Garage wheel spinning to charge leaf in much shorter time...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanron13

Question. Can a leaf recharge, by spinning wheels, in drive while the car is stationary? i.e. 60's vintage tire spinner/balancer. Going down a 1 mile hill, yesterday, at 40m.p.h., will add 3 miles to distance guage. in 1.5 minutes. Spin the wheels to 80 m.p.h., shouldtake a whole lot less time. Therefore, a full charge can be achieved in 1 hour and 6 mins or less. Way time savings. Anybody heard of this? thanks

deanron13 said:
Question. Can a leaf recharge, by spinning wheels, in drive while the car is stationary? i.e. 60's vintage tire spinner/balancer. Going down a 1 mile hill, yesterday, at 40m.p.h., will add 3 miles to distance guage. in 1.5 minutes. Spin the wheels to 80 m.p.h., shouldtake a whole lot less time. Therefore, a full charge can be achieved in 1 hour and 6 mins or less. Way time savings. Anybody heard of this? thanks
what you are seeing on the GOM is recalculations of your range based on the power usage when coasting down the long hill, I do not believe you are getting that much if any regen

Yes and no. Yes, you COULD charge the car by spinning both front wheels, but it wouldn't be anything like as fast as the distance to empty display (aka Guess-O-Meter or GOM) is leading you to believe. The GOM is changing, both in response to charge being added to the battery, but mostly to the increased driving efficiency that going downhill provides. If you were to go downhill for a while longer, you could get the GOM to read in the mid-100s...maybe more, I'm not sure what the record is. Getting it to read 160 miles wouldn't mean your battery was at 200% of charge. :D

Anyway, the braking regen charge the battery at a max of about 30kW, although I think you'll only see that max while actually pressing the pedal. You could probably get 15-20kW of charging by running the car as you suggest. But there are a number of downsides:

1. It would be inefficient. How much, I don't know, but it would have to be pretty bad. You would be expending much more energy than you got into the battery.
2. You would be putting miles on the car, just to charge it.
3. You would be putting wear on the tires and drive train while not going anywhere.
4. It would be dangerous if the car jumped off the device for some reason.

Yes, if you had a device that could provide enough power to turn the wheels, then you could charge with it by using regen. No tire balancing motor is going to provide anywhere near the power levels required. You'd need a 40hp motor on your balancer to do it, and that would require 150 amps of power at 240V. Just not feasible.

You'd be better off towing it with another car.

-Phil

Smidge204 said:
Flywheels. Massive, massive flywheels...

=Smidge=

I'm working on my own biofuel-to-LEAF-through-the-wheels fast-charger.

I bought a breeding pair of hamsters, and project my herd will reach the required 5,000 by next winter.

Once I get their 5,000 individual wheels connected to my tire spinner, I will be ready to charge...

edatoakrun said:
Once I get their 5,000 individual wheels connected to my tire spinner, I will be ready to charge...
No problem. I am writing up my patent application for an innovative invention which can combine 5,000 independent power inputs running at varying speeds and even allow rest periods. The only equipment needed is 2,500 discarded Prius Synergy Drives together with their generators, and one electric motor.

Ray

smkettner said:
deanron13 said:
Anybody heard of this? thanks
Yes there have been several threads over the last two years.
We are still waiting for implementation.... let us know how that works out.

Why can't we just concentrate on direct charging instead of using invertors/generators and motors?
If you have enough power and willing to deal with hassle of somehow spinning the wheels of the car in garage on regular basis, why not to construct an "upgraded" EVSE that will do something like sucking all of your 200Amp service and quick charging your Leaf via L3 in 30 minutes?
Transformer to bump up the voltage will be comparable in size/complexity of handling with electric motor to spin the wheel(s)...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/5Sujv90PLLY[/youtube]

Funny vid. I see two main points to take away:

1. You get a boost in your estimated range from the Guess-O-Meter recalculating as you coast/charge.
2. You do get recharged while the wheels are turned BUT the range is overestimated due to point 1.

This has been hashed out before. Can we drop the tire spinners, huge solar panels on the car and all that silly stuff! Now please buy hood mounted wind generators for the roof of the LEAF. These units will recapture all the wind generated that flows over the hood of the LEAF.

edatoakrun said:
Smidge204 said:
Flywheels. Massive, massive flywheels...

=Smidge=

I'm working on my own biofuel-to-LEAF-through-the-wheels fast-charger.

I bought a breeding pair of hamsters, and project my herd will reach the required 5,000 by next winter.

But...what are you going to do with all that hamster poop?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Charging Quickly Options:

1. Use Regen - Drag the car, etc.

2. Add more AC charging capability to the car - being worked on.

3. Some of us are working on a home/portable FFC (Fairly Fast Charger),
and we have 3D printed a first version of a plug (the "Jolomo" rev 0) to insert
into the Chademo socket on the LEAF, to be able to do some experiments.

I am trying to machine some pins for the plug, but the smaller signal pins
are more difficult.

We are not yet ready to release any significant information, but we will
most likely begin initial tests of some interface firmware within a week.

garygid said:
3. Some of us are working on a home/portable FFC (Fairly Fast Charger),
and we have 3D printed a first version of a plug (the "Jolomo" rev 0) to insert
into the Chademo socket on the LEAF, to be able to do some experiments.

I am trying to machine some pins for the plug, but the smaller signal pins
are more difficult.

We are not yet ready to release any significant information, but we will
most likely begin initial tests of some interface firmware within a week.

A solution like this, which would be reasonably priced (i.e. lower than the "semi"-mobile chademo chargers that are commercially available), would be awesome! At what power would the FFC charge?

Back