Going to Vegas to learn about the Leaf...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrendanDolan

There is a Nissan dealer convention in Las Vegas early next week, and since I asked oh so nicely, Boardwalk Nissan is sending me to Vegas to attend. I could care less about the usual BS, but what I'm there for is on Tuesday from 12-4: The LEAF information Expo. Both of the demo cars are supposed to be there (but according to the rep, none to drive... :evil: ), and I should have a lot of time to speak with the reps, engineers, et al.

I'd love to go there with a list of questions to ask, and then report back the findings. Fire away, I'll print the thread out, and answer as many questions for you guys as I can while I'm there! :mrgreen:

Question to ask or items to gather in Las Vegas:

• When will we receive delivery date (very close estimate) ? At order time ? Shortly thereafter ?

Does color choice affect delivery date ?

When will color codes be known (not color names, but real codes that match existing colors on Nissan dealer’s lot so that customer can see it in real life PRIOR to ordering (HINT!!)) ? (Preferably on a Versa, but ok if only available on another model.)

Mileage, residual and money factor on lease ? Other considerations included on lease ? Are longer than 36 month leases possible ?

Warranty: car versus “battery” ? The 8/100 battery warranty includes which components ? For example, does it include inverter ? Charging system ? etc So, which parts are “demoted” to the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and how long is that one ?

Battery Warranty: is it prorated ? And exactly how ? What objective criteria determine (“trigger”) repair and/or replacement ?

Level 3 charge feature for NON-EVProject customers: included or not ? Only on SL ? Cost or free ? (Strong hint from a customer here: standardize on CHAdeMO already ! Do NOT wait for SAE alternate proposal(s) !)

Copy of waiver to use only Level 1 charging ? When does the waiver have to be signed (at order or at delivery) ? And does using the waiver have any influence on delivery date ?

Does the “closest charger” feature include real-time station status (available, busy, out-of-service) ?

When (what model year) will 6.6kW charger be included ? Will initial models be upgradable and for what cost ?

Questions to take to LEAF Info Expo:

When the LEAF was first introduced, Mark Perry said that only two fluids would be used in the LEAF, brake fluid and windshield washer fluid. Photos of the engine show about 6 caps for fluids. What fluids beside brake fluid and windshield washer fluid will need to be replaced or serviced?

What does the service schedule for the LEAF look like?

Will the battery pack generate enough heat that it will radiate into the the passenger cabin through the floor or seats? (Got enough heat in Tucson!)

Are the windows treated with a UV filter or tint? Are the windows like low-E glass that help to eliminate heat from coming through?

More information about the add-ons that can be ordered for the LEAF. Floor mats, Zero Emission decal kit, door jam covers, etc. Any other after market products planned?

I've never been clear what the solar panel battery is suppose to power. How about a list of things that will run on this battery?

What did the recent testing of the two black LEAFs in Arizona show with battery temperature and mileage range with AC in this heat.

Thanks Brendan for taking these along. Wish you were my dealer in Tucson! If you see anyone from Thoroughbred Nissan in Tucson, tell them to take good care of Richard!!

More ... :)

• Status Notifications from the car: Smartphones are being advertised as being able to perform various functions regarding pre-cool/heat, etc. How about a simple SMS (text message) enabled phone ? Can it receive "done charging", "charging interrupted", etc messages ? And if such simpler devices (not classified as "SmartPhone") have web-access, can I still get a "pre-cool/heat" instruction to the car ?

Does the pre-cool/heat cycle use the current Automatic Temperature Control settings ?

Does the pre-cool/heat feature work when plugged into 120V/12A ? Or is it taking too much power, resulting in it being disabled or running in very reduced mode ?

Does the smart key fob ("Nissan Intelligent Key") have any sort of personalized settings so that when you approach the car and unlock it, my fob (versus spouse's) could activate custom his/her settings ?

Is there a Roadside Assistance Program (free of charge during warranty period ?) which sends out a tow truck with EVSE capability to provide some charging ?

TPMS: is it ABS/VDC based or actual pressure sensors ? Is there an information display on the touch screen for the pressures ? Is each tire's pressure displayed separately ? Does display include a tire temperature sensor ? Or, is at minimum an indication given WHICH tire is low ?

In addition to Richard's general Sevice Schedule question: Is there a cost associated with "services" ? Due to "newness" of this car, will there be additional or more frequent complimentary service "checkups" to verify "all is well" ? Does the car include a remote diagnostic or data upload feature, which is (or is not) controlled by the owner, and requires/does not require owner activation, or even dealer visit ?

Azrich said:
Will the battery pack generate enough heat that it will radiate into the the passenger cabin through the floor or seats? (Got enough heat in Tucson!)
No, it should not. If it did, that would indicate that the batteries are not efficient as they convert electricity into heat.

Azrich said:
I've never been clear what the solar panel battery is suppose to power. How about a list of things that will run on this battery?
The small solar panels trickle charges the 12V battery.

OK, so what runs on the (massive) 12v battery, and how much current is drawn?

RF Fob interface?
Charge-sensor interface?
Alarm System?
Minimal control micro-processor electronics?
AUX Components: Radio, Nav, etc?

What current will the HV DC to 13v DC inverter provide?
What runs on that, and how much current doee each draw?

Headlights?
Brake, tail, turn, fog, cabin lights?
etc.

1) Does the delivery depend on the dealer?
2) Reservation date or order date?
3) Would a dealer with more orders be delivering car earlier vs dealer with fewer orders?
4) Color choices more options and interior color choices? Anything to compare with existing colors
5) Any deposit for ordering? What happens if a customer orders the car and decides to not take delivery after the car has arrived? Does that car go to the next person on the line or to open market?
6) Warranty besides battery? Road side assistance covers what? how long?

LEAFer said:
Question to ask or items to gather in Las Vegas:

• When will we receive delivery date (very close estimate) ? At order time ? Shortly thereafter ?
    Shortly after. Expect it in Sept/Oct depending on how quickly you get in line.

Does color choice affect delivery date ?
    It shouldn't. Popular colors will most likely be built first, but there aren't too many colors to choose from, so it shouldn't be an issue

When will color codes be known (not color names, but real codes that match existing colors on Nissan dealer’s lot so that customer can see it in real life PRIOR to ordering (HINT!!)) ? (Preferably on a Versa, but ok if only available on another model.)
    Unknown
    Mileage, residual and money factor on lease ? Other considerations included on lease ? Are longer than 36 month leases possible ?
    Couldn't get an answer
    Warranty: car versus “battery” ? The 8/100 battery warranty includes which components ? For example, does it include inverter ? Charging system ? etc So, which parts are “demoted” to the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and how long is that one ?
    Everything in the battery pack. Cells, inverter, etc. Electric motor is in the drivetrain warranty.
    Battery Warranty: is it prorated ? And exactly how ? What objective criteria determine (“trigger”) repair and/or replacement ?
    Couldn't get a straight answer. Heard prorated, but they couldn't explain how to my satisfaction. Trigger for repairs are anything out of the norm for the pack to be doing.
    Level 3 charge feature for NON-EVProject customers: included or not ? Only on SL ? Cost or free ? (Strong hint from a customer here: standardize on CHAdeMO already ! Do NOT wait for SAE alternate proposal(s) !)
    Only on a very small number of SL's. No idea on cost, and heard conflicting reports on whether you can retrofit it (battery/charger guy said no, by my GM heard otherwise at a breakout meeting).
    Copy of waiver to use only Level 1 charging ? When does the waiver have to be signed (at order or at delivery) ? And does using the waiver have any influence on delivery date ?
    August 27th email should have information on this, but if it doesn't make it in that email, you'll be contacted after your order is submitted. They basically want to make sure you have a legit order, and that you're not going to just flip it for a profit.
    Does the “closest charger” feature include real-time station status (available, busy, out-of-service) ?
    It's in the works, but years out. $$$ is the biggest factor in getting that to market.

When (what model year) will 6.6kW charger be included ? Will initial models be upgradable and for what cost ?
    Speculated to be a few years out. 2013ish. From the battery/charger guy, can't be retrofitted.

Azrich said:
Questions to take to LEAF Info Expo:

When the LEAF was first introduced, Mark Perry said that only two fluids would be used in the LEAF, brake fluid and windshield washer fluid. Photos of the engine show about 6 caps for fluids. What fluids beside brake fluid and windshield washer fluid will need to be replaced or serviced?
Don't know. I saw under the hood and was also confused. Two of the caps are on the same fluid loop, and the product demonstrators didn't know either. One speculated that one was for the scented air deal it's rumored to have.
What does the service schedule for the LEAF look like?
To be determined, but Japan is doing an inspection every 6 months. USA is tinkering with the idea of once a year, or when the cars on board diagnostics calls for it.
No
Are the windows treated with a UV filter or tint? Are the windows like low-E glass that help to eliminate heat from coming through?
UV filter
More information about the add-ons that can be ordered for the LEAF. Floor mats, Zero Emission decal kit, door jam covers, etc. Any other after market products planned?
Spotted clothing (hats, purses, cups), Leaf kickplates, blue center console, all weather mats+trunkliner, water bottles
Charges the 12V
What did the recent testing of the two black LEAFs in Arizona show with battery temperature and mileage range with AC in this heat.
Heat+AC dropped the range to about 70 miles. Cold weather+heater is the worst actually. Snowy climates where you're running the heater are brutal on the battery, so those in the snow belt have it worse than those in the desert.
Thanks Brendan for taking these along. Wish you were my dealer in Tucson! If you see anyone from Thoroughbred Nissan in Tucson, tell them to take good care of Richard!!

I didn't see anyone from Tucson otherwise I would have! :D

LEAFer said:
More ... :)

• Status Notifications from the car: Smartphones are being advertised as being able to perform various functions regarding pre-cool/heat, etc. How about a simple SMS (text message) enabled phone ? Can it receive "done charging", "charging interrupted", etc messages ? And if such simpler devices (not classified as "SmartPhone") have web-access, can I still get a "pre-cool/heat" instruction to the car ?
    SMS notifications like "you forgot to charge me," "charge complete" etc. You can also have it email you if you'd like. It sounded like it was mostly app based, so not sure about a web interface.
    Does the pre-cool/heat cycle use the current Automatic Temperature Control settings ?
    That's what I understood. The app has a start stop function, but the temp is what's in the climate control. Subject to change though as they build the app out.

Does the pre-cool/heat feature work when plugged into 120V/12A ? Or is it taking too much power, resulting in it being disabled or running in very reduced mode ?
    They recommend running the AC/heater while connected, but made no distinction on 120V. Closest thing to a perfect answer was "It'll charge at a reduced rate."

Does the smart key fob ("Nissan Intelligent Key") have any sort of personalized settings so that when you approach the car and unlock it, my fob (versus spouse's) could activate custom his/her settings ?
    Didn't get an answer. I'm not 100% on my Nissan trivia, so I'm not sure if any of their cars does this.
    Is there a Roadside Assistance Program (free of charge during warranty period ?) which sends out a tow truck with EVSE capability to provide some charging ?
    There is a roadside program, but the duration isn't firmed up. AAA is working on getting flatbeds with chargers.

TPMS: is it ABS/VDC based or actual pressure sensors ? Is there an information display on the touch screen for the pressures ? Is each tire's pressure displayed separately ? Does display include a tire temperature sensor ? Or, is at minimum an indication given WHICH tire is low ?
    Didn't get a firm answer on this.

In addition to Richard's general Sevice Schedule question: Is there a cost associated with "services" ? Due to "newness" of this car, will there be additional or more frequent complimentary service "checkups" to verify "all is well" ? Does the car include a remote diagnostic or data upload feature, which is (or is not) controlled by the owner, and requires/does not require owner activation, or even dealer visit ?
    Costs unknown, since they haven't released what is on the "checkups." The Leaf has a remote diagnostic, or it can be plugged into a diagnostic computer. It'll beam it's info back to mother to let her know how it's doing, and if it needs anything Nissan will know. Doesn't require activation, it'll just do it.

garygid said:
OK, so what runs on the (massive) 12v battery, and how much current is drawn?

RF Fob interface?
Charge-sensor interface?
Alarm System?
Minimal control micro-processor electronics?
AUX Components: Radio, Nav, etc?

What current will the HV DC to 13v DC inverter provide?
What runs on that, and how much current doee each draw?

Headlights?
Brake, tail, turn, fog, cabin lights?
etc.
Nobody, including the engineers on hand knew this off the top of their heads. I'm supposed to get an email from them, so when I do, I'll pass it along.

csriram45 said:
1) Does the delivery depend on the dealer?
Depends on how quickly you and the dealer agree on price and submit the order.
2) Reservation date or order date?
See 1
3) Would a dealer with more orders be delivering car earlier vs dealer with fewer orders?
See 1. Be at the top of the list by agreeing to price and having the dealer submit you as their first order, and you'll get the first car.
4) Color choices more options and interior color choices? Anything to compare with existing colors
You'll see the final options in the Aug 27 email.
5) Any deposit for ordering? What happens if a customer orders the car and decides to not take delivery after the car has arrived? Does that car go to the next person on the line or to open market?
$99 should have taken care of it back in 4/20. Orders will be deep enough that it should just go to the next person who has reserved one like it.
6) Warranty besides battery? Road side assistance covers what? how long?
3/36k bumper to bumper, 5/60k (estimated) on the "powertrain" (electric motor, drive axles etc), plus the 8yr on the battery. Roadside to be determined.

mwalsh said:
BrendanDolan said:
My pleasure! I can't wait for my Leaf either, so I'm just as excited as everyone else!

Oh, you just think you're as excited as I am. I can barely contain myself. Every day without my beautiful Leaf is like another day living in hell. :lol:
I spent days getting teased, so trust me, I'm right there with you. I got to play with the chargers, hold individual cells from the battery pack, sit in the Leaf, etc. It was mildly painful to know I'm gonna have to wait more months. :lol:

BrendanDolan said:
mwalsh said:
BrendanDolan said:
My pleasure! I can't wait for my Leaf either, so I'm just as excited as everyone else!

Oh, you just think you're as excited as I am. I can barely contain myself. Every day without my beautiful Leaf is like another day living in hell. :lol:
I spent days getting teased, so trust me, I'm right there with you. I got to play with the chargers, hold individual cells from the battery pack, sit in the Leaf, etc. It was mildly painful to know I'm gonna have to wait more months. :lol:

This post is useless without photos...chargers, cells in hand, butt in seat...all these things are void unless photographed and shared :)

Gavin

Gavin said:
This post is useless without photos...chargers, cells in hand, butt in seat...all these things are void unless photographed and shared :)

Gavin

I'm waiting for the IT guy to unlock photobucket. We changed firewalls at work over the weekend, and I can't login to upload the photos. I'll get some online the second that I can get to my account there. :D

Back