Fast charging confusion...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UkrainianKozak

Can anyone explain what is going on with Fast charging for my Leaf?
I'm using only one available Blink Fast charger in the area from time to time, and I remember few times before the behavior was kind of undercharging when I charge to 80%... If I charged the leaf using level 2, I get 10 bars and the 10s bar disappear after few miles of driving. Previously I noticed that when Fast charging to 80% I'm ending up
with 9 bars, so I guessed the Chademo charger is kind of trying to err on safe side when getting the charge level.
But yesterday I charged at the same location, to the same 80% and I noticed that up to 79% I had only second light blinking on the leaf indicating that I'm below 66%, right? and only few seconds before the charge stopped the third light started to blink. and when I get back in the car I had only 8 bars available... What gives? I would tolerate 2% difference between 80-78%, but 80% vs 66% is kind of big difference...
Anyone noticed something similar? have explanation?

I can’t explain what’s going on, but I can tell you that it’s typical/normal. In all of my Quick Charges here in Washington, the Quick Charges always thinks I have more in my pack than I do. I usually end up watching my SOC on my GID meter and ending the charge when that shows I have enough.

First of all, the three lights that mark charging do not indicate the exact percentage of charge in the car. 1 light blinking means that your car has 0-4 bars; 2 lights blinking mean 5-8 bars; and 3 lights blinking means 9-12 bars. In your particular example, the charge level between that 9 bar level and 8 bar level was likely very close (thus third light blinking suggests that it JUST entered the 9th bar, but the car conservatively estimated it as 8 full bars when you started the car).

Next, the Blink Chademo percentages do not match what is actually in the car. When I use the Blink, I usually tell it to charge to 90%, which generally corresponds to nearly full 9 bars or barely filled 10 bars in the Leaf.

To complicate things further, if you choose to charge to 100%, the Blink DC will behave in one of two ways:
If it says you are under 50% charge based on the Blink reading, the car will automatically stop the charge around the Blink 90% mark.
If you are above 50% charge based on the Blink reading, the car will attempt to actually charge as much as it can (which can be exceedingly slow as it gets closer to the top).

I can only speak for my experience on the Blink DCFC. If you want more details, here's a link that may be useful for you: http://www.saxton.org/EV/quickcharging.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the Blink DCFC, first of all, their SOC measurement tend to seem higher than the LEAF SOC measurement. For example, theirs may show 90%, but the LEAF only shows about 80%. So they're not apple to apple measurement consistency.

Secondly, if you start out your charging at below 50% SOC, the Blink DCFC will stop at 90% (your LEAF's 80%) even if you set the Blink to charge to 100%. If you want to fully charge to 100%, you'll need to restart the whole process again and the next time around, it'll charge to 100% of your LEAF's SOC.

If you start out your charging at above 50% SOC, the Blink will charge to 100% if selected so. As you can see, that's the same principle explained in the previous paragraph on how to charge to 100% from below 50% -> restart another charging cycle after it's done at 80%.

Charging below 50% to 50% is very fast. Charging between 50% to 80% is medium fast. Charging between 80-100% is fairly slow (only slightly faster then L2 speed).

Now you can see why it's so confusing.

waitingforaleaf said:
< cut >
To complicate things further, if you choose to charge to 100%, the Blink DC will behave in one of two ways:
If it says you are under 50% charge based on the Blink reading, the car will automatically stop the charge around the Blink 90% mark.
If you are above 50% charge based on the Blink reading, the car will attempt to actually charge as much as it can (which can be exceedingly slow as it gets closer to the top).

Correct. I QCed at the Blink VW ERL location and here are my observations:
Initial state of charge ~53%, requested 100% charge. It took almost 1 HOUR to complete my charge to 100% (12 bars full). Sheesh!

Back