First used Leaf on the market

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
You buy the LEAF, lease it to the "other person", and eventually (after 3 years), sell it.

Would that allow you to keep the CA $5000 Rebate, if the car continued to be registered in CA?

From my understanding - sort of.

First - I believe that you have to lease the car through an official car leasing/sharing company. They require that the renter have insurance in order to rent the car - or they make a few bucks selling that multi-thousand dollar a year rental car type insurance. The car continues to be registered in your name, not the renters name or the rental company name.

I think the intent is for car sharing type arrangements - let people borrow you car but pay you for it and provide their own insurance for when they are driving your car.

It doesn't seem like such a stretch for a single person to rent your car from you for three years and then at the end of the three years, you could sell it to that person. That way - no issues with the CA rebate or the Fed credit. If the rental rate into your pocket is more then your payments, I guess you could make some money, while the renter gets a brand new car to rent for 3 years and then buy - essential their car even though (rather then a bank) owns the car.

Anyway - about the only mechanism that I've seen that might make even the slightest bit of sense - if it would all work the way it sounds.

hill said:
I'm hoping it's NOT the one already delivered to Redwood City. That will really sicken me. But, it aint illegal

it's not. mine is not for sale, at least not at a "regular" price.

I've been wondering if I'd agree on selling it for some kind of "stupid" price, and 45k is not what I call "stupid". I'm not sure what it would take to convince me, but I would not agree even at 100k.

Now, my owner wants to move back in, and my lease goes till June but would want to get in sooner... I'm going to have to find a new place where I can get the EVSE installed, and of course, I'm likely going to have to pay for the uninstall / re-install ... such a bother.

Here is the eBay listing for the Volt being offered for $1500 over MSRP at a Long Beach, CA Chevy dealer... If anyone is curious

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-Chevy-VOLT-Black-Black-Selling-Rights-Purchase-/220719953059?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3363ef34a3

mitch672 said:
FYI "Road & Track February 2011" issue has a comparision article between the Leaf and the Volt. pages 58- 66
http://www.roadandtrack.com/connect/issue-table-of-contents/road-track-february-2011

FYI, no offense to R & T, but they should be comparing the Volt to a Plug-in Prius or other plug-in hybrids, not a LEAF. There is no comparison because the Volt uses Premium gasoline...end of comparison. It's hilarious how these writers don't know how to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

LEAFfan said:
mitch672 said:
FYI "Road & Track February 2011" issue has a comparision article between the Leaf and the Volt. pages 58- 66
http://www.roadandtrack.com/connect/issue-table-of-contents/road-track-february-2011

FYI, no offense to R & T, but they should be comparing the Volt to a Plug-in Prius or other plug-in hybrids, not a LEAF. There is no comparison because the Volt uses Premium gasoline...end of comparison. It's hilarious how these writers don't know how to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

They are being compared because they are both capable of EV operation, the volt less than the leaf, they both have J-1772 ports. Some EV range is better than no EV range. I have a Prius, it's being sold to get a Volt. No leafs out here for at least 18 months.

Back