FRONTLINE Video - Climate of Doubt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENIAC

FRONTLINE broadcast from 10/23/2012.
Four years ago, climate change was a hot issue and politicians from both sides seemed poised to act. Today public opinion on the climate issue has cooled considerably. Politicians either ignore it or proclaim their skepticism. What’s behind this massive reversal? FRONTLINE goes inside the organizations that fought the scientific establishment to shift the direction of the climate debate.
http://video.pbs.org/video/2295533310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I knew watching this video would be an exercise in frustration. I don't know why I don't listen to myself and not bother.
Frustration, because the climate scientists I know, are done with this topic: "Is climate change, due to man-made emissions, real?"
They've moved on, even if the media is fixated on the process of obfuscation by preening dipsticks, as this Frontline piece clearly is.
Climate scientists are truly concerned/worried/alarmed at the pace of change they observe because they don't have the data yet for an accurate model of what happens next. They're alarmed at what the physics indicates is happening on a planetary scale, due to human activity, not whether it means a change in the ratio of capitalism / government,
I suppose it's a worthwhile study in politics but just underscores how stupid and fearful Americans are in general. We fear. We were not always this way.
I wish I hadn't watched this. I almost forgot how much energy/treasure/lives my kids will have to expend fixing the mess accelerated by the greed and stupidity of a few wealthy old farts who won't be alive to sit in the debris they helped create.
Not sure if some jazz and a glass of 16-yr old Scotch will fix this mood. But it's worth shot.

sparky said:
I knew watching this video would be an exercise in frustration. I don't know why I don't listen to myself and not bother.
Frustration, because the climate scientists I know, are done with this topic: "Is climate change, due to man-made emissions, real?"
They've moved on, even if the media is fixated on the process of obfuscation by preening dipsticks, as this Frontline piece clearly is.
Climate scientists are truly concerned/worried/alarmed at the pace of change they observe because they don't have the data yet for an accurate model of what happens next. They're alarmed at what the physics indicates is happening on a planetary scale, due to human activity, not whether it means a change in the ratio of capitalism / government,
I suppose it's a worthwhile study in politics but just underscores how stupid and fearful Americans are in general. We fear. We were not always this way.
I wish I hadn't watched this. I almost forgot how much energy/treasure/lives my kids will have to expend fixing the mess accelerated by the greed and stupidity of a few wealthy old farts who won't be alive to sit in the debris they helped create.

I can only think of the wonderful British term Wankers
I would love to have a few of them cooped up in NYC apt
On the lower east side with mo heat no water no lights
For next few days

Subways are toasted

These Wankers won't be happy till we melt the arctic
Toast the snowpacks and flood Florida
They will never admit they were wrong
They are like big tobacco ignoring what is what is in front of their face

Well said
Do not waste your time on this

Not sure if some jazz and a glass of 16-yr old Scotch will fix this mood. But it's worth shot.

I almost forgot how much energy/treasure/lives my kids will have to expend fixing the mess accelerated by the greed and stupidity of a few wealthy old farts who won't be alive to sit in the debris they helped create.

+1 Well said..

I think the point is to learn and understand the tactics of the adversaries. Essentially the battle was over, cap and trade was sailing through the congress. Then the tactics of well funded front groups derailed it completely. Climate change wasn't even mentioned in this election cycle. It's truly astonishing.

Back