Fuel Efficient Vehicle Parking Space defiled by a Volvo SUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ericsf said:
I couldn't care less that ICE park on "Fuel efficient" reserved parking. However I'd be really POed if I need to use an EVSE which is ICEd. Let's fight the right battles.
+1

Bill

Not related to EVs, but... there is a movement against illegal parking in Moscow where they put a large sticker on windshields and confront drivers. Sticker says "I don't give a **** about anyone, I can park anywhere":

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9l-bklRjkg[/youtube]

More laughs on youtube:
http://tinyurl.com/75kaunt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ericsf said:
That's exactly why I think those "perks" are not doing us EV drivers any good. Just serves to escalate the rivalry between tree hungers and gas guzzlers. I couldn't care less that ICE park on "Fuel efficient" reserved parking. However I'd be really POed if I need to use an EVSE which is ICEd. Let's fight the right battles.
I agree. When the SUV driver pulls into a parking lot he/she wants the closest spot. I don't really mind walking a few extra feet myself. I always park my car in the spot that is least likely to get a door-ding.

The main difference between this scenario and an EV charging spot is that the "fuel efficient" spots are designed to reward drivers with a close parking spot. The EVSE is to reward drivers with the ability to charge up their car. Both are considered perks, but the SUV driver doesn't care about the EVSE but they do care about the close parking spot. So the best way to win this battle is to put the charging locations in less desirable parking spots.

My library has two EVSE spots, and I went there and there was an SUV in one of them. The other was not being used, so I was able to plug in. I was tempted to leave a note on his windshield, but this being arizona where everyone owns a gun and thinks there is a constitutional requirement that they use it from time to time, I let it pass.

This is going to be a real problem for EVSE installations. It probably makes sense to put them close to the building in many cases, although a friend of mine is an electrical contractor for malls in the area and said there's conduit running all over under the parking lots on account of the light poles.

I was thinking the other night coming home on the sawgrass, there are light poles every few hundred feet. It would be cool to put emergency EVSE stations on those poles.

In this case it simply a perk of a closer parking space and wasn't as big a deal as if I had needed an EVSE that could only reach that spot.

It mostly just bugged me that the driver just ignored the sign that he obviously did not qualify for by being a hybrid, electric or diesel vehicle.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Eight people riding in a Tahoe is more fuel efficient than a Prius with a single driver. Where is the criteria for fuel efficiency defined?

Exactly! Using signage which only states "fuel efficient" leaves everything in the subjective minds of the driver. My Porsche 928 is more fuel efficient than my Nissan Pathfinder .. 14 mpg versus 16 mpg ... personally I think they need to make and post different signs.

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Eight people riding in a Tahoe is more fuel efficient than a Prius with a single driver. Where is the criteria for fuel efficiency defined?
Exactly! Using signage which only states "fuel efficient" leaves everything in the subjective minds of the driver. My Porsche 928 is more fuel efficient than my Nissan Pathfinder .. 14 mpg versus 16 mpg ... personally I think they need to make and post different signs.
Nothing subjective about it. The OP said the sign said Electric, Hybrid, Diesel. Sounds clear to me.

Bill

ebill3 said:
CWO4Mann said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Nothing subjective about it. The OP said the sign said Electric, Hybrid, Diesel. Sounds clear to me.

Bill

The electric, etc. must have been in the fine print on that photo... Begging your pardon. On the other hand, maybe the driver had a particular physical or mental condition which prevented him/her/it from reading a sign in English -- Probably don't need to read or write English to drive a car in most places in teh USA, these days. Anyway, I will light a candle to Saint Jude, the Patron Saint of the Impossible, next time I am inside a Catholic Church.

Dave

Back