EVSE Upgrade.com

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the EVSE Upgrade service is no longer available, are there any writeups that outline an equivalent DIY process? I haven't been able to find anything like that. Trying to figure out whether I want to get a smart or dumb L2 charger, or otherwise mod my L1 EVSE to be a portable L1/L2 charger.

I'm pretty sure there are youtube videos on how to do it.
I converted my 2011 120v 12 amp brick to 240v using ingineers pictures and instructions.
You can also buy a dumb 240V 16 amp evse for under $200.

Honestly, I'd probably just purchase a cheap Chinese EVSE. It would be cheaper than evseupgrade would have been and offer you more current. I suppose the absolute cheapest method would be to upgrade your OEM charger yourself and make it just a 12a L2 but when you'd consider your time and the fact you can purchase a new 16a L2 EVSE for <$200 I'd think that might be the way to go.
Also not sure if it's still available but there was someone here on MNL selling their used Chinese L2 EVSE for a great price, of $130 shipped and that one goes to 20a and is adjustable, that's what I'd get if I didn't already have several L2 EVSEs of various charge rates :D
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=31464
At the time evseupgrade was a viable deal, I did mine at the time but only because mine could be upgraded to a full 20a, a few years later and they maxed out at 16a because Nissan cheaped-out and used thinner wires.

If you don't have other evse units available such as public charging or know other people near by with an electric vehicle you should own 2 of them.
Because how are you going to diagnose a bad OBC or evse if you only have 1 evse?
If your evse quits (but the green power light still comes on) the dealer will charge you at least $200 if they even catch it before they start replacing parts on your car.

The only YouTube how-to video I can find for upgrading Leaf trickle charger EVSEs is for switching from a 200v to 240v transformer in 2012 hardware. Looks like the 240v transformer he installs is only about 7 USD, but I assume that my 2013 U.S. spec 110v EVSE would probably require very different retrofitting than just the transformer?

https://youtu.be/IXz5bDEiIi0

Thanks for the tip on the EVSE for sale, jjeff. I just realized that the 30% U.S. federal tax credit for EV charging equipment has been extended retroactively through 2020, so I may just bite the bullet and go with a Clipper Creek HCS-50, Chargepoint Home Flex, or JuiceBox 40 and be set for a while (even though my current Leaf obviously can't charge with more than 27A). Not very usable as portable equipment, of course, but at least there are a number of Nissan dealers and L2/L3 chargers in my area.

For anyone looking at this old thread:
the trickle chargers supplied with newer cars are easier to upgrade: just change the plug end to NEMA 6-15, and put in a NEMA 6-20 plug on your wall. Done. Internally they all universal power supplies that are just fine with 220V.

DIYev said:
If the EVSE Upgrade service is no longer available, are there any writeups that outline an equivalent DIY process? I haven't been able to find anything like that. Trying to figure out whether I want to get a smart or dumb L2 charger, or otherwise mod my L1 EVSE to be a portable L1/L2 charger.

Easiest option would be to monitor Amazon for any deals on Prime day next week. Grab a reasonable L2 20 amps and up and use the charge timer on the car. Gen 2's now have start stop times so easy even if in TOU areas. speed of the EVSE isn't important unless you are gone from home 14+ hours a day. My situation isn't typical but I set my timer to charge between 3 to 5 am (late start needed since I am FREQUENTLY not home earlier) and simply plug in about every other day. My Super off peak is 11 PM to 7 AM so I could easily do a much longer commute or drive should the need arise. With two timer settings, its simply a question of turning the right one on.

I work a 4 day schedule so on my off days, I found the 2 hours daily to be sufficient in most needs to cover the additional mileage I use.

If your orignial EVSE is in good shape and you are handy upgrading might still be a viable option.

If for some reason you decide to punt and get a 3rd party device I'd suggest https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector + a NACS to J1772 adapter. It's $230 for the Tesla part and you will probably be able to get a NACs to J1772 for under $100 (I expect those to come down in price as they become more common).

The "Tesla mobile connector" Includes:

1x Mobile Connector - 20’ cable
1x NEMA 5-15 Adapter
1x NEMA 14-50 Adapter

that way any money you spend on a new EVSE will still work with the EVs you get down the road and it's better quality than the cheapest options off amazon.

I used an open EVSE for a long time with my 3 leafs and switched to the Tesla mobile connector as my main EVSE when the J1772 connector gave out on the old EVSE.

So I've got a Tesla device plugged into my 14-50 and charging my leafs on a daily basis.

Back