read anywhere from about 70 miles to 123 mile on an 80% charge, depending on how much traffic there was the evening before. Changing from no climate control and eco mode to climate control on and drive mode may show a 20 mile difference in displayed range, although there may be no difference at all in actual range. How am I supposed to interpret that to get useful information?

DanBaldwin said:
adric22 said:

When I get into my Leaf in the morning the GOM may read anywhere from about 70 miles to 123 mile on an 80% charge, depending on how much traffic there was the evening before. Changing from no climate control and eco mode to climate control on and drive mode may show a 20 mile difference in displayed range, although there may be no difference at all in actual range. How am I supposed to interpret that to get useful information?

+1

Glad I have something else to rely on like the LeafDD or if I had an Android drive then Leaf Spy.

Fred

dgpcolorado said:

But the GOM isn't telling you how far you can go. It is telling you how far you can go under recent driving conditions. If you continued to go downhill for 155 miles, then it would have been accurate.

Back