Getting my new SL tomorrow

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ksnogas2112 said:
MrIanB said:
Awesome color. Thanks for the pix. What's his/her name.

Ian B
He is Prince By-Tor, Knight of Darkness, Centurion of Evil, Devil's Prince. It was just a fly by night idea to name it that way.

I had a similar experience about the quiet. I had to take my wife's Prius to Scout summer camp because it was 30-40 miles out of reach. So she drove my Leaf for 2 weeks. When I gave her the Prius back she wanted to know what I did to it because it was so noisy I must have broken it. She got her Prius 2 weeks before my Leaf and both cars were less than a month old at this point. She still complains about how loud the turn signals are.

That's a good one. My friend whenever I pick her up to drive somewhere she gets real close and says, " is this car on", me laughing say yes, gotta love this car. I had a 9-12 year old kid at the gas station ask me if the car was electric and when I said yes, he said cool. Caught me off guard someone that young entwined with electric cars. Probably a bright future young man.

Ian B

Picked up the Red today. Pretty painless execpt the finance guy was backed up.

I didn't get to drive it since its Leanne's car but I test drove one this morning. Loved the way it drove.

I ordered my schneider EVLink with overnight shipping but it did not ship today so that means we'll have to wait until monday evening most likely. I'll pull the permit and do the wiring this weekend so all I have to do is hook it up.

Andy

You can still charge it through the Nissan supplied cord at any 120V socket and get a nice 70+ miles range overnight. I have been doing that for 9 months now..

MrIanB said:
I had a 9-12 year old kid at the gas station ask me if the car was electric and when I said yes, he said cool. Caught me off guard someone that young entwined with electric cars. Probably a bright future young man.

Ian B

Same experience here. Had a very young Scout point to the car out to his dad and go "Hey that's a Leaf" and then proceed to explain it.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our Cayenne Red baby. :) Hubby drives it to work during the week because I have a company car but I get it on the weekends. The funny thing is that I work in the electric cooperative program -- seems like I should be the one driving it! I tell my boss he knows I'm walking the talk.

Just saw my first Leaf other than ours parked and charging at our OKC Whole Food Market yesterday. Left my business card on the windshield telling them it was my first time to see another Leaf. Had the nicest conversation with him when he called last night. Turns out that we had purchased his orphan -- he got tired of waiting for his to come in so he found another one the dealership brought in from Texas. His is blue. I think he was disappointed he didn't wait for the red. We had ordered the silver but we love the red and are so happy that's what we got. :)

Attachments

• tag.JPG
    tag.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 84
Over a week later and we still love it. It's perfect for Leanne's pet sitting business.

However it has caused problems.

Even though my Honda gets good gas mileage I'm now irritated when I have to fill it up.

My commute is ~45 miles per day... however I now think of it as 2 gallons per day... ~$136/month in gas at todays prices.

I don't want to pay it.

We went and test drove a Volt. It was nice but we didn't like it as much as the Leaf. Their leases only include $2500 of the federal credit so the lease payments were high.

Today I saw a dealer ad for a SL Leaf: $188/month, zero down, 24 months.

Since Colorado will give me `$2500 my actual monthly price will be under $100/month

I emailed the dealer we bought the original leaf from and told him if they match it I'd lease it Monday.

If he won't I'll call every dealer... I don't want to buy gas for my daily commute.

Andy

Is Chevy doing like Toyota where they give you part of the 7500 rebate and keep the rest or is it just that dealer? If that is the case I WILL NOT buy a Volt, eveeeeeeeeer.

Ian B

In our Experience ... the Lease on a Volt (US Bank) will give you the entire $7,500 benefit. *HOWEVER*, the way they did it with us ... was not to reduce the MSRP, but to add it to (i.e. inflating) the residual. This does reduce the differential (MSRP-Residual) in the same way so that you benefit from lower lease payments. However, it has the side effect of you losing the $7,500 at the end of the lease if you want to buy it out. Nissan Lease does it "correctly", i.e. reducing the MSRP and calculating a "normal" residual.

AndyLL said:
Over a week later and we still love it. It's perfect for Leanne's pet sitting business.
However it has caused problems.
Even though my Honda gets good gas mileage I'm now irritated when I have to fill it up.
:lol:

LEAFer said:
In our Experience ... the Lease on a Volt (US Bank) will give you the entire $7,500 benefit. *HOWEVER*, the way they did it with us ... was not to reduce the MSRP, but to add it to (i.e. inflating) the residual. This does reduce the differential (MSRP-Residual) in the same way so that you benefit from lower lease payments. However, it has the side effect of you losing the $7,500 at the end of the lease if you want to buy it out. Nissan Lease does it "correctly", i.e. reducing the MSRP and calculating a "normal" residual.

We were 'told' by the dealer that Ally was applying $2400 & USBank $2000. The lease deal they offered was:
39 Month, 12000 miles, $3000 Cap Red, $379 monthly payment.

On Leaf I got 36 Month, 15000 miles, $3000 Cap Red (included taxes & 1st), $235 monthly payment.

At 1st the GM dealer said no rebates were applied to the $379 payment and then when I asked for a payment with them applied they reversed themselves and said they were.

So either the dealer was clueless or shifty or both. Since they also lowballed my trade by at least $2000 I decided not to deal with them.

I also decided I didn't like the Volt enough to call other dealers. Maybe later if my new Leaf deal falls through and GM starts offering the deals they had back in September.

Andy

Picked up another Leaf today. :shock:

Tynan's in Denver had a great ad in the paper over the weekend: zero down, $189/month for 24 months on a SL. Plus to free roundtrip tickets.

Was there at opening today.

Of course there was some fine print... 1st payment, Acq Free, Taxes due. Plus you had to qualify for the Nissan Loyalty $500 credit which we didn't because our last purchase just last week. :x

They wanted ~$2500 up front for that payment.

When it was all said and done we got a $230/month payment with $1000 out of pocket. Final prices was $1400 under invoice ( although they took ~$500) back as a DOC fee plus of course Nissan's $9775 rebate.

It was a better deal then we got last week.

So we now own 2 Leafs, a 2010 Honda Accord EX-L, and a 10 year old F150.

Andy

AndyLL said:
Picked up another Leaf today. . . . So we now own 2 Leafs, a 2010 Honda Accord EX-L, and a 10 year old F150.

Andy
Conratulations on putting yourself in an enviable position! You have the best possible combination of vehicles, 2 fun to drive Leafs which will seem like free fuel, plus a reliable ICE to use on those >100 mile trips. I totally agree with your decisions, and I'm in that "gotta love 'em old folks" demographic. :p . . . Enjoy!

AndyLL said:
I ordered my schneider EVLink with overnight shipping but it did not ship today so that means we'll have to wait until monday evening most likely. I'll pull the permit and do the wiring this weekend so all I have to do is hook it up.
Congrats on your (wife's) Leaf Andy!

Be warned, that we've had a troubling amount of reports of the Schneider EVSE spontaneously refusing to charge, even though it had a green light. Schneider will warranty it, but it will mean your Leaf use will be limited until they do. We can upgrade your Nissan-supplied charge cord starting at $239, after which it will be both a backup for your Schneider and a portable high-speed charge cord. Most of the Leaf owners here on the forum have the upgrade.

-Phil

Phil,
That's the first I've heard on the Schneiders having a problem. Did I miss something on MNL or were you seeing this elsewhere. Does that make every vendor to have a problem of some kind? I've seen blinking Blinks, grounded GE's, corrupt Clippers, and aborting Aerovironmentals all posted here on MNL.

Also, congrats on a 2 Leaf household. Wish we were.

ksnogas2112 said:
Phil,
That's the first I've heard on the Schneiders having a problem. Did I miss something on MNL or were you seeing this elsewhere. Does that make every vendor to have a problem of some kind? I've seen blinking Blinks, grounded GE's, corrupt Clippers, and aborting Aerovironmentals all posted here on MNL.

Also, congrats on a 2 Leaf household. Wish we were.
I have a Schneider and it seemed like it had a short, not giving a full charge a couple of times, and now it has no power at all, I have the electrician that installed it coming to look at it today to see if he can figure it out, if not will be calling Schneider. Also would like to know if others have had issues.

I have an upgraded EVSE and am using that, well worth the money if you have a 240 socket to plug into. If the Schneider acts up too much, I will try to return it and buy another upgraded unit!

To the OP, great choice to buy two! I have also hated to fill the gas tank, but I have hated it from the very first time I did it. I have wanted a clean way to get around, and thankfully we are getting there with the Leaf.

Edit: The electrician figured it out. Turns out the connection was suspect in the unit where the fuses were. Took them out, sprayed the area with a little lubricant, and it now works again.

Caracalover said:
Edit: The electrician figured it out. Turns out the connection was suspect in the unit where the fuses were. Took them out, sprayed the area with a little lubricant, and it now works again.

Caracalover,
The device connections to the device fuses or where the line got attached to the device? I wasn't home to watch the install of mine so I don't have a clue how the guts of the thing are configured.

ksnogas2112 said:
Phil,
We are getting reports of failing Schneiders from our customers. One of them recently brought theirs by for me to examine, and I couldn't determine what was wrong. Looked like a software problem. (Blinking code on board, but green light on outside)

All I can say for sure, we are hearing of failures, and the construction of the unit is "chintzy".

-Phil

ksnogas2112 said:
Caracalover said:

Caracalover,
The device connections to the device fuses or where the line got attached to the device? I wasn't home to watch the install of mine so I don't have a clue how the guts of the thing are configured.
Not sure how to answer this. He put a tester on the fuses to see if they had power, and determined they had power getting to them, but that was where the problem was. He pulled the fuses, ensured the connections behind them were tight (One screw turned a quarter turn) and then sprayed lubricant over the whole area. This was not part of the install that he did, so it was an issue within the device, but not a major one. He then put the fuses back in and it has worked fine ever since. The cover comes off very easy, two little screws on the bottom and then it just lifts off.

AndyLL : Congrats on the Leaves! I do pet sitting here in Kansas. If your wife is as busy as I get here in Kansas, she has to be loving what the Leaf is doing to her profit margin.

Back