First production Leaf drive - Video

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bicster

It's in Japanese.. but here's a (journalist?) sitting behind the wheel of a production Leaf...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgQaDSo5-2Q[/youtube]

Can anyone translate?

Anyone else find it strange that it's a left hand drive car?

He gets it up to at least 89km/h (55mph)

720p available on YouTube... it looks like the range is showing 137km (85 miles?) ... if that's indeed what I think it is.

Once he gets up to 55mph the range drops precipitously.

Looks like the production cars are indeed going to get spec'd down as we'd anticipated/feared.

The battery charge indicator seems to be down by maybe 3 bars. On the photos I've seen (which may or may not be accurate) 4 bars are used and 132km of range remain. The traveled distance under those conditions is 85km. That would seem to bode well for the total range we've already discussed (under ideal circumstances) at something like 134 miles! Edit: Unless, of course, the car has done nothing like 85km already! :shock:

Some cost cutting was inevitable. So far it doesn't look like much has changed. I'm glad the high gloss stuff is gone - it would be fingerprint-laden in seconds.

I didn't notice the bars on the charge meter but I did notice the double row of switches to the driver's left.

Also notice that there are no cupholders at all in the forward part of the console. So I guess these aren't quite final either. I can't imagine they'd just leave that flat tray there..right? Do I maybe see a high voltage outlet cover and maybe a covered USB port there?

Bicster said:
Some cost cutting was inevitable. So far it doesn't look like much has changed. I'm glad the high gloss stuff is gone - it would be fingerprint-laden in seconds.

I didn't notice the bars on the charge meter but I did notice the double row of switches to the driver's left.

Also notice that there are no cupholders at all in the forward part of the console. So I guess these aren't quite final either. I can't imagine they'd just leave that flat tray there..right? Do I maybe see a high voltage outlet cover and maybe a covered USB port there?

Possibly.

I do notice the area around the switch panels still looks like it's a glossy black. That certainly looks better to me that all matte.

mwalsh said:
I do notice the area around the switch panels still looks like it's a glossy black. That certainly looks better to me that all matte.

It is glossy. If you look at the original Japanese article, there are a few static photos. Nothing really high-res, but enough to see the reflections of glossy black trim around the shifter.

Bicster said:

The 360 degree VR of the interior on Nissan's site also shows the double-row of switches. And the interior seems to be more of a light grey than the pearly white I've seen in earlier photos.

Nubo said:
The 360 degree VR of the interior on Nissan's site also shows the double-row of switches. And the interior seems to be more of a light grey than the pearly white I've seen in earlier photos.

Good catch. That looks like the same interior, and I can see the cupholders now. So maybe that flat spot on the center console under the head unit is for a cell phone or iPod... charging, USB access, etc...

I just noticed the four buttons (2x2) just under the left A/C vent...

When you say "production" do you mean pre-production? If it is production, that that would seem to mean the main assembly plant is already cranking these out by the hundreds. But somehow I doubt that is the case.

Small pic showing switches on left:

7_223455.jpeg

If you mash all those buttons quickly enough, it generates enough piezoelectric current to recharge the traction battery to 80% in 500 years. :twisted:

mwalsh said:
Well, how about an extra switch for the fog lamps. Perhaps an extra switch to disable the pedestrian warning sounds. That would be two additional to the ones we've seen in previous iterations.

They will probably make the pedestrian sound disabling a menu option on the LCD.

Bicster said:
Good catch. That looks like the same interior, and I can see the cupholders now. So maybe that flat spot on the center console under the head unit is for a cell phone or iPod... charging, USB access, etc...

We former Aptera followers know how important cupholders are in a mass market EV like the Aptera.
:twisted:

However, I will concede that the Leaf looks just fine with cupholders.

mwalsh said:
I hope not. I want to have my finger on that sucker as I hit the Start button!

LOL. I'm actually warming up to the idea of sound - one way to "show off" the EV - since we don't get those massive 0 emission decals.

evnow said:
LOL. I'm actually warming up to the idea of sound - one way to "show off" the EV - since we don't get those massive 0 emission decals.

Well, I'm actually trying hard to withhold judgement on that until I actually hear it. It greatly depends on how loud it is, and what it sounds like. After all, in one regard if it sounds truly unique, it may draw attention to your car in a parking lot to somebody who would otherwise be oblivious to the fact that it is electric. After all, I drive my PHEV-converted prius through parking lots in electric mode all the time (heck even a regular prius can do that) and nobody really realizes when I drive by that my engine is not running. Mostly because there are so many sounds from other automobiles around.

Of course, I think the whole idea of a noisemaker is lame because I have noticed that in a noisy parking lot, unless you are driving a big SUV, a motorcycle, or some modded rice-burner, the typical sedan cannot be heard over the ambient noise in the parking lot. Which means they need to start putting noisemakers on honda civics, Toyota Camry's, etc.

This car rolled by me in the parking lot the other day. I couldn't hear it, but I could see it of course. I wondered if it might be electric, but no, it's just one of those really quiet luxury sedans...they really should put noisemakers on those things :lol:

What's up with those new square side-view mirrors anyway, I hope those won't be on the final car...

Latest posts

Back