For Sale: Panasonic EVSE from Prius/Rav4 EV 120/240v 12amp

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QueenBee said:
AlexG said:
Doing the $300 conversion will give you the 6.8Kw charge, if you bought the upgrade, which I did not, so the 3Kw charge rate is fine for me.
Note that is 4.8KW draw (240 volts at 20 amps) and isn't the the charge rate, which will be somewhere in the ballpark of 500 watts less.

I think he has a 30 amp mod now...

AlexG said:
I think he has a 30 amp mod now...
The mod can go up to 25a, but it's limited to 20a for the U.S. market, as that's all that the J1772 connector on it is rated for. You might be thinking that because he now puts a 30 amp plug on it if you get the 20amp option. If you opt for the "old-style" 20 amp (L6-20) plug, then you'll be software limited to 16 amps by default.

TonyWilliams said:
MikeD said:
May I ask why you are interested in the 2013 Leaf "Trickle" EVSE over previous years?

I've had two of the 2011-2012 Panasonic / Nissan units, both modified to 16 amps. They are not compatible with "real" J1772 standard, since they apparently do not put out a negative 12 volt waveform on the 1kHz signal.

I would like to see if the 2013 Panasonic / Nissan unit does do that (and would therefore work on my Rav4). The unit that I'm selling is also Panasonic, but different than either Nissan supplied unit. It is current limited to 12 amps, but already modified to 240 volt service.
Interesting. Prior to the PiP coming to market, Toyota had a bunch of folks test their mule fleet for a week or two ... each driver. I'd already taken possession of our Leaf, so I gave the Panasonic EVSE a try on the PiP. Worked ok. So are you saying the 16 amp mod causes the wrong waveform?

Back