Drive On: Plug-in car sales hit 100,000 ... Say What???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillaWhat

Saw this on USA Today.com

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2013/05/17/plug-in-cars-tesla-fisker/2202733/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where are these 100,000 cars?

Yogi62 said:
Assuming sold = delivered, that means 100,000 out of 246,000,000.

1 out of 2,460.

Pretty easy not to see them.

http://electricdrive.org/index.php?ht=d/sp/i/20952/pid/20952
http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2010/0...leet-shrank-2-last-year-biggest-de-80794.html

We are pretty EV aware?
15000 +/- leafs
7000 ? Tesla
4 Coda :shock:
Are we calling Volts EVs? Ok like 15000 more
Still no where near 100,000.
Am I missing like 60,000 cars
Hell, I had to wait 2 years for my leaf.
Where did these people get all their cars?

You seem to be forgetting the Plug-In Prius, Ford C-Max Energi, Ford Focus EV, Rav4EV, Mitsubishi MiEV, Smart ED and others I can't think of right now... I have no idea if they add up to 100,000 or not though.

KillaWhat said:

We are pretty EV aware?
15000 +/- leafs
7000 ? Tesla
4 Coda :shock:
Are we calling Volts EVs? Ok like 15000 more
Still no where near 100,000.
Am I missing like 60,000 cars
Hell, I had to wait 2 years for my leaf.
Where did these people get all their cars?

Your numbers a way off. Volt sold about 7000 in their first year as I recall and 23,000 last year. Add another 5,000 so far this year and that alone is 35,000.

Leaf is not too far behind that, are they? I know they are selling more this year so far. Say another 25k.

Tesla is around 10000.

That alone is 75,000.

I just posted in the main sales thread ...

Totals-Plugins-table.png

Add the number of motorcycles that are all electric.

MY 2012 Zero is about 200 (Mine is #199). MY 2013 will easily double or triple that. These bikes are fast, fun, and economical. If you ride, take one for a test drive, you will be impressed.

Caracalover said:
Add the number of motorcycles that are all electric.

MY 2012 Zero is about 200 (Mine is #199). MY 2013 will easily double or triple that. These bikes are fast, fun, and economical. If you ride, take one for a test drive, you will be impressed.

I wish my neighbor had an all electric motorcycle. I can't tell you how many times my wife gets woken up at 2am by his Harley.

Ford C-Max Energi , Ford Focus EV , Rav4EV , Mitsubishi MiEV, Smart ED
I'm guessing total sales for all these models combined to be about 15.

This is all plug in prius, leaf, volt.

I have seen a few more Leafs around in recent days. I see a half decent number of Volts. Plug in prius are hard to tell without being close.
End of April we had 95,364 plugins sold - not counting Fisker & Coda.
So 95,368 counting Fisker and Coda.

Model S is doing seriously well, I am surprised for sure.
I can't tell you how many times my wife gets woken up at 2am by his Harley.
That is just obnoxious. :(

I'm thinking about installing a train horn in my leaf so motorcycle riders can "hear me coming". It would work better than the reason cycle riders use to justify their noise disturbance since the only time you hear them is after they have typically recklessly passed by you at 90 miles per hour. I am baffled how all that noise is legal.

KillaWhat said:
Saw this on USA Today.com

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2013/05/17/plug-in-cars-tesla-fisker/2202733/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where are these 100,000 cars?
They're all down in our work site parking basement ... trying to rob me of my favorite charge spot - even though the majority can get home w/out the benefit of the paltry 9kWh's (or way less) that they may obtain there.
:D
I'm guessing where you live make a huge difference on how many cross your path. PLUS ... since the PiP & regular prius look so similar (as does the Fusion and others) ... you may actually see a bunch, and never know it ... unluss the have a HUGE sticker on the side ah la 1990's RAV4-ev's and the like.

I'm sure this won't make me popular..... but even though technically they have PLUGS, I don't consider things with ICE's under the hood to be EV's.
They have commitment issues. :roll:

It is a whole different mindset when you truly NEVER go near a gas station...
Can't explain it if you don't have it.

So while I guess a PIP is somehow good for the EV movement, I just view Volts and their ilk as impediments to my charging spots.
(cause they are ALWAYS in one for 6 hours charging up their 12 "D" cells when I need it)

I'm not saying they don't have a place in all this, and they have some really savvy engineering in there.... they just aren't EV's

Sorry. It's how I feel.

Although, when my GOM is flashing 4....4....3 because the L3 Blink I was headed to when it was saying 20 is apparently down again,
I'd pull an APU out of my cargo organizer if I had one.... So .....

My partner likes to compare the Leaf's evolution with that of the Prius. Remember how exotic the Prius hybrid seemed when it first came out? Now it is just another gas car, albeit a very efficient one.

• In its first 3 years (1997-1999), Prius sold 33,200 units worldwide (all in Japan).
  • In its first 3 years (2010-2012), the Leaf has sold 47,360 units worldwide (in 10 countries).

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So this crazy new EV technology is getting better market traction than did the crazy new hybrid technology back then. And there is every indication 2013 will be a record year for Leaf and EV sales in general. Enjoy standing out while you can, because in another 7-10 years, the Leaf will be just another boring EV, as ubiquitous as Prius is today. Already the commute roads in San Jose are thick with Leafs.

You are so right about the popularity of LEAFs in the San Jose area. It is now rare to not see at least one on any given day. Today on Meridian Ave. there were three stopped at one intersection at the same time. Truly Amazing!

Back