Front leg room question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvchris

I'm 60 miles from a Nissan dealer that carries the '15 Leaf. On Friday, I visited that dealership, with a big concern being driver's seat legroom in a Leaf. From reading, I expected to find that with the seat back, the front legroom would be similar to that in my '07 Versa. When I got in, I was cramped; right knee was basically right up against the dash, with no room to stretch.

I drove a '15 Volt yesterday, and though the seat is very "surrounding", I was able to slide the seat back further than I'd even want it. Lots of leg room. Yet the specs show Leaf front legroom at 42.1", while Volt is at 42.05".

As I was trying to make sense of that, it hit me that as I checked out the Leaf after the test drive, I had tried to raise the rear seats, which were folded down to provide more cargo room, and couldn't because the rear headrest was so far forward that it wouldn't clear the front seat as I tried to raise it. Then it hit me that maybe I'd been ... well... stupid. Could it be that the front seat could have gone back much further if only the rear seats would have been raised or the rear headrests would have been removed?

I'll need to make a trip back to the dealership to confirm, but if a current owner could comment on this, I'd really appreciate it. Will the front driver's seat go back further with the rear seat up? Thanks for any insight. From a functional standpoint, either vehicle should suit our needs well, so the decision will likely come down to price and answers to seemingly less complicated issues like this.

Chris
Sedalia, MO

I don't know about 2015, but 2011 front seat travel is restricted unless rear headrests are removed before folding seats. In my case, the rear seats cannot be folded flat without removing the headrests when I have the front seats in their normal position.

Gerry

I always have the driver's seat all the way back in any car I drive, due to long legs. The LEAF has pretty good leg room so I think that your hypothesis, that you didn't get the seat all the way back during your test drive, makes sense.

GerryAZ, dgpcolorado: Thanks for the feedback. This definitely keeps the Leaf in the game; despite the fact that my local Nissan dealer (who doesn't carry the Leaf and doesn't plan to) badmouths it each time I bring the topic up.

I've also seen the discussions about the extendmyseat.com, but I'd rather not make mods like that... wonder about their effect on things like the performance of the airbags.

dvchris said:
...I've also seen the discussions about the extendmyseat.com, but I'd rather not make mods like that... wonder about their effect on things like the performance of the airbags.
If I had the seat any farther back it would be awkward to reach the steering wheel, which doesn't telescope — it would be nice if it did. Of course those with even longer legs also likely have longer arms.

I find the LEAF comfortable to sit in and drive. If you can fit in a Volt, you can surely fit in a LEAF, which is more spacious in every way.

I'm 6'3" and I have plenty of leg room in my '14 and '15 Leafs. I don't even have the seat pushed all the way back.

Likewise...I am 6 feet 3 inches and do not need to put the seat all the way back. 2011 LEAF. Headroom and leg room as driver or front seat passenger are fine.

Kataphn said:
Likewise...I am 6 feet 3 inches and do not need to put the seat all the way back. 2011 LEAF. Headroom and leg room as driver or front seat passenger are fine.

At this point, it seems pretty clear that I was just being dense. I guess there were just so many new gadgets to consider that I had sensory overload. You'd think the salesman might have figured it out, too. I guess my first call tomorrow will be to the salesman to discuss this. There's no way that a 6'3" person (like me) would have sat in the seat I sat in and described it as either roomy or being too far back.

I'm 5'9" and keep the seat all the way back. No knee issues, and I still feel sufficiently connected to the steering wheel and pedals. I find the LEAF very comfortable, front and back. If I were any taller, I probably would have knee room issues.

I'm 6'5" and one of the primary reasons I chose my 2011 LEAF over the Volt was the front and rear head- and legroom. I'll be the first to admit that rear-seat legroom is tight if you have the front seats even close to all the way back, but headroom is great and front-seat headroom is fantastic. Front-seat legroom, while not stellar, is certainly not an issue as long as the seats are all the way back.

And to your question, yes, my 2011 can't have the front seats all the way back if the rear seats are down with the headrests attached.

Definitely go back and try it again, making sure that the rear seats are out of the way. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Semi-off-topic: I really wanted to buy a Telsa Model S (and have the cash ready), but inadequate head and legroom (especially in the rear seats) forced it off of my short list. Darn! :x

kubel said:
I'm 5'9" and keep the seat all the way back. No knee issues, and I still feel sufficiently connected to the steering wheel and pedals. I find the LEAF very comfortable, front and back. If I were any taller, I probably would have knee room issues.

The plot thickens.

kubel said:
I'm 5'9" and keep the seat all the way back. /snip/ If I were any taller, I probably would have knee room issues.

Interesting difference of opinion on this topic. Some say the Leaf has more legroom than the Volt. But the reason I continue to pursue this topic is the printed specs. The Leaf claims slightly more legroom than both the Volt and my 07 Versa. Something's for to give!

Speaking of my Versa, I was on my way to make the 135 mile round trip tonight to revisit the front legroom issue at Machens in Columbia when the "ServiceEngine Soon" light lit on my 07 Versa. I was just 12 miles out of town, so decided not to risk it and turned back. First issue I've run into in the couple of years I've had it. Called the dealership to say I wouldn't be there tonight after all, and they offered to deliver a Leaf to me in the morning to test it out for a few days and see if it would work for me. Excellent! (It will be interesting to see if it makes the 67 mile trip, including interstate, successfully.)

I have a 2011 LEAf and purchased brackets from ExtendMySeat (http://extendmyseat.com/brands/Nissan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that gives me several additional inches of legroom and makes the LEAF one of the most comfortable cars I have driven. It looks like they are also available for the current model. You basically bolt the brackets in where the seat currently bolts and then bolt the seat a few inches further back into the bracket. Easy to do and easy to remove later. I don't expect any negative impact from a safety perspective.

I also have a 2013 Volt, and while it is tolerable, I do wish similar brackets were available for it. I'm 6' 5".

Cinnabar said:
I have a 2011 LEAf and purchased brackets from ExtendMySeat (http://extendmyseat.com/brands/Nissan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that gives me several additional inches of legroom and makes the LEAF one of the most comfortable cars I have driven. It looks like they are also available for the current model. You basically bolt the brackets in where the seat currently bolts and then bolt the seat a few inches further back into the bracket. Easy to do and easy to remove later. I don't expect any negative impact from a safety perspective.

I also have a 2013 Volt, and while it is tolerable, I do wish similar brackets were available for it. I'm 6' 5".

I'm 6'4" and I also invested on the brackets for my 2011 Leaf that I bought used on Jan 2013. It is the only modification I have made to the car. I only needed an extra "click" or 2 to make it perfect. The brackets are awesome and were money well spent!

dvchris said:
...and they offered to deliver a Leaf to me in the morning to test it out for a few days and see if it would work for me. Excellent! (It will be interesting to see if it makes the 67 mile trip, including interstate, successfully.)

Well, I texted the sales rep to see what time they were delivering it. At 11am yesterday, he answered that they had just left. I told him my concern that they wouldn't make it. It would normally be a 75 minute trip door-to-door. Two hours later_ a follow-up text: "Well, brother (not his brother, but okay), they didn't make it." Hmm... Not surprising considering the fact that I'd already told them that if I bought, they would need to deliver it, since I didn't expect to be able to drive it that distance at interstate speeds. Today it is to arrive on a flat-bed.

GerryAZ said:
I don't know about 2015, but 2011 front seat travel is restricted unless rear headrests are removed before folding seats. In my case, the rear seats cannot be folded flat without removing the headrests when I have the front seats in their normal position. 1st thing I did back in March of 2011 was to toss the rear headrests. Viola !! I could now see out the back, as well as get my 6'-5" carcass more comfortable in the drivers seat.

dvchris said:
dvchris said:
...and they offered to deliver a Leaf to me in the morning to test it out for a few days and see if it would work for me. Excellent! (It will be interesting to see if it makes the 67 mile trip, including interstate, successfully.)

Well, I texted the sales rep to see what time they were delivering it. At 11am yesterday, he answered that they had just left. I told him my concern that they wouldn't make it. It would normally be a 75 minute trip door-to-door. Two hours later_ a follow-up text: "Well, brother (not his brother, but okay), they didn't make it." Hmm... Not surprising considering the fact that I'd already told them that if I bought, they would need to deliver it, since I didn't expect to be able to drive it that distance at interstate speeds. Today it is to arrive on a flat-bed.

I definitely get more than 67 miles on a full charge for a new Leaf, even on interstate speeds. Just drive 55 or 60 and don't use climate control if you're nervous about the range.

dvchris said:
... I told him my concern that they wouldn't make it. It would normally be a 75 minute trip door-to-door. Two hours later_ a follow-up text: "Well, brother (not his brother, but okay), they didn't make it." Hmm... Not surprising considering the fact that I'd already told them that if I bought, they would need to deliver it, since I didn't expect to be able to drive it that distance at interstate speeds. Today it is to arrive on a flat-bed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is pretty useless if you ignore it :lol:

Back