Electric drive vehicle credit 8936 decreased/rejected by IRS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyouOB said:
astrorob said:
theaveng said:
This is why I pay so little in withholding tax. I don't have to sit-around and wait for the IRS to refund money. It's already in my bank.

The government will hand-out 400 billion to random companies, 1/4 of which go bankrupt and never repay the money, but heaven forbid one of the citizens (from which all legitimate power derives) ask for a $7500 credit under the U.S. EV program. I love my country but hate my government.

do you really have to spam every thread with this nonsense?
haters gotta hate (even if they leave in paradise, apparently.)
AS I SAID YESTERDAY but which you were too lazy to read: The IRS are *servants* of the People. They should be treating us with Respect and patience, not threatening letters which scare and intimidate. I am tired of the governemnt squashing innocent citizens underfoot as if they were bugs. I am tired of the government acting like the RIAA or MPAA (they mail-out threatening letters too). The People are the masters in this democratic Republic and we should be treated with respect, not hate. "Your $7500 credit is denied. We are punishing you wityh a $1500 fine you worthless piece of crap. And if you don't pay the U.S. government will send-out federal marshals to have you arrested."

Cinnabar said:
astrorob said:
i've heard that if you ask nicely and explain that there was no intent to defraud, that they will waive the fines. i don't expect to need to do this, because it seems to me that there's no reason why the credit should be rejected based on other peoples' resolution of the problem in this thread.

It is exactly what I went through. I faxed a copy of their report (required), a copy of my title, my purchase agreement, a copy of the window sticker and this page http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/30D.-...-Drive-Motor-Vehicles-–--Nissan-North-America that I labeled manufacturers certification. I also printed some small labels that had my name and social security number and put them on each page. About a week later I called to make sure the fax had been associated with my account which it had. Then I waited for the full refund plus interest.

thanks for the pointer to the IRS page. i will include that. did you fax back the entire package they sent you? for me it's probably 25 pages of stuff. when i called they told me to just send the cover letter, and the explanation page, with the proof attached.

i was planning on mailing it all in rather than faxing it. i'm not sure i can make the sales contract legible in a fax.

i'm assuming that if the credit is accepted, then the fine goes away. i was really talking about situations where you legitimately made a mistake on your taxes - at least the first time the IRS is very likely to waive the fine.

astrorob said:
Cinnabar said:
astrorob said:
i've heard that if you ask nicely and explain that there was no intent to defraud, that they will waive the fines. i don't expect to need to do this, because it seems to me that there's no reason why the credit should be rejected based on other peoples' resolution of the problem in this thread.

It is exactly what I went through. I faxed a copy of their report (required), a copy of my title, my purchase agreement, a copy of the window sticker and this page http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/30D.-...-Drive-Motor-Vehicles-–--Nissan-North-America that I labeled manufacturers certification. I also printed some small labels that had my name and social security number and put them on each page. About a week later I called to make sure the fax had been associated with my account which it had. Then I waited for the full refund plus interest.

thanks for the pointer to the IRS page. i will include that. did you fax back the entire package they sent you? for me it's probably 25 pages of stuff. when i called they told me to just send the cover letter, and the explanation page, with the proof attached.

i was planning on mailing it all in rather than faxing it. i'm not sure i can make the sales contract legible in a fax.

i'm assuming that if the credit is accepted, then the fine goes away. i was really talking about situations where you legitimately made a mistake on your taxes - at least the first time the IRS is very likely to waive the fine.

I faxed back something like 8 pages of the 25 in the package. I think they just asked to a copy of the report to be sent, but I could verify this tonight when I get home. And yes, once the credit was accepted, you no longer have filed an inaccurate return so the $1500 penalty no longer applies.

Cinnabar said:
I faxed back something like 8 pages of the 25 in the package. I think they just asked to a copy of the report to be sent, but I could verify this tonight when I get home. And yes, once the credit was accepted, you no longer have filed an inaccurate return so the $1500 penalty no longer applies.

thanks. i ended up faxing the whole thing. i called two days later and spoke to a very nice examiner who verified that they had received the fax and that it should be resolved soon, within the next 8 weeks anyway. she explained that they are completely crushed by people fraudulently claiming the first-time home buyer's credit - the number of credits they were getting made no sense given the state of the home market - and so congress instructed them to start reviewing returns.

and for our friends that think the federal marshals will be knocking down doors, they said that they usually send 3 examination letters at 45 day intervals giving the taxpayer almost half a year to get their paperwork in before they finally obtain a court judgement saying that the taxpayer must pay up.

Well I finally got my package from the IRS denying my $7,500 EV credit. I'll FAX them my sales contract and registration Monday. Maybe I will get my refund by the end of the year after all. :roll:

Got my "examination" letter today.

It says I owe a bit over $9,000. $7,500 for the EV credit that I submitted documentation for with my return, plus the $1500 penalty and a little interest.

Nice to be treated like a tax evading criminal and slapped with an "Accuracy - IRC 6662" penalty when I have always gone out of my way to file truthful taxes, used a tax preparer and submitted all my documentation with my return.

I was especially careful to include all the required documentation for my EV credit with my return.

Because some people cheat is no excuse to treat people who honestly file tax returns like common criminals. While may take some time to enforce these penalties, it's still no excuse for the initial letter and threats, especially when the IRS has done nothing to validate or invalidate the claim.

IRS as usual....

I guess I can be thankful that the IRS has not seized my 2011 LEAF Electric Vehicle because they don't believe I purchased it!!! :eek:

I suspect at this rate, that everyone who claimed the electric vehicle credit should be prepared to receive this "examination" letter. I suspect the IRS is doing this to everyone who claimed the credit. So have your documentation ready, learn from the experiences of others in this thread and send your documentation in to the IRS to prove you're not a criminal tax fraud... The letter gives you 30 days to respond, and others have commented that the IRS will send out multiple letters before taking further action, but I'd recommend responding as soon as you get the letter to get the IRS out of your hair, and allowing ample time for further mix ups with the IRS if they loose the fax, still don't believe you or just plain don't bother to look.

It's unfortunate that taxpayers don't get accuracy penalty refunds where the IRS pays us $1500 for their inaccuracies and false accusations... I've always been a dreamer and idealist....

Not everyone is getting questioned, by boss got his credit without any problems at all. They didn't hit me with the penalty, only interest. Not sure why they are going after some and not all, again we are talking about the IRS, so nothing should surprise me. I'll give them until next Monday before I call and see if they will process my return.

Ready2plugin said:
Not everyone is getting questioned, by boss got his credit without any problems at all. They didn't hit me with the penalty, only interest. Not sure why they are going after some and not all, again we are talking about the IRS, so nothing should surprise me. I'll give them until next Monday before I call and see if they will process my return.
I got the credit when I filed, at least the IRS accepted my tax return and payment on 4/13/2012. Now, almost 6 months later, they are accusing me of cheating with a $1500 "Accuracy" penalty. That's for a tax return prepared by a tax preparer, who would also be liable if he had knowledge of a tax fraud. So the IRS is just accusing people of tax fraud ($1500 Accuracy penalty), because they can and they are being indiscriminate, even if you file a perfect return that is easily verifiable. I'm not sure I would assume anyone has "gotten" the credit until two years pass from the date they file their return without accusations from the IRS. If your boss purchased, I wouldn't assume he is safe until a year or two after he filed his return. The IRS is running way behind, there is a whole stampede of shoes yet to drop. Watch your mailbox for big envelopes!

ElectricVehicle said:
Ready2plugin said:
I got the credit when I filed, at least the IRS accepted my tax return and payment on 4/13/2012. Now, almost 6 months later, they are accusing me of cheating with a $1500 "Accuracy" penalty. That's for a tax return prepared by a tax preparer, who would also be liable if he had knowledge of a tax fraud. So the IRS is just accusing people of tax fraud ($1500 Accuracy penalty), because they can and they are being indiscriminate, even if you file a perfect return that is easily verifiable. I'm not sure I would assume anyone has "gotten" the credit until two years pass from the date they file their return without accusations from the IRS. If your boss purchased, I wouldn't assume he is safe until a year or two after he filed his return. The IRS is running way behind, there is a whole stampede of shoes yet to drop. Watch your mailbox for big envelopes!

Good point, they can always look backwards instead of forward. I would suggest that everyone who purchased this year just go ahead and put a copy of the sales contract and registration with your return when you send it in. So much for electronic filing....

Ready2plugin said:
ElectricVehicle said:
Ready2plugin said:

Good point, they can always look backwards instead of forward. I would suggest that everyone who purchased this year just go ahead and put a copy of the sales contract and registration with your return when you send it in. So much for electronic filing....

+1 on the tax preparer, a CPA in my case that I've used for years and will work on my behalf if something similar happens; the only other comment I wanted to add is this $1,500 'penalty' must be related to the amount because I had a disallowed deduction a few years back (for I think ~ $500) as I didn't include a FedTax ID for the provider --- a college in this case, the notice came in the form of a prepaid mailed card which I thought was odd; but we provided the information and never heard back. Seem to recall something similar on other things and the IRS typically uses a sledgehammer when something simpler could be done. We filled electronically early in the year and no issues so hopefully no follow up either, we'll see!

Interest? Penalties? Jeez. I guess I should be glad they are merely still just examining our return.

They finally did get around to asking for our contract and registration information a few weeks ago. Just got a letter from them yesterday (two, actually, identical they were) saying that they're looking over our stuff and we should know something by December 10th.

2012, I hope.

Finally got a reply from the IRS stating that they received my documentation and that they should review it by Dec 15th. Crazy this is taking so long....Maybe I'll have my cash before Christmas.

I last posted about 10 pages back. I finally received an audit notice (they call it an "examination") a while back. My CPA said we needed to re-file with some proof the car was electric, all I had was the window sticker and sales contract form the dealer so we sent that in. I got a call about two weeks ago from the IRS saying they had no record of ownership of the vehicle, I'm assuming this in some sort of national or state registry, and they asked me to fax a copy of the registration, which I did. The person at the IRS did call back immediately after I faxed the registration to confirm she had received the fax, which was very nice of her to do. Last Tuesday I had a pending deposit in my checking account for the total amount requested plus a little interest it appears. Today I received a mailed letter saying they would be paying the full amount.

I'm now expecting a W2 soon for the interest from the IRS.

lonndoggie said:
They finally did get around to asking for our contract and registration information a few weeks ago. Just got a letter from them yesterday (two, actually, identical they were) saying that they're looking over our stuff and we should know something by December 10th.

2012, I hope.
It was about the same for me too. They said they would get back to me by the 12th of December. I'll be darned if I didn't actually get a letter (two, actually) on the 10th stating that my return was accepted without changes and I should expect a refund in 6-8 weeks :shock:.
Interestingly, the letter was dated Dec. 17th. I guess they were working so fast they broke the time barrier :lol: .
I started checking the IRS refund status page and it eventually said my refund would be deposited at my credit union on the 12th, and it was! With interest! :D :D And it only took 8 months.... :roll:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have followed it and am happy to see that things are finally getting settled - hopefully for all that are deserving.

That was quite a fiasco.

packrat09 said:
lonndoggie said:

2012, I hope.
It was about the same for me too. They said they would get back to me by the 12th of December. I'll be darned if I didn't actually get a letter (two, actually) on the 10th stating that my return was accepted without changes and I should expect a refund in 6-8 weeks :shock:.
Interestingly, the letter was dated Dec. 17th. I guess they were working so fast they broke the time barrier :lol: .
I started checking the IRS refund status page and it eventually said my refund would be deposited at my credit union on the 12th, and it was! With interest! :D :D And it only took 8 months.... :roll:

I finally got my letter too....no changes and my money should be in my account by the 18th.

TickTock said:
My letter came yesterday but said the remainder of my refund may take 6-8 week to arrive.
My letter said the same thing. The total time from when I got the letter until my refund arrived at my credit union was less than a week.
There's still hope, unless, of course, it would be better to receive it in 2013. :roll: :roll:

Back