Future LEAF to offer choice of battery size

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNAinaGoodWay

From PlugInCars.com:

http://www.plugincars.com/exclusive-nissan-considers-multiple-battery-size-options-leaf-electric-cars-128922.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lacking detail, but interesting.

Everybody wants more range, but at what price?

In the short run, a bigger pack is the only option.

Improved energy density doesn't seem imminent.

So for now, I'd still prefer more QC, simply because the technology already exists, it just needs more installs.

But if the larger pack range becomes affordable, I'll happily go for that.

This would be great, since there are really two kinds of use for a Leaf. Some people have a second ICE car, so range of their Leaf isn't really that important. Why pay for it? But some people only have one car. For those people an extra $100 a month may be worth twice the range.

It would also enable much faster (in terms of range added per minute) quick charging. 2C would be just about at the 100KW max for Chademo, not that any quick chargers support that now. You could at least suck down the full 60KW from Blink chargers.

Wow.... talk about bittersweet. Optional larger pack sizes - Yes! Using same batteries after redesign - Sigh...
I've been hoping for some sort of magical, secret improved chemistery that would give us a 30% smaller battery with 30% more range for 30% less cost.

But I will definitely take a larger pack option!

jhm614 said:
But I will definitely take a larger pack option!
I think most would. But I wouldn't expect to see this until the '15 model year rolls out. I would love to see this in conjuction with the "hot" battery.

You can bet that the larger pack would be the top seller - but will Nissan make it available across all grades? Will it be possible to upgrade the pack later?

smkettner said:
Should be 150 to 170 epa range IMO.

Nissan has a bit of incentive to shoot for a 140 epa range. Translating to 200 City range, enough to earn an extra ZEV credit. (If CARB-ZEV uses the city tests as their benchmark, as I think they do). I'm skeptical of this being achieved with the current platform, though.

The sooner they offer a choice in battery size the better.

As far as being meaningless, I am not so sure. The fact that a Nissan VP is talking about this in public, says that it is going to happen. The big question now is how soon it will happen.

For right now I have no plans to upgrade to a newer model year LEAF. However as soon as they offer a car with a larger battery pack, I will be pricing a trade in.

It will be like Tesla all over. Almost everyone will want the largest size available. The small capacity version will mostly be used for advertising purposes: "Priced from $X". We used to have a joke about that, it usually means "far from" !!

pkulak said:
This would be great, since there are really two kinds of use for a Leaf. Some people have a second ICE car, so range of their Leaf isn't really that important. Why pay for it? But some people only have one car. For those people an extra $100 a month may be worth twice the range.

Would also mean you could have two LEAFs, a short range and a long range.

I don't think it would be like Tesla all over again. You have to remember the starting price of the Tesla already put it into a market where the buyers have extra disposable income and aren't going to skimp when it comes to range.

With the base Leaf's much lower, near-entry level price after incentives, there is considerable potential for people opting for the lower price tag if the 75 mile range will work for them. And this needs to be a core market approach if we are ever going to see ev's supplant ICE for a significant portion of the commuter market.

If Nissan is serious about changing the way people drive, having different battery options to broaden the appeal is the way to go. Otherwise, ev's will remain a niche enjoyed by only a small, elite customer base. While Tesla has made a splash, their target market isn't large enough to really have an environmental impact.

Maybe they should use that area under the rear cargo area that someone mounted a spare in to put in an add on (drop away in a crash) supplemental pack to get that range up to that of a 30 or 32 kWh pack from the 24 with 22 useable we have now... even 28 might be enough for some of us... and if they make the option available as an add on to cars that have lost range it could solve that issue too. To carry used buyers over until the whole pack was shot enough to warrant replacement.

A few less charges on the big trips of a 150 to 200 miles would be awesome if reasonably priced.

Or optionally a lightweight bicycle style spare in that space with a small hydraulic bottle jack where the can of goo is now would also be great for the folks that don't join AAA for their towing. We all get the 3 years roadside to begin with...

I suppose it depends on how much the option costs. If the cost to upgrade from 24kwh to 40kwh is $5k or less, selling a 24kwh model will be like trying to sell a car in FL without AC... if for no other reason, the bigger battery means you still have good range even as the car ages and you lose some capacity.

Great idea if the 2011 Leaf can get this upgrade under 5 grand, I would go with it, this would give me over 10 years of use and allow me to drive the leaf at speeds of 75 MPH.

Besides that the Model E is still my option in 2016.

Fred

I wouldn't hold your breath for the Model E. While they have an excellent product, it sounds like Tesla also has an excellent track record for delivering new models late. And there is still the Model X that has to come first.

I suspect they will eventually stay as a niche, high-end brand but collect a lot of revenue from providing tech to lower-end products, e.g., the Smart ev.

Typically when a company wants to play in both the entry-level market and the high-end market, they do so under different brands that they own. In fact, off hand, I can't think of a significant car company that hasn't used the multiple brand approach for targeting the different market levels. Not saying it can't be done, just not likely.

I suppose they could launch another brand - perhaps called the Gauss, Newton, or Pasteur?

Note to Tesla if you are reading this - If you don't already have these names trademarked, better make me an offer. :mrgreen: -jk

DarthPuppy said:
I wouldn't hold your breath for the Model E. While they have an excellent product, it sounds like Tesla also has an excellent track record for delivering new models late. And there is still the Model X that has to come first.

I suspect they will eventually stay as a niche, high-end brand but collect a lot of revenue from providing tech to lower-end products, e.g., the Smart ev.

Indeed. I can't see Tesla ever producing anything under their brand name that would cost less than a Chevy Volt.

adric22 said:
DarthPuppy said:

Indeed. I can't see Tesla ever producing anything under their brand name that would cost less than a Chevy Volt.

Well, here's a piece that suggests Tesla will make a pick-up after the X and E:

http://www.plugincars.com/tesla-considers-electric-pick-truck-128882.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"It’s possible to interpret Musk’s mentioning of a Tesla pick-up in a number of ways. First, it’s clear that he wants to eventually offer an entire line of Tesla models—presumably from a subcompact city car to full-size SUV. Who knows? Maybe a Tesla minivan will one day hit the market. "

I agree that they are slow to market, but I can't wait to see what they bring in years to come.

Assuming it is using the same battery technology, a larger pack is only worth it if you are going to use it on a regular basis. Otherwise it will add weight which needs to be moved around without any real benefit.

If you are running around town between chargepoints you really don't need it. However, if you have a longer commute of 50 to 60 miles cruising on the highway at constant speed, an extra 4 to 6 KW in the trunk area would be a really nice option even some weight penalty.

Back