FOX - Nissan CEO: An Electric Car Revolution is Happening

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydnas7

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2117135666001/nissan-ceo-an-electric-car-revolution-is-happening/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...lower prices and more infrastructure...

Well, at least he set the record straight that they aren't getting out of the EV business.

I wonder about these hybrids though.. I wonder how many of these hybrids will be plug-in hybrids?

Nissan's hybrid philosophy seems to be that the hybrid is a transmission option.

Mostly every Nissan/Infiniti with a 2.4 (I4) to 3.6 (V6) is a candidate for hybridization http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/NEWS/2011/111013E.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would expect Nissan/Infiniti to focus on a 2.0litre turbo hybrid due to Chinese engine size laws.

for Altima, the roadmap is
2013 is the new Altima (with CVT8)
2014 the Altima gets HEV (with CVT8 hybrid)
2015 the Altima gets PHEV (along with HEV)

even Nissan's RWD hybrid was a contemporary of the LEAF, a further primer for hybrid operation http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HONSHI/20101228/188430/?P=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look at the copyright date at AESC http://www.eco-aesc-lb.com/en/product.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice to see this on Fox. Maybe I was too harsh on them in the other thread... OTOH, the paranoid schizophrenic in me wonders if they were baiting Ghosn to make the claim that an EV would be more reliable during disasters - certainly handed him the line more than once. Thankfully, Mr. Ghosn didn't bite.

ydnas7 said:
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2117135666001/nissan-ceo-an-electric-car-revolution-is-happening/

...lower prices and more infrastructure...
Thanks for the link! Davos looks beautiful! Makes me want to go skiing!
adric22 said:
I wonder about these hybrids though.. I wonder how many of these hybrids will be plug-in hybrids?
I think part of the push for hybrids at Nissan has to do with their electric vehicle push. Their investment in battery manufacturing capacity has been massive and if they can only apply that to the LEAF, they have trouble paying back that investment. If they can apply that investment to many more products by producing both EV and hybrid batteries in their factories they can likely make the LEAF just another vehicle on their lines, close to all their other cars.
TickTock said:
Nice to see this on Fox. Maybe I was too harsh on them in the other thread... OTOH, the paranoid schizophrenic in me wonders if they were baiting Ghosn to make the claim that an EV would be more reliable during disasters - certainly handed him the line more than once. Thankfully, Mr. Ghosn didn't bite.
Yeah, that was a dumb observation on the part of Fox. Many people seem to think that the ONLY thing that will make EVs successful is some sort of emergency. Mr. Ghosn properly pointed out that those things only affect the TIMING, not the fact that it will happen.

RegGuheert said:
I think part of the push for hybrids at Nissan has to do with their electric vehicle push. Their investment in battery manufacturing capacity has been massive and if they can only apply that to the LEAF, they have trouble paying back that investment. If they can apply that investment to many more products by producing both EV and hybrid batteries in their factories they can likely make the LEAF just another vehicle on their lines, close to all their other cars.
It is very good for consumer that Nissan wants part of basically Toyota pie. I am not sure how many Leaf Nissan will produce in US, but it appears that there is enough battery manufacturing capacity in US for electrification of other Nissan cars

It sounded to me like he was really more interested in China and developing countries than the US. Which makes since probably as a global car company. The Leaf's success or failure in the USA doesn't specifically affect the Leaf over the rest of the world.

adric22 said:
It sounded to me like he was really more interested in China and developing countries than the US. Which makes since probably as a global car company. The Leaf's success or failure in the USA doesn't specifically affect the Leaf over the rest of the world.
Leaf is selling very good in Norway and Estonia, countries with huge perks and good charging infrastructure, it can be better in rest of the Europe. Gas price about $8-9 a gallon there, but electricity is also more expensive.

EdmondLeaf said:
RegGuheert said:
It is very good for consumer that Nissan wants part of basically Toyota pie. I am not sure how many Leaf Nissan will produce in US, but it appears that there is enough battery manufacturing capacity in US for electrification of other Nissan cars

In turn, this should drive more money into battery R&D, and allow for higher volumes of batteries (lowering the effective price of each). The resulting improvements will directly benefit the Leaf as well, more so than any hybrids.

adric22 said:
It sounded to me like he was really more interested in China and developing countries than the US.
Really? I didn't get that from this piece. He talked about costs coming down as being due to new production in the U.S. and that being normal for new technologies. Note that their investments in EVs have been in the U.S. and the U.K., not in China (unless I have missed something).

I think Ghosn sees EVs as his way to beat Toyota and GM. He feels he has everything in place and he is waiting for the revolution to continue to move in his direction. My impression is that their production lines are quite flexible and can rather quickly ramp any particular vehicle's production rate up or down as they see fit. That gives the LEAF a little more leeway than if it were produced on a dedicated line. (The batteries are another story right now.) Time will tell how this all plays out.

RegGuheert said:
(The batteries are another story right now.) Time will tell how this all plays out.
If Nissan will continue to lease at rates that we see now, we may see huge increase in Leaf sold in 2013. Nissan’s UK Sunderland battery plant is now operational and capable to produce 60K. Ghosn suggestible further price drop which may tip speed of revolution and there will be no problem with battery overcapacity .

EdmondLeaf said:
If Nissan will continue to lease at rates that we see now, we may see huge increase in Leaf sold in 2013.
Agreed. The 2013 price looks good. If they can get a decent EPA range, then the sales could really start to happen. They have three plants on three corners of the planet which could produce any foreseeable quantity needed in the next few years.

Nubo said:
"Skate to where the puck is going, not to where it has been".

+1! Ghosn clearly explained that his prime concern (reflected in the market) is fuel efficiency. If anything, he sounded like their cars that are not an EV or (planned to become) Hybrid were headed for the happy hunting ground.

Back