Free EV Charging, but............

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebill3

Homeless man Darren Kersey, 28, was jailed overnight in November in Sarasota, Fla., after being busted for charging his cellphone at an outlet at a public picnic shelter in the city's Gillespie Park. The police report noted that "(T)heft of city utilities will not be tolerated ...." However, for owners of electric cars (less likely to be homeless!), the city runs several absolutely free charging stations, including one at city hall. The American Civil Liberties Union has accused the city for years of being aggressively inhospitable toward the city's homeless. (Kersey was released the next day when a judge ruled the arrest improper.) [Sarasota Herald Tribune, 11-12-2012] :eek:

Yesterday I grabbed breakfast at a local bagel/coffee shop. I noted a girl who was using her iPhone while it was plugged into the outlet that was just under her table (while she did eat the food, as she was a patron of the establishment). Still it made me wonder about how this might work in the future. Companies offering free charging for EVs, but only to those who shop there. Or better yet, you shop at the mall and get a voucher that discounts your parking fees, or in our case, lessens your charge costs (or erases them entirely) ... haha!

Back