Gas stations no longer on my daily radar or is it just me??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still use gasbuddy everyday and monitor the comments and news for electric related energy messages. Clearly, the price of petrol is a key factor that will drive EV adoption rate.

saywatt said:
I laugh every time I drive by the Costco station and see the long lines of those trying to save a few cents. I'll bet some of them wait as long to fill up as we Leafers will at a QC station. :lol:

BTW, You have a pretty low Leaf number for only having it 1.5 weeks. Is it used?

MrIanB said:
Got the car about a week and a half and loving it so far. One thing I have noticed is that I no longer look at the gas prices to see who has the lowest on my daily driving. It is as if they are no longer there. That is weird or is it just me??

Damn I love this car, period.

Ian B

Not at all, it was a beautiful red cayenne orphan I found at the dealer when I bought it on 1*21*12. Chili(her name) was supposed to be part of a fleet for a company in Houston but, the deal fell through and the dealer in Austin bought 15 of them. She looked so cute I had to bring her home and give her a nice productive life. She had 6 miles when I took her home. lol.

Ian B

I stop in time to time to clean my windshield. Living on a dirt road in the desert, my poor beautiful Leaf is always dusty. And for the record, I advocated $2 a gallon gas tax long before I got my car.

Love my Leaf, and my solar panels!

MrIanB said:
Not at all, it was a beautiful red cayenne orphan I found at the dealer when I bought it on 1*21*12. Chili(her name) was supposed to be part of a fleet for a company in Houston but, the deal fell through and the dealer in Austin bought 15 of them. She looked so cute I had to bring her home and give her a nice productive life. She had 6 miles when I took her home. lol.

Ian B

So you bought, what is called in the coin collector's world, an uncirculated Leaf! :D Congrats!

I've been driving gas-free since March of last year. I do not pay attention to gas prices, gas stations, etc.

There is a gas station I always pass on my way to work each morning. Seeing that station was always my reminder to check my gas gauge and see if I needed to stop for gas. Even after getting my Leaf I continued to do the same thing out of habit. For about a month I would see the gas station, then look down at my dash to try to find the gas gauge only to realize I don't have one. But now I've had my Leaf nearly a year. I can't even tell you what the price of gasoline is right now without looking it up online.

I had to buy gas a few weeks ago for my Wife's Prius. That was the first time I'd used a gas pump in a long time. It was dark outside. It was also freezing cold and the wind was blowing 30 mph. I couldn't believe what a horrible inconvenience it was. It is amazing that the general public thinks of that as normal. I bet if I came out with a cell phone that ran on gasoline so that it would potentially operate for 2 weeks at a time before refilling it, and was otherwise exactly like using a regular cell phone.. It might sound like a great idea. But if people had to go to a 3rd party every time it ran out and stand outside in the weather to fill it up again, people would say I was nuts. That is exactly how I feel about our existing paradigm of re-fueling. People only accept it because that is just how its been for so long. I think if electric cars weren't available, I would have gone for a Honda Civic CNG just for the convenience of being able to fill up at home.

I filled up the tank on my 2006 Prius a few days before I received my LEAF December 8th, and it still has >1/2 a tank. My friends are worried that it my "go bad" if I don't use it. :lol:

It's a good question but for some the answer may not work like you expect.

Every car I've bought since 2000 I've paid attention to fuel economy and tank size (both cost per mile and miles per tank). I don't like to fuel up often and I used to drive from IA to TN and back so miles per tank mattered. I wouldn't look at a gas powered vehicle that wouldn't do or nearly approach 500 miles a tank.

Once I got used to not fueling up often I kept that criteria even when I stopped driving long trips.

I got a 2001 Saturn L100 that had a 15.7 gal tank so it got over 400 miles driven normally or 500 if you babied it (only needed 33 mpg to hit 500 on 15 gal).

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius that has a 11.9 gal tank but gets easily twice the miles per gallon of the L100 I had. While I might get 700 miles on a tank it takes perfect weather as the fuel bladder shrinks in colder weather and fuel economy varies as well. Still no problem going 500+ on a long trip.

But now I don't drive out of state and my tank lasts me weeks at a time. So I don't look at gas stations on a daily or even weekly basis even though I have a gas vehicle. Even when I need gas I don't notice individual stations, I fill up at one of a couple of specific stations when I'm in that part of town.

The fact that I drive my Gen II Prius with a mindset similar to an EV (filling up on my schedule, not worrying about range no matter what) makes me comfortable making the switch to the Leaf should a used one become available for me to buy at a reasonable price. I'll likely still have a Prius for those once in a lifetime trips or situations that need more cargo room than the leaf but I don't drive long enough for range anxiety to be a factor at all. If I got 50 miles on a days charge it'd work for me.

EV, hybrid, gas, I haven't looked at gas stations on a regular basis in more than a decade.

I take Leaf to get gas for other car that we use. Reasons I do that:

I am going that direction anyway
Leaf is much cheaper to operate
Most people that want to see Leaf I met while getting gas

There are some places that I go for car-washes, and tire-air...

...Oh, I think they might have gas pumps too, but I barely notice anymore...

I hadn't thought about this, but I actually go weekly to empty the recycle container or pick up a snack at the local 7-11. However, I haven't bought gas for six months.

As long as you're getting gasoline, why not try some of our other fine life-enhancing products?

Cig_Dont_Start_300.jpg

basic.jpg

dep_3470429-Lottery-ticket.jpg

25slim.jpg

MrIanB said:
Got the car about a week and a half and loving it so far. One thing I have noticed is that I no longer look at the gas prices to see who has the lowest on my daily driving. It is as if they are no longer there. That is weird or is it just me??

Damn I love this car, period.

Ian B

I was riding my bike the other day and stopped at a gas station to rest (get a beer, some cigarettes and lotto tickets ;) ), and I watched the poor souls pull in and pump their tanks. It occurred to me that it is an very absurd idea to get in your car and go somewhere else to add energy to it!

The closest "fillin' station" to my house is 0.6 of a mile, so in my ICE, if I wanted to add fuel, it cost me at least 1.2 miles to do nothing else but get the fuel to go.

Seven months, seven thousand miles, and I love the thing ever more.

While passing by an Oil Can Henry's this afternoon, I thought about pulling in with the Leaf and telling the guy I just bought this used car and that I always get the oil changed when I buy a used car. :)

I wonder who would figure it out first— the guy up top when he can't find the car in his computer or the guy in the trench who sees that the "engine" has a cover under it? :lol:

Back