From smart EV to Leaf SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arvind

From San Jose, CA. Just bought a loaded Leaf SV, after salivating for a smart ED for months. What made me change was 1. smart was late (now expected May 15) 2. The size of my household (5 adults incl. 3 seniors) -- the Leaf is more practical. 3. Leaf 2013 price reduction 4. dealer discount. Had a good experience at Boardwalk Auto, Redwood City.

For Bay Area folks, ChargePoint is still giving $700 rebate off their $900 EVSE CT500:

http://www.chargepoint.com/baaqmd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arvind said:
From San Jose, CA. Just bought a loaded Leaf SV, after salivating for a smart ED for months. What made me change was 1. smart was late (now expected May 15) 2. The size of my household (5 adults incl. 3 seniors) -- the Leaf is more practical. 3. Leaf 2013 price reduction 4. dealer discount. Had a good experience at Boardwalk Auto, Redwood City.

For Bay Area folks, ChargePoint is still giving $700 rebate off their $900 EVSE CT500:

http://www.chargepoint.com/baaqmd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think your choice to get the LEAF was a wise one

Well, for 1 person commuting to work, a 5-seat hatchback is more car than one needs. Plus the smart costs less and looks cute too. Lately smaller cars like Fit and Yaris have been displacing the SUVs from Bay Area roads, and that's a good thing. Learning to love the Leaf, but hope smart ED succeeds.

Just bought a 2013 Smart Electric for $23000 all-in, and yes, I have to wait for delivery.
I looked at the Leaf, but here in Canada, the discounts are just not there, I couldn't find one for less than $33000 all-in.

Arvind said:
newownermnl

Great info, thanks for mentioning that. We had one of the program coordinators, Karen Schkolnick, at our local meet-up and many drivers did not know about this program. She said that it's also retroactive, and if you purchased an EV and wanted to get a ChargePoint or AeroVironment station, the rebate will apply.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110202/ARTICLES/110209892/1350?Title=Charging-stations-for-electric-cars-get-a-power-boost" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think your decision to go with the LEAF was a wise one. I test drove the smart ED on Sunday, and although I'm familiar with it from Germany and like it, the LEAF is a more competent mode of transportation. I would get a smart for my commute and various errands, much like I would get a Twizy if I lived in Europe. That said, I think Daimler might need to stimulate demand in the mid-term, much like Toyota had to with the RAV4. Nissan was not immune to making adjustments in price either. Anyway, congrats on your LEAF, please keep us posted about your experience with it. Hopefully, we will see you at one of the local owner meetups in the future.

The ecotality funds have been spent. My understanding is that chargepoint's rebate of $700 applies to its own CT500 hardware worth $900. The rebate comes back over 3 years, and one has to agree to share usage data.

SuperBlack said:
Good choice. Smart cars are dumb.
They aren't that great for USA but for Europe they are great with the smaller parking and smaller streets. When I was in Budapest for 5 months I saw lots of reasons for Smart cars and Smart EV would be even better.

SmartElectric said:
Just bought a 2013 Smart Electric for $23000 all-in, and yes, I have to wait for delivery.
I looked at the Leaf, but here in Canada, the discounts are just not there, I couldn't find one for less than $33000 all-in.

I just bought my Leaf last week...

Nissan Canada has had an $8500 rebate for The past 2 months, plus the provincial rebate. $16500 off.

I got the last SL with a quick charge Nissan Canada had left.

I leased my Leaf last night.

Smart did all the work to sell me on an electric car. I went to their test drive event May 4th and would have leased one that day if they had any available. When May 10th passed without a word from the dealership I started looking around. Now I'm very glad I did.

I'm paying slightly over half what the quote was on the Smart with the same money down. I have a greater range, more power, and a car with a few revisions already under it's belt.

I also have a back seat and two extra doors. These are useless features in my commuter car but since they're not hurting anything I'll live with them.

Foible said:

Smart did all the work to sell me on an electric car. I went to their test drive event May 4th and would have leased one that day if they had any available. When May 10th passed without a word from the dealership I started looking around. Now I'm very glad I did.

I'm paying slightly over half what the quote was on the Smart with the same money down. I have a greater range, more power, and a car with a few revisions already under it's belt.

I also have a back seat and two extra doors. These are useless features in my commuter car but since they're not hurting anything I'll live with them.
I think you made a good choice, IMHO for the money the leaf is a better vehicle.

apvbguy said:
Foible said:

I think you made a good choice, IMHO for the money the leaf is a better vehicle.

Yes, yesterday was supposed to be the 'new' revised release date but have yet (other than in Canada where the smart Ed is already for sale) to see any U.S. based 'new' owners of the Gen III announce themselves along with photos, etc. For us, we already own a LEAF but would be directly replacing our '08 smart ICE so that's what we have room in the garage for ... maybe, just maybe a bit more if the Fiat 500e was available but we've got tandem garage space for a smart and Miata back to back plus a little bit walking space in between --- the 500e (so far) is also a CA compliance car so may never see it in the Midwest anyway. If you have room for it, going electric with a LEAF is also what a few prospective smart Ed owners did on the smart USA forum, the battery cooling and unique approach to battery rental may or may not be enough when cross shopping between these two --- of course if you want an EV cabrio its the only choice (unless you opt for a used Tesla roadster if you can find one)

Have been driving the Smart ICE for 2 1/2 years and love it...though frustrated that I cannot get the Smart diesel in the US. Added a '13 Leaf SL last month. And love having more room for carrying grandkids, etc. scheduled for a Smart EV test drive in a couple if weeks... for fun. Anxious to see how it performs. Absolutely loving the Leaf. My Siemens home charger should be here this week. Anxious to get it installed to make charging easier

Back