EVSE Home Assessment Scheduling is Live!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mitch672 said:
nope, that's the name of a "Firesign Theater" alblum, "Waiting for the electrician, or someone like him"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_the_Electrician_or_Someone_Like_Him
and
http://www.firesigntheatre.com/albums/album.php?album=wfte

Yes, I know that. In fact, I still have a copy. It's in the garage, in a box along with "How Can You be in Two Places at Once when You're Not Anywhere at all," and "I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus." Within two feet of my non-free charger location.

Just scheduled mine for Sunday 20 June in Marin County / San Francisco area. Was surprised they would do a weekend. Have the confirmation email from Nissan (" thanks for setting up your home charging dock assessment with AeroVironment. your appointment is now scheduled for...") and a 2nd Nissan confirmation that confirms the confirmation ("your home charging dock assessment appointment with AeroVironment has now been confirmed").

Like other posters, I'm sure there will be cheaper alternatives at a later date, but I figure this will be part of the price of an earlier adopter. Oh well... I resist most tech early adoption, but I'll more than make up for it here!!

I currently have a single 120v circuit to the garage, so they'll have to run a new 240v line I'm guessing. Plus I think the PV (solar) install I just did on the house used up the last breaker spot on my board, so some juggling may be required. I might just bite the bullet and get a subpanel in the garage as I can imagine adding to the PV array by putting panels on the garage too. Ironically, a combined inverter / charger feed shouldn't require 2 x 240V lines (as one will always draw and the other always charge), but I doubt I'll convince anyone of that ;) -- I'm not an electrician, so if anyone knows anything about this and can advise, I'd appreciate it. Running wires to the garage isn't super hard (under a deck, through the garage wall), but I'd rather not pay for it twice.

Far northern coastal California here, and scheduled for July 20th. Jim with the silvery Big Lagoon Leaf (to be)

cinmar said:
I too received the e-mail after I scheduled the assessment for July16th. I already know what they'll tell me: I need to upgrade our 100A service on our 80 yr. old house to 200A. And, our box is in the furthest spot it could possibly be from the detached garage. This will be fun. I wonder how much it'll all cost. Isn't it like $2,000-$3,000 just to upgrade from 100A to 200A? Plus the cost of routing wiring to my garage? It needs to be done anyway, I guess, espcially if we want to install PV panels in the future.
My predicament is like yours, with 100A underground service, though not quite as bad on panel to garage. Incidentally, I already have a 7kW PV system. I got my evaluation invitation email this afternoon, but since I don't believe I need 240V charging, I thought I'd try a chat with Nissan. The result was much like what Clippy reported earlier today. They really are turning on the discouragement.

Ryan: Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Ryan. How may I help you today?

Me: I have a Leaf reservation (Apr 20) and see that I can now apply for an EVSE evaluation. But I only drive about 20-30 miles per day, so I concluded 120V charging would be all I needed. Should I just ignore the evaluation? Will that hang me up or slow me down in getting my Leaf?

Ryan: Thank you for your interest in the Nissan LEAF Electric Vehicle, I am happy to answer that for you. Please give me a moment to research your inquiry. While I gather this information for you, for demographic purposes, can I have your last name and zip code.

Me: [**suppressed**]

Ryan: The trickle charging will take about 20 hours and will require a dedicated 110 V line. This is very slow.

Me: But for 30 miles it will take less than 8 hours, which is fine for me.

Me: The dedicated 110 V line is not a problem.

Ryan: You will be asked to sign a waiver explaining you understand the limitations and the impact on the battery.

Me: OK, can do. Is that something I need to initiate action on?

[long pause here]

Ryan: I don't think so. Before we end our conversation, I want to ensure your needs have been met. Do you have any additional questions about what we discussed today?

Me: I am anxious to get the car ASAP. Will the waiver, or not requesting the evaluation, change my order priority?

[another pause]

Ryan: I'm not sure if it will.

Me: Not too encouraging, but thanks anyway. If these calls result in feedback, Nissan might be interested to know that I could still be convinced to switch to a GM Volt if I could get it significantly earlier than the Leaf.
I waited 25 minutes after posting that "threat" but got no further response. Finally the chat window shut down amid warnings and script error messages from Internet Explorer. (I avoid IE like the plague, but found I had to use it for the Nissan page.)

So, maybe they put me on their black list, you think?

cinmar and mm2001, I'm in the same boat as you.

I have 100 amp service on a crowded panel, already with a solar panel system breakers in place. I'm not sure where the city supply comes from, the street or the greenbelt behind my home.

I hope it won't be a huge project to upgrade my service. The panel is at the rear of the house, as far from the street as you can get and I can't see how they would be able to trench to get to the panel.

I'll keep you all posted. My appointment is July 1.

planet4ever said:
Me: Not too encouraging, but thanks anyway. If these calls result in feedback, Nissan might be interested to know that I could still be convinced to switch to a GM Volt if I could get it significantly earlier than the Leaf.

I waited 25 minutes after posting that "threat" but got no further response. Finally the chat window shut down amid warnings and script error messages from Internet Explorer. (I avoid IE like the plague, but found I had to use it for the Nissan page.)

So, maybe they put me on their black list, you think?

LOL. Don't think they would have a "black list". I'm sure they will sell to anyone with or without the charger - just so long as you sign the waiver.

I think everyone should get a charger installed - who knows how long the 50% credit lasts - though it may get cheaper later ...

Clippy said:
mitch672 said:
nope, that's the name of a "Firesign Theater" alblum, "Waiting for the electrician, or someone like him"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_the_Electrician_or_Someone_Like_Him
and
http://www.firesigntheatre.com/albums/album.php?album=wfte

Yes, I know that. In fact, I still have a copy. It's in the garage, in a box along with "How Can You be in Two Places at Once when You're Not Anywhere at all," and "I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus." Within two feet of my non-free charger location.

... only some of us have better seats :)

Rat said:
I just got my email 15 minutes ago. Dates were available in early July. I was a bit put off that we have to fork over $100 just to be assessed. I know it applies to the final cost, but what if we don't like the car when we finally get to test drive it and we cancel the purchase? This is the first non-refundable thing we're being charged for, and although it's only $100, my instinct is to wait and see how others fare with their assessments. Since the car isn't going to be available until December at the earliest, I don't see any harm in waiting until August for this so I can see if any issues come up from the earlier adopters like you guys. E.g., other electricians who do it for half the cost, unexpected high costs for the charger installation due to home issues (that I can then check out for myself), etc. What if I buy an Aptera instead? Or maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but I couldn't quite bring myself to put that credit card number in there yet.

I agree with this. I feel the process is flawed. I too, want to test drive the vehicle before paying the non-refundable $100. If I test drive it and I like it, I am definitely committed and the $100 is justified. However, if I test drive the Leaf and don't like it, it will surely be the most expensive test drive I ever had in my life. :-(

Anyway, for the commitment options below, can someone explain which one will be eligible for the installation rebate? Thanks!
1. pay AeroVironment Inc. in full. you can do this anytime after you've ordered your Nissan LEAF
2. Include the price in your Nissan LEAF retail installment loan
3. include the cost in your Nissan LEAF lease

planet4ever said:
(I avoid IE like the plague, but found I had to use it for the Nissan page.)
The Nissan page works flawlessly for me, and I'm running Firefox 3.6.

I live in Los Angeles but the home assessment part of My Account on Leaf site has not yet been activated for me. Nor have I received an email.....still waiting.

johnr said:
planet4ever said:
(I avoid IE like the plague, but found I had to use it for the Nissan page.)
The Nissan page works flawlessly for me, and I'm running Firefox 3.6.
Between Firefox and American Express, I lost an hour trying to convince Nissan to take $99 from me on Apr 20. The Firefox problem could have been cookie-related, because they kept bouncing me out to "would you like to sign up for our mailing list." I do use selective cookie blocking, but couldn't find anything I was blocking that looked like theirs.

evnow said:
LOL. Don't think they would have a "black list". I'm sure they will sell to anyone with or without the charger - just so long as you sign the waiver.

I think everyone should get a charger installed - who knows how long the 50% credit lasts - though it may get cheaper later ...
Yes, I think they will be willing to sell me a car, but the question is, when? They may well not want to have 120V-only customers early in the game.

As for getting the EVSE anyway, the electrical system in my house is an absolute mess (don't ask). I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to get a permit signed off without shelling out $5K or more for some really major rewiring. The current credit maxes at $2K, so I'd be out at least $3K, and for nothing useful, as I see it. Incidentally, the newly introduced bill increases the $2K limit if it passes as written and if I wait until next year. But it would still cost me a bundle.

Bicster said:
I will install it myself if they'll let me, but I imagine it would be hard to obtain one.

it will available for purchase like any other device and that device would not/should not be the only one that would work. its nothing but a transformer. the smart charging part of the cycle is in the car.

as far as DIY, sure why not?? like any other electrical mod. u must get a permit and have it inspected after its installed.

i built my previous home and wired it. i wont be doing this, but i have talked with my electrician friends and they feel that it can be done for less than half the advertised price. in fact, way less than half. i am not having it installed since i am renting at this time. so its a future project for me anyway

DaveinOlyWA said:
Bicster said:
I will install it myself if they'll let me, but I imagine it would be hard to obtain one.

it will available for purchase like any other device and that device would not/should not be the only one that would work. its nothing but a transformer. the smart charging part of the cycle is in the car.

Why would there be a transformer in the EVSE? Won't the car's built-in charger accept a wide range of AC inputs?

I haven't seen any evidence that Aerovironment plans to sell EVSEs to anyone but approved contractors. It looks like getting anything else may slow down the purchase process.

Bicster said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Bicster said:

Why would there be a transformer in the EVSE? Won't the car's built-in charger accept a wide range of AC inputs?

I haven't seen any evidence that Aerovironment plans to sell EVSEs to anyone but approved contractors. It looks like getting anything else may slow down the purchase process.

There is no transformer, perhaps a 12v one to run leds and relays. All this is is a box with relays that turns the power on and off and provides some other safety functions. It's a smart switch, NOT a charger.

DaveinOlyWA said:

I'm sure there is some electronics involved to communicate with the car.

EVDRIVER said:
There is no transformer, perhaps a 12v one to run leds and relays. All this is is a box with relays that turns the power on and off and provides some other safety functions. It's a smart switch, NOT a charger.

There's also a GFCI and some very simple communication going on. I just finished reading the specification. :cool:

I would bet Nissan may offer a charger upgrade option in August. Nissan states the charger spec as 3.3kw, if that is fixed the electrical requirement for 240V is very low, in fact if you have enough existing 12 gage standard wires from a location to the panel that would be adequate. A 3.3kw charger will only draw about 15A. So two 20A circuits are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back