General EV sales topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
danrjones said:
I don't know where you got your avg rate of 18 cents for CA, but SCE is much higher than that - I'm on a three rate TOU system and the cheapest of the three TOU rates is 32 cents and tops out at 46 cents during the winter, during summer its 33 and 52 cents per kWh.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/state/

For the year 2020, and I'd expect rates are higher now. SCE raises the average.

danrjones said:
And our gas is currently 5.49 here for regular.

How long ago did you check? :lol:

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=CA

AAA shows $5.75, again state average. As of March 15,2022.

Just at lunch. 5.49. Our area tends to somehow be below the state Avg. Could because we are close to Bakersfield, which ships directly to us?

I should caveat that I have lots of solar. No way I would pay SCEs rates.

So for curiosity I pulled PG&E rates, they are similar:

TOU varies, but from 33 cents to 40 cents or as high as 42 cents to 49 cents, summer, winter is slightly lower.
Their tiered system is 31/39/49 cents.

As a comparison again, SCE:
TOU varies, 33 to 52 cents summer
Tiered 28/37/46

So PGE and SCE aren't that far apart, though to exactly compare you would have to calculate baseline allocations and which TOU and such.
I believe PGE and SCE serve about 10.5 million of the 13.2 million households in CA, or about 80% of CA.

I think that 18 cent number is just way out of date? Before all the recent fires.

danrjones said:
So PGE and SCE aren't that far apart, though to exactly compare you would have to calculate baseline allocations and which TOU and such.
I believe PGE and SCE serve about 10.5 million of the 13.2 million households in CA, or about 80% of CA.

I think that 18 cent number is just way out of date? Before all the recent fires.

I agree that rates have probably gone up.

I can't find good statistics more recent.

I'd originally begun this reply on March 10th, didn't finish it and then got very busy for the past month +, so finally getting it done.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
I don't see any point at cherry picking short term intervals out of a longer term trend.

One year is a definite change in trend.

No. Not true. Notice that BEVs gain relative to PhEVs from 2014 to 2015. Then lose to 2016. Then gain to 2017. Then lose to 2018. Then gain to 2019. These are not "changes in trend".

us-plug-in-car-sales-q4-2021-source-eia.jpg

Then call it no trend, if you prefer.

WetEV said:
And frankly, if PHEVs were growing faster than BEVs, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. PHEVs will require infrastructure like L1/L2 home, parking garage, workplace and other destination charging. Which BEVs will later need. PHEVs will start the phaseout of the neighborhood gas station, as most fueling will be for longer trips only. PHEVs will ramp up production of power semiconductors and lots of other components, needed for BEVs later.

There is an honest case to be made for PHEVs, now and perhaps very long term with PHEVs with bio/synthetic/hydrogen fuels. And for that matter, until BEV production has ramped up enough to supply everyone, there is an honest case for some to prefer an ICE or a hybrid. This is an improvement over hydrogen fuel cells, so I'm glad to see some progress has been made.

Make the honest case.

You just stated the case for PHEVs I've been making for years now, although BEVs are the ones that really need or benefit from L2. As I've pointed out, modest AER PHEVs only need L1; L2 is gravy. There's far more existing L1 circuits at homes and businesses than L2, and it's far more likely that you can add another one at a home if desired without having to upgrade the service entrance. So yeah, we've got to build the L1 and esp. L2 infrastructure for BEVs; PHEVs buy us time to do that. BTW, how is a PHEV with bio/syn/H2 an improvement over fuel cells, since I've been pointing out the potential advantages of PHEVs with all of these including PHFCEVs in the ultimate ZEV mix for a long time? Or are you talking about PHEVs using H2 in an ICE?

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
BEVs are just nicer to drive than PHEVs, HEVs and ICEs. Driver preference matters. Sure, there are some use cases for PHEVs.

Some BEVs are nicer to drive, but buyer preference obviously shows that most people still prefer to buy ICEs in one form or another.

BEVs were a niche car in the past, and still are now. The niche keeps doubling in size. "Most people" will not be there until the last doubling. Then BEVs will no longer be a niche. You seem to insist that BEVs need to be mainstream first. Which is backwards to reality. The niche must come first, and production/supply chain issues will prevent an instant replacement.

EVs have been a niche for 11 years now, and when have I ever suggested that BEVs must be an instant replacement? I've stated that the transition will be gradual. To you. Multiple times. They still haven't crossed the chasm from early adopters to the early majority. Judging from the number of news stories I'm seeing, if gas prices stay around where they are now we might finally be at that point, but oil prices hav3e already dropped significantly from their recent peak. We'll have to see if that continues, because financial advantages motivate far more people than ideology does.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Electric power is cheaper than gasoline. At home I'm paying about $1 per equivalent gallon (0.11 per kWh), and about $2.50 (0.31 kWh) for the infrequent fast charge. Based on 1 gallon of gas is about the same as 8 kWh. Energy in a gallon of gasoline is about 33 kWh, and the electric car is about 4 times more efficient.

Today's gas price was $4.546 (3/8/2022) average for Washington State.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=WA

Why would I buy a PHEV and pay almost twice as much for energy/fuel on road trips?

Electricity is certainly cheap for you, but then you have some of the cheapest electricity in the country thanks to lots of old hydro: https://www.eia.gov/electricity/state/ Other locations (like mine) have different ratios.

I pay just about exactly the national average, and slightly more than the state average.

U.S. average retail price per kilowatthour is 10.59 cents

California pays an average of 18 cents per kWh, which is about $1.44 per gallon equivalent. Gas price has not been below that for the past 10 years for California.

ch.gaschart

Dan Jones mentioned what California's rates are in the major IOU areas. Here's an example of the actual rates people pay in the Bay Area in PG&E land, which also happens to be the U.S. metro area with the highest sales % for PEVs. I've previously pointed you to cwerdna's posts about his rates, but just to bring us all onto the same page, here's quoting his post from last September:
cwerdna wrote
outerspaceguy
cwerdna
On my Bolt, I also DC FC sometimes at a dual-standard DC FC 5 miles from home in an area where I frequently pass which is 19 cents per kWh. That is cheaper than me charging at home.
I am on the SRP EV plan, so EV charging is 5.75 cents per kwh (as high as 6.14 cents, depending on the month) if I charge at home and use the car's timer correctly. Which i do :) .

https://www.srpnet.com/prices/home/electricvehicle.aspx

At work, I can also solar charge for free.

We can only dream of rates that cheap in Pacific Gouge & Extort land. To try to keep this thread more on-topic, my reply's at viewtopic.php?p=610409#p610409.

Which links to

I'm currently on E-TOU-C (https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/ ... -TOU-C.pdf, see pages 2 and 4). Baseline is only 10.3 or 10.5 kWh per day for me, depending on the time of year so 309 or 315 kWh per 30 day billing period. In "summer" rates are from 28.1 to 42 cents per kWh, depending on time of day and if you're within baseline.

For rest of year, it's 30.5 to 32.2 cents per kWh. If you're within baseline for that billing period any time of year, you're credited back 7.5 cents per kWh. That's how they do tiering. So, the actual range for rest of year is 23 to 32.2 cents per kWh.

If I charge an EV at home for most/all of my EV usage, I for sure will be pushed into tier 2 and thus my marginal cost to charge at home would be at best 35.6 cents in "summer" and 30.5 cents per kWh rest of year.

There is an EV plan, EV2-A (https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/ ... 0(Sch).pdf). There's no tiering but rates range from 18.5 to 49.8 cents per kWh. See pages 2 and 4. Basically, electricity is only cheap between midnight to 3 pm. They really kill you from 4 to 9 pm and it's pretty bad from 3 pm to 4 pm and 9 pm to midnight. This is for every single day.

There's also "Customers at premises with total usage in excess of 800 percent of baseline over 12 months will be moved to Schedule E-TOU-D and will be prohibited from taking service on any electric vehicle rate schedule for 12 months."[/b]

No thanks. I'm working from home most days now due to COVID and being required to wear a mask indoors at all times at the office (except for actively eating and drinking) due to county ordinances. The EV2-A rates are crazy outside of off-peak.

Not exactly "$0.18/kWh" for home use when you get into the details, now is it? Or maybe you think cwerdna is against BEVs??

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Your needs are well suited for a BEV, because as you've told us your wife's personal endurance is only 1.5 to 2 hours, and from what you've said doesn't sound like you take multi-hundred let alone multi-thousand mile road trips.

So tell me, so why would I know the wife's range? As I've said before, we take a 200+ mile round trip monthly or more often to visit grandchildren. As I've said before, that's one stop on the way there and one stop and the way back. One of which needs to be a charging stop. For less time filling up than emptying.

Why would you know your wife's range? Why the hell wouldn't you, if you drive with her? She's your wife, not someone you only travel with once and then forget. Once again, if she's not along, what are your endurance limits? For those of us with longer endurance (mine's typically 4-5 hours bathroom, 5-6 hours food), for that trip all ICEs/HEVs could do the trip non-stop each way, and many of them could do the roundtrip unrefueled, which offers more convenience and flexibility. I don't have to stop, but can if I choose to when and where I want , with essentially no need to link my food stops with my fuel and/or bathroom stops lest I add considerable extra time to the trip. As I said, a BEV suits your stated needs, not (yet) mine or people with similar requirements. But 800V+ packs, solid-state and maybe other battery improvements are getting us closer. Or we can simply avoid the problem and go PHEV using some non-fossil-fuel form of energy from the 3 you mention above for the parts of the trip a battery is least suited to.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Why would anyone buy a PHEV for road trips? Because it allows them to go anywhere they want, any route they want any time they want in any conditions, in the shortest possible time, with maximum flexibility, and without having to plan their trips around charging stops.

More true in the past, less true in the future.

Which is why fossil-fueled PHEVs are a transitional tech. See above.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Current gas prices won't stay this high anymore than they did in 2008 (which is still the highest average U.S. price all-time, adjusted for inflation), so at some point in the probably not too distant future it will once again be cheaper to gas up on trips than it is to FC. After all, it's only been in the past month or so that the reverse has been the case

EA charges $0.31 per kWh in California (plus $4 per month). That works out to roughly $2.50 per equivalent gallon. Go look at that 10 year chart again. Sure, there have been times that EA was more expensive than gasoline nationwide average. But not in California. And not by long.

Most people drive most miles locally, so fast charging price is a minor part of the cost.

It's minor if you have convenient L1/2, which takes us back to the need to build that (and the current advantages of PHEVs). But in the meantime, we need urban FCs for all those that can't. I've been monitoring DCFC prices for years now, and (assuming that I was driving a high-mpg HEV rather than my Forester, and sometimes even in it), gas prices were cheaper than DCFCing on my trips. Of course, that $4 + $0.31/kWh only reaches parity with $0.43/kWh after you've taken 33.3 kWh (not a problem on road trips), and although it continues to decrease beyond that it never quite reaches $0.31/kWh. That also assumes that your route allows you to charge at EA stations, and that you'll be able to activate them. As I've mentioned, I was only able to do so for 1 out of 8 attempts on the trip I took with a Bolt, specifically to check the state of charging along my most common trip route. How about driving off-interstate on U.S. across Nevada, something I've done 4 times and will do more of? Want to charge in Ely, Nevada? $5.00 per session + $0.50/kWh. The nearest charger to the west is in Austin, 147 miles away, and charges $0.50/kWh, so from there eastward it's Ely or nothing.

Now, when gas prices peaked last month they were $2.00/gal. higher locally than they'd been the year before (and the highest in the country, as is normally the case). Prior to the recent spike, DCFCing hasn't been less expensive than buying gas if you were driving a high mpg HEV, and in many cases depending on the rate for charging at the particular charger, even my Forester getting its typical 28-30 mpg on trips was cheaper.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Yes, but like a horse that just sh!ts a little less, HEVs doesn't help that much with air pollution, and still drives like an ICE, except for short periods of time.

Yes, and that's what the majority of EV users are buying. So much for consumer preference. Obviously their preferences differ from yours and mine, but then MNL members are a self-selected minority.

The last is true, of course. You are among the last people, by use case, to rationally switch to an EV. I was among the first. Which brings up a long standing question. You are not the typical MNL member, but rather the other extreme. Why are you here?

I've answered that question several times here (including at least twice to cwerdna) and can't remember if I've ever answered it to you, but am tired of doing so in any case. Since you've been reading my posts for years you must have an opinion, so why don't you post why you think I'm here, and I'll post corrections as necessary and save the answer for the next time. BTW, I won't be among the last to switch - I'll be early majority because I'm ideologically motivated.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Yet PHEVs require more L1/L2 infrastructure faster. While a PHEV might used a quarter the battery of a BEV, and produce 50% electric miles, home charging would be needed for all of the PHEVs, assuming of course that they would actually be plugged in. HEVs would be better for those that can't plug in yet.

Of course HEVs are better for those who can't plug in, and who know that is unlikely to change in a useful period of time.

That is likely to change in the next decade. Oh, I'd guess you will still be holding out.

See above.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
PHEVs don't require any extra electric infrastructure, nor do they require home charging, but you can bet most people opting to buy one (who aren't motivated by bad incentives like automatic HOV lane access even when running on the ICE) instead of an HEV will have access to charging often enough to be worthwhile. As I said, electric when you can, gas when you want or have to.

Very few electric miles for those that don't have home and/or work place charging. Notice that the same charging infrastructure would provide for more electric miles with BEVs than with PHEVs.

The same existing L1 infrastructure will allow for far more PHEV miles, because more people can afford the cars and have no need to upgrade electrical systems, even assuming they are allowed to do so (i.e. homeowners rather than renters).

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
This assumes a even bigger government hand forcing PHEVs over BEVs, as PHEVs are mostly currently subsidized and BEVs are most not, at the US Federal level. States are different, of course. A larger subsidy for PHEVs will be needed to overcome the driver preference for a BEV, or for that matter for an ICE.

As you know I'm against direct to consumer subsidies, as they distort the market whenever they prefer a particular tech. I want buyers to make financial decisions without the government's finger being so visibly on the scale.

You are OK with technologies that dump toxins into people's lungs?

Free dumping is a subsidy.

See any of my previous replies regarding the needs to fix incentives, require tight emissions standards and high fossil-fuel taxes such as California's (highest in the country), LCFS, cap and trade, etc.

IEVS:
Germany: Plug-In Car Sales Decreased In March 2022
Tesla Model 3 and Model Y were the two most registered all-electric cars in Q1.

https://insideevs.com/news/580576/germany-plugin-car-sales-march2022/

New passenger car registrations in Germany decreased in March by 17.5% year-over-year to 241,330. Considering the current situation in Europe, with some additional parts supply constraints, we might see a similar picture in the following months too.

Even the plug-in segment is not an exception and noted a slight decline in March. The main issues were interruptions of production, rather than lack of demand.

Plug-in electric car registrations decreased last month by 6% year-over-year to 61,762. Nonetheless, the plug-in share improved a bit, to 25.6% (from 22.5% a year ago).

If we check the details, it turns out that battery-electric vehicle sales were higher than a year ago and the decrease was associated solely with plug-in hybrids.

Results by type:

BEVs: 34,474 – up 15% at 14.3% market share
PHEVs: 27,288 – down 23% at 11.3% market share
Total: 61,762 – down 6% at 25.6% market share.

So far this year, more than 151,000 new passenger plug-in cars were registered in Germany:

BEVs: 83,672 – up 29% at 13.4% market share
PHEVs: 67,771 – down 13% at 10.8% market share
Total: 151,443 – up 6% at 24.2% market share.

Top brands
Tesla has achieved another amazing result in Germany, delivering more all-electric cars than any other manufacturer (even including plug-in hybrids).

The company noted a total of 8,045 new registrations, significantly more than German brands - BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and Audi. Volkswagen is once again off of the podium and we can see another sign of Hyundai's strong position.

Plug-in car registrations by brands (at least 2,000) last month:

Tesla: 8045 BEVs
BMW: 6329 - 2719 BEVs and 3610 PHEVs
Mercedes-Benz: 5967 - 1362 BEVs and 4605 PHEVs
Volkswagen: 5013 - 2250 BEVs and 2763 PHEVs
Audi: 4863 - 2175 BEVs and 2688 PHEVs
Hyundai: 3591 - 2623 BEVs and 968 PHEVs
Renault: 2662 - 2255 BEVs and 407 PHEVs
SEAT: 2535 - 269 BEVs and 2266 PHEVs
Ford: 2425 - 423 BEVs and 2002 PHEVs
Kia: 2187 - 1071 BEVs and 1116 PHEVs. . . .

Given that Germany's average gas price ($8.07/gal. as of April 18th) make California's current average price of $5.69/gal. today look relatively cheap, I'm not surprised that PHEVs saw a drop-off, although the (mostly higher-end) German manufacturers are still selling far more PHEVs than BEVs.

Around here, checking last Saturday for a friend none of my nearby new car dealers (Toyota/VW/Nissan/Mitsubishi) had any BEVs in stock, and only a single example of a PHEV, the lousy-on-gas Outlander.

IEVS:
China: Plug-In Electric Car Sales More Than Doubled In March 2022
More than a quarter of new passenger cars sold last month ware rechargeable.

https://insideevs.com/news/582106/china-plugin-car-sales-march2022/

According to EV Volumes' data shared by Jose Pontes, some 458,273 new passenger plug-in electric cars were registered in China in March, which is 118% more than a year ago and the second-highest monthly volume ever. For reference, that's about half of the global plug-in car sales.

Not only that, the share of plug-in cars improved once again, reaching 26%, including 21% for all-electric cars. The remaining 5% are plug-in hybrids.

BEVs: about *370,000 and 21% share
PHEVs: about *88,000 and 5% share
Total: 458,273 (up 118%) and 26% share

So far this year, over 1.1 million new passenger plug-in electric cars were registered in China, while the market share reached 21% (16% BEVs).

BEVs: about *0.86 million and 16% share
PHEVs: about *0.27 million and 5% share
Total: 1,124,490 (up 130%) and 21% share
* estimated from the market share

For reference, in 2021, the total plug-in electric car registrations increased by about 153% year-over-year to over 3.2 million (from 1.27 million in 2020). In 2022, the total volume might reach 5-6 million, according to some forecasts. . . .

So far this year, over 1.1 million new passenger plug-in electric cars were registered in China, while the market share reached 21% (16% BEVs).

BEVs: about *0.86 million and 16% share
PHEVs: about *0.27 million and 5% share
Total: 1,124,490 (up 130%) and 21% share
* estimated from the market share

For reference, in 2021, the total plug-in electric car registrations increased by about 153% year-over-year to over 3.2 million (from 1.27 million in 2020). In 2022, the total volume might reach 5-6 million, according to some forecasts. . . .

Top plug-in brands by share in the plug-in segment year-to-date:

BYD: 25.3%
SAIC-GM-Wuling: 10.2%
Tesla: 9.6%
Chery: 4.7%
GAC: 4.0%. . . .

IEVS:
Europe: Plug-In Car Market Share Reached 22% In March 2022
The Tesla Model 3 and Model Y were the best-selling electric cars in Q1.

https://insideevs.com/news/582624/europe-plugin-car-sales-march2022/

Europe is experiencing a really challenging time right now and the latest passenger car sales data also highlight that. In March, car sales decreased by about 19% year-over-year to roughly 1.14 million.

In the case of the plug-in segment, the situation is different - much better, because the electrification is booming. Challenges with parts supply and overall uncertainty only slow the plug-in segment down, rather than bringing it into the red like internal combustion engine cars.

According to EV Volumes' data, shared by Jose Pontes, roughly 250,000 new passenger plug-in cars were registered in Europe last month, which is 10% more than a year ago. More importantly, it's the second-highest monthly result ever.

The plug-in market share, as expected, improved further, reaching 22%, after 20% in February.

An important finding is that the plug-in segment is driven only by all-electric cars, which noted a healthy growth rate of 47%, while plug-in hybrids declined noticeably (by 22% year-over-year).

New plug-in car registrations:

BEVs: about *159,000 (up 47% year-over-year) and 14% share
PHEVs: about *91,000 (down 22% year-over-year) and 8% share
Total: 250,601 (up 10% year-over-year) and 22% share

So far this year, some 565,297 new passenger plug-in electric cars were registered in Europe. That's about 21% of the total volume.

BEVs: about *0.32 million and 12% share
PHEVs: about *0.11 million and 9% share
Total: 565,297 (up 24% year-over-year) and 21% share. . . .

Top brands last month:

Tesla- 10.5%
BMW - 9.1%
Mercedes-Benz - 8.9%
Volvo - 6.1%
Kia - 6.0%
Volkswagen - 5.9%
Audi - 5.9%
Peugeot - 5.7%
Top automotive groups last month:

The top automotive groups by plug-in electric car sales volume in Europe:

Volkswagen Group - 17.5% share
Stellantis - 14.7% share (Peugeot brand at 5.7%)
Hyundai Motor Group - 11.3 % share (Kia brand at 6.0%, Hyundai at 5.3%)
BMW Group - 11.1% share (BMW brand at 9.1%)
Tesla - 10.5% share
Mercedes Group - 10.2% share (Mercedes-Benz brand at 8.9%)

So, same BEV vs. PHEV trend Europe-wide as in Germany, not surprising given the high price of gas.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
So, same BEV vs. PHEV trend Europe-wide as in Germany, not surprising given the high price of gas.
The #1 reason is dropping PHEV subsidies

Could be a factor, I need to find subsidy data country by country to confirm that. We know that subsidizing one tech over another has a huge effect on sales, which is why the Netherlands had such a big preference for PHEVs for the first few years - they got much better subsidies than BEVs did. The reverse was true in other countries.

Now though, with gas prices in the stratosphere that's got to have a similar but greater effect in Europe as it's having here, despite the vast price difference. I saw a CBS news report a few weeks back that the average U.S. (sale, I think) price of a car with an ICE had reached $46k, but BEVs were averaging $60k. Easy to believe given Tesla's repeated price hikes this year.

^^^Yup, thanks to large state subsidies for both car buyers as well as charging installations, plus a large, well-heeled techie customer base able to afford expensive cars. Even so, peaks and valleys. Only 287 million (as of 2021) to go to replace the whole U.S. fleet if no further ICE sales were permitted from now on, assuming every PEV sold to date is still on the road (not a chance). https://www.zippia.com/advice/how-m...re 289.5 million cars,the U.S. rose by 0.91%.

GRA said:
^^^Yup, thanks to large state subsidies for both car buyers as well as charging installations, plus a large, well-heeled techie customer base able to afford expensive cars. Even so, peaks and valleys. Only 287 million (as of 2021) to go to replace the whole U.S. fleet if no further ICE sales were permitted from now on, assuming every PEV sold to date is still on the road (not a chance). https://www.zippia.com/advice/how-m...re 289.5 million cars,the U.S. rose by 0.91%.

That's a pile.

While California has large state subsidies, Washington State does not. A whole lot of EVs in Washington State, EV market share was 4.26%.

EVgo, a private company, expects their charging network to go cash positive this year, and the company to go GAAP profitable in 2024.

The "large, well-heeled techie customer base able to afford expensive cars" was buying expensive ICEs before EVs. Now largely buying EVs. That's a good change.

It will take thirty plus years for most of the ICEs to be replaced. A car is a durable asset.

OakLeaf said:
Saw this interesting graphic summarizing the stats for all EVs currently available in the US market:
They list the Nissan LEAF as one of the two most affordable EVs.
Thanks for posting, Interesting but very deceiving in many ways.
While they list lots of Teslas and even give separate lines for their long-range models, the Leaf only gets the cheapest 150 mile range model :?
Lucid, Polestar and Rivan, are they anything more than one-off models :? And several others like the Hyundai and Kia's, can I go down to my local Kia or Hyundai showroom and pick one up, or even order one :? (no I can't and I've tried).
I kind of despise articles like this that make it seem like we have lots of choices for EVs, we DON'T! sure maybe at some point but we aren't there yet and I don't care for articles insinuating we are. It looks nice but that's about it.
And yes I understand we are in a worldwide pandemic or at least a pandemic of supply chain issues but even if it weren't for that, I highly doubt the list of "Which electric vehicles do Americans have to choose from(so far?)" would be available in any numbers or even available for people to purchase in the majority of the country :(

jjeff said:
OakLeaf said:
Saw this interesting graphic summarizing the stats for all EVs currently available in the US market:
I highly doubt the list of "Which electric vehicles do Americans have to choose from(so far?)" would be available in any numbers or even available for people to purchase in the majority of the country :(

Hi jjeff,

For sure, it's a bit of an "optimistic" presentation and no disagreement on the practical side of the matter either.

When looking to replace our old 2002 Ford Escape we wanted to go electric, but at the time (late 2019 - prepandemic, so no supply chain issues then) there wasn't really any good options either other than another LEAF. Although we otherwise really like our 2012 LEAF, the issue of battery degradation with no viable replacement options meant there was no way we were going back to all electric, especially as the only fuel option in our household.

As it happened, I noticed that there was this new Kia Niro PHEV at a dealer about two hours away (the only one of three available on the east coast at the time) and took a chance to drive up and see it. Glad we did and bought it on the spot.

I realize everyone has different circumstances, needs and desires, but as far as I'm concerned (at least at this point in time), a PHEV design represents the best of all worlds and is the most pragmatic, ideal solution.

It has sufficient all-EV range to cover most daily commuting and running about town, gives excellent fuel economy for long trips as well as completely eliminating all issues with "range anxiety" and a need to find and wait for charging. The battery is kept in a more ideal state of charge for longer lifespan and even when the day comes when it goes "bad", you still have the ICE to power it and effectively not have to suffer any range issues as you would with a battery only EV.

Oh, and also very importantly, you can have all the heat you want in the wintertime without worries. :D

OakLeaf said:
I realize everyone has different circumstances, needs and desires, but as far as I'm concerned (at least at this point in time), a PHEV design represents the best of all worlds and is the most pragmatic, ideal solution.

PHEVs are the best option for some, not everyone.

If you drive long trips, mostly, then the EV range doesn't cover much of you driving, and you would likely be better off with an ICE that would be both cheaper and better fuel economy than the PHEV.

PHEVs are "Goldilocks cars". Just enough local driving to use the AER, just enough distance driving. Just right.

BEVs are just nicer, and if a BEV works for you, then that would be the best option for you.

This isn't static, BEVs will get cheaper and longer range, eventually displacing both PHEVs and ICEs.

OakLeaf said:
jjeff said:
OakLeaf said:
I highly doubt the list of "Which electric vehicles do Americans have to choose from(so far?)" would be available in any numbers or even available for people to purchase in the majority of the country :(

Hi jjeff,

For sure, it's a bit of an "optimistic" presentation and no disagreement on the practical side of the matter either.

When looking to replace our old 2002 Ford Escape we wanted to go electric, but at the time (late 2019 - prepandemic, so no supply chain issues then) there wasn't really any good options either other than another LEAF. Although we otherwise really like our 2012 LEAF, the issue of battery degradation with no viable replacement options meant there was no way we were going back to all electric, especially as the only fuel option in our household.

As it happened, I noticed that there was this new Kia Niro PHEV at a dealer about two hours away (the only one of three available on the east coast at the time) and took a chance to drive up and see it. Glad we did and bought it on the spot.

It has sufficient all-EV range to cover most daily commuting and running about town, gives excellent fuel economy for long trips as well as completely eliminating all issues with "range anxiety" and a need to find and wait for charging. The battery is kept in a more ideal state of charge for longer lifespan and even when the day comes when it goes "bad", you still have the ICE to power it and effectively not have to suffer any range issues as you would with a battery only EV.

Oh, and also very importantly, you can have all the heat you want in the wintertime without worries. :D
I agree on the PHEV, it's the main reason we've been waiting going on 1.5 years to get one :) :(
We also had(have) a 70 mile(summer, 50 winter) gen 1 Leaf purchased new as it was the only EV I could get in my state back in '13 and while it was nice, we still had(have) to keep our '07 Prius which is finally starting to get long in the tooth and having odd electrical problems. The PHEV we ordered(Rav4 Prime) was what we decided on. 40+ mile EV range for much of our town driving and 40'ish MPG for our several 500+ mile trips/year. Another advantage of the Prime is the heat pump heater so I'm hoping(never had one) it will extend our 40-mile EV range further into the winter, sub-zero temps will probably drop to 30 miles or less with the resistive heater.
We kind of looked into both Hyundai and Kia PHEVs but what really turned me away was the fact that they didn't have any source of heat on battery, turn on the heater and ICE fires off. True they are supposed to have an efficient heater that uses hot exhaust gas to help heat something up but I really wanted to be able to not only heat on EV but also preheat while in the garage, something not possible with the current PHEV Korean offerings.
Note my daughter wasn't deterred by the no EV heat and we ended up driving 2000 miles(RT) to pick up her a new Hyundai Ionic PHEV that she really loves so I do believe they make a quality vehicle, just not the best choice IMO for people who live in climates where you need to use your heater more than 6 months/year. Today is 50 and raining and it's actually warmed up from what we had last week :(
In my state insurance is quite high(probably the same everywhere) as are yearly tabs and all EVs incur a "EV" tax, which currently PHEVs do not, all +'s for limiting the number of vehicles and with the "EV" tax, a small reason to go PHEV.

I hated the fact that our PIP had no electric heat. I have bad circulation, and running with no heat just isn't an option for me (I also hated the lack of a heated steering wheel) in Winter. I finally figured out that running in EV mode with the heat on would run the ICE least frequently, but it was unpleasant for me. I would probably have been OK with a Volt, if only they they hadn't kept the stupid squashed down, cramped body from the Camaro show car that was used for the Volt concept car.

Back